Alloy wheel refurb guide

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I'm doing another set at the moment for my golf.....they were in a right sorry state but hopefully soon I'll have some finished pics.....this set will be shiny shiny and painted with a gun :D

StealthInspired

Apr 18, 2011
UK
Great guide. Dont know if I trust myself to do such a cracking job on the wheels as you did in your opening Post adam_cupra. Want my wheels powder coated, looking around for prices.

Recommendations are probably worth more than good luck, with getting a good bodyshop to do them.
Will read who others have used in the past, and go from there.

Lee - Cupra

Mar 3, 2011
This is a cracking thread so thanks to everyone that has contributed to it, I'm going to be painting my TT Comps this weekend (matte black)
Pictures to follow..

roman6k2tdi

thats alot of money.im a powdercoater and we dont charge that much.you should be looking £25-£30 per rim

Hey guys, I'm new here and just stumbled on this thread cuz I had my rims completely repaired recently and I'm a bit shocked by the prices you're saying here. I hope you make tons more money than us czechs. :D I had my rims dipped to get rid of the former paint which cost like £9 per wheel. Repair was £110 for all 4 rims - one was cracked a little so had to be welded. Then I had them powder coated in gloss black which was £6.50 per wheel and really it's not like it's cheap because they're bad at it. Might even upload some photos later.

To the OP: awesome guide mate, will get a lot of usage for sure *thumbs up*

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
I see u pol do dark grey primer is that a good idea if im doing my gloss wheels black?

for paint do i want 3 cans of Powercan - Gloss black or 3 cans of Powercan Gloss Black Top Coat?

also they have a product called: Powercan - UV resistant clearcoat, any thoughts?

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
These are the latest sets, all corroded and kerbed, had to strip all the paint off and start again on both sets

450242797o.jpg

9999l.jpg

96362530.jpg

Done these to, crap pic but they were silver, kerbed and corroded.

phone009u.jpg

neilfergusonuk

You'll get most of it in halfords. If you can, go to maccess though.

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Great guide! Doing my FR's, i have sanded, primed and applied first colour coat and it was looking nice, but after putting the second colour coat on I have run marks, should i ahve sanded it down between each coat?

Thanks

Last edited:

Kgroot.nl

Jan 16, 2011
I've started with the Cupra's.

The bad condition they were in.
zmh25u.jpg

j5uuq0.jpg

2ivmzao.jpg

2nssxhs.jpg

Grootste probleem, oxidatie:
34nmx4o.jpg

They are sanded and repaired now:
55rn7c.jpg

2a6vyti.jpg

5v283c.jpg

2zovpro.jpg

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Great guide! Doing my FR's, i have sanded, primed and applied first colour coat and it was looking nice, but after putting the second colour coat on I have run marks, should i ahve sanded it down between each coat?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you mate...Any advice is good :)

Sorry for late reply I not been on here for months.

You can sand out the runs with 15000 wet and dry [do it wet] before applying the laquer, if you cut through the paint its no problem just put a bit more on.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.