Allen key for removing front shocks

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
its a sh1t sized one... but make sure you get it right! i couldnt find the right one either for some reason? get the smallest one that doesnt fit cos its too big and grind it down... i ended up rounding mine because i tried to use a too small allen key, and then ended up grinding the struts okk :):):) not cool.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
aftermarket will be a 6mm one though... so bear that in mind

I use a spark plug socket to undo the top nut. while holding the damper rod with the allen key.

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
andyj said:
IIRC it's 22mm socket you need to hold the top nut.

22mm spark plug socket is about £3 from GSF ;) Bought one at the weekend to service the Ibiza ;)

Got the spark plug socket i think, tea leafed a nice britool ratchet and socket set from my grandad :D Bless him

ACH

Mar 7, 2005
Over there
I used a friends spanner, which had ground down edges on the 22mm end. While my other m8 held the allen key I wound the spanner. Glad the lad leant me the spanner tbh as it made the job a whole lot easier.

As for allen keys, treat yourself to a nice set in a box from somewhere like the pro halfords ones or the likes. Tools never come in wrong :)

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
you can buy a socket that looks like a mouse has bitten half of it away from the side, cant remember the name but is very handy, means you can use the socket set handle and an allen key to loosen.

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Sorted out the tool situation, trusty next door neighbour dude :)

Using a nice shaped spanner and his 7mm allen key. Went to halfords and the silly boy didnt have a clue.

Iv got the rears on and should get the fronts on saturday. These 60mm of thread left on the rears and its slammed good [B)]

cheers for the help guys

Last edited:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
ive got around 6 full turns left (6 threads anyway) on the rears, i need to raise the fronts a little as im getting rubbing on the arb.
DSC00337.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
cordobabrendy said:
ive got around 6 full turns left (6 threads anyway) on the rears, i need to raise the fronts a little as im getting rubbing on the arb.
DSC00337.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

theres lots of turns left on mine, how low do fk think you should be running :happy:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.