Air Conditioning Not cold when stationary? Any Ideas?

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
Noticed the other day that when I was waiting in traffic, the air from the vents was heating up to a point that its not chilled any more even tho it was cold when moving. The indicator on the climate is still on but just pumping warm air. As soon as Im on the move again, it goes back to a normal ice cold temp.

What I have noticed is Im sure the cooling fan on the radiator isnt coming on like it used to, can any of you confirm this is the likely cause? Its obviously loosing the ram of air.

Thanks

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
I dont see why it would need recharging as when Im moving..30mph+ its nice and frosty. Just when Im crawling in traffic. It has to be the cooling fan?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
It most liley need recharging.

when you moving the condense air from the air is blown out at a faster rate, which makes you fell more colder. so when you are parked there is no wind so is comming in. (Abit hard to explain)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
It most liley need recharging.

when you moving the condense air from the air is blown out at a faster rate, which makes you fell more colder. so when you are parked there is no wind so is comming in. (Abit hard to explain)

But that wont be affected by it being re-gassed.

If the temperature was consistently low, I'd instantly say re-gas it. But I don't think that's the problem.

I think it's more likely that the air con unit itself needs attention as it sounds like it's struggling to create the air pressure needed to cool the car when there isn't a steady rush of air.

Either that, or somewhere along the line you have a blockage! Checked your pollen filter recently?

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
but if the gas isnt up to much then surely a that would make the unit stuggle and not do the job effectively, a reachard is only 25 quid, but i'd maybe check the fans as you say along with pipes etc first!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
That's true, but then it goes back to the fact that when moving it's doing a perfect job.....?

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
Yea, when Im moving its perfectly frosty. Excuse my ignorance regarding air conditioning systems but when it was working fine whilst crawling in traffic, I could hear the main cooling fan come on the radiator every now and again. Ive not noticed that recently.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
It's not the gas(refrigerant) as the system is working fine when the car is moving and air is flowing through the condensor and cooling the refrigerant. It has to be the condensor fan that isn't working. I work with refrigerant display units at work so this is a fairly educated guess.

Last edited:

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
It's not the gas(refrigerant) as the system is working fine when the car is moving and air is flowing through the condensor and cooling the refrigerant. It has to be the condensor fan that isn't working. I work with refrigerant display units at work so this is a fairly educated guess.

That was my guess too. It had a new glo plug under warrenty a few months back and Ive not used the AC much...I'll check the connections. Cheers

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
It could also be the sensor(if it has one) that tells the condensor fan to turn on, after checking these I would then suspect the refigerant charge.

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
Thanks peter0976. Any ideas where the sensor is? Could be a bad connection there unless its not acessable.

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
Just to let you know. Had the car booked into LC Charles in Crewe and they had to replace the engine cooling fans and the control unit. I basically had no cooling whatsoever for the engine or air conditioning. Good job its a diesel.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
That's not good, was it an expensive bill? Aren't the cooling fans and control unit a damn expensive setup?

STEYRMASTER

hi chaps had same poblem on my 04 leon cupra tdi it turned out to be one of the fuses mounted on the battery had blown!
I would check that first as they cost £1 from the dealers and it is a realy common fault.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
It's worth bearing in mind that if it was the fan fuse that had blown, this is normally indicative of the slow fans having failed - the constant stop/start of the fast fans causes the fuse to overheat.

Do a search for 'LCR twin fans' - there's a big thread there about this - if slow fans are dead, solution is either new OEM setup which is very expensive or there's an aftermarket fix available

Danbo

Sideways is forwards
Feb 20, 2004
Visit site
Cheers for that Leigh, reading with interest.

Was not the fuse for me...... fan not switching on at all.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise