air intake

ibizadoyle

Oct 10, 2008
pembroke dock (wales)
hi im goin to experiment in creating a new intake next week as i have time off and access to a rr free of charge so i shall keep you posted on the results as it is much cheaper the the 160 intake and it also looks oem but is it possible to have to much air being sucked in or is it a case of the more the better?

thanks simon

ibizadoyle

Oct 10, 2008
pembroke dock (wales)
tidy job!!! yea i heard that it takes between 70 to 100 miles for the maf to completely adjust or something?? when you say de-restrict you mean make it more free flowing and larger diameter?

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
hi im goin to experiment in creating a new intake next week as i have time off and access to a rr free of charge so i shall keep you posted on the results as it is much cheaper the the 160 intake and it also looks oem but is it possible to have to much air being sucked in or is it a case of the more the better?

Thanks simon

let us know how you get on.

Pictures ;)

Mar 13, 2010
the standard airbox can be modded slighty, there are a few bits that can be taken out to get abit more air going in, the pd160 intake is a good idea, but £90 is alot of money for abit of plastic tubing.

ibizadoyle

Oct 10, 2008
pembroke dock (wales)
yea will do gt my 10 days off from shift nxt week so doin it then!!!! gt all the gear so gnna go over fit it and get it straight on the rolers to see if there a difference. if i put a gauze in the intake then the one in the maf wouldn be needed is it? so i could remove that then yea?

thanks

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Doesn't the gauze "straighten" the airflow over the MAF so it gets accurate readings ? In which case I'd leave it alone.

Remember when doing any comparison RR runs, ensure there are no other variables that could affect things; if there is a power increase from the intake, it's likely to be very small - and you often get small variances between RR runs anyway even when nothing has changed, so I'd suggest doing several runs first and averaging the results, and then doing several runs each time you've made a change, and averaging those too. Otherwise if you see say, a 2bhp peak increase just on one run, you won't know whether that's because of any changes you've made, or just typical variance you'd get anyway, in which case your results would be meaningless.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
or remove the gauze in the maf but then you may end up with debris from the road in your engine :s

It was something i'd heard of petrol cupra drivers trying but never saw any results once it was done and to be honest it would make very little difference on a diesel.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yes i remember alot about the gauze in the past, with i think it was techie talking about it straightening the airflow. There has been a lot of talk about this in the past so a search should get you some results which will help.

In my view the differences are so small if any its not worth the time or effort. Put a better breating intake onto the mk4 ibiza pd130 engine and a green panel filter and job done. Sometimes people over analyze things for little gain.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
and here we go

a9c3e663.jpg

a95c9d2b.jpg

9ace38fe.jpg

get some more done then so we can see it better

ibizadoyle

Oct 10, 2008
pembroke dock (wales)
it worked quite well i put the original scoop bit onto the new trumper and sealed it with lagging tape il send you another pic if tht ok andrew? gettin on the rollers 2mos nothing noticable although it does smoke less and seems a lil more responsive!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members