Alloygator

bzoow

Mar 30, 2011
Has anyone fitted the alloygator product for wheel protection or got a view on them?
I would like just a small margin for error with my titanium alloys and £60 sounds reasonable but they do have a warning about not recommended for machine cut alloys because of "moisture retention".
As mine are new (4k miles) and they do say many people with machine cut alloys do use them I am tempted but wanted to hear if anyone else had considered them?

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I've actually found that the Conti's on my alloys do a pretty good job of offering enough protection as is. Some tyres I've had in the past don't offer much of a 'lip', but these do and so I'm not too concerned.

I've seen the alloygator things in the past and always wondered what they would look like once fitted, I'm just not convinced personally.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Have seen a couple of cars with them - there is a driving instructor round here who has them on his KIA RIO Diamond Cut alloys. The protrude about 1/2 an inch from the wheel and are made of pretty hard looking plastic (I had a good look when i saw him the other day).

I guess the concern with Diamond Cut wheels is damaging the lacquer while fitting (rather than the gator ityself) as once you get water under the lacquer your in for trouble.

Difficult one, i think i would probably do without tbh.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Has anyone fitted the alloygator product for wheel protection or got a view on them?
I would like just a small margin for error with my titanium alloys and £60 sounds reasonable but they do have a warning about not recommended for machine cut alloys because of "moisture retention".
As mine are new (4k miles) and they do say many people with machine cut alloys do use them I am tempted but wanted to hear if anyone else had considered them?

park further from the kerb or fit some steel wheels ;)

for people who gauge how close to the kerb they are,by listing out for the sound of alloy on granite,then gators are ok

Personally I'd do what scrich7 said, look at tyres with built out sidewalls, I got a few sets of 18's and the ones with Michelin pilot sport tyres have side wall protectors that would stop all but the most hardened kerb scrapers

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
I was thinking about them, but after an hour on that well known search site found enough people who had problems with them not to bother. Before you ask can't remember! :shrug:

Famandy1

Feb 20, 2015
North Yorkshire
What a useful site this is, I was just looking at the Alloygator site and contemplating fitting a set to my impending ST Cupra (when it arrives later in the year!) with 19" alloys which are the biggest wheels and lowest profile tyres I have ever owned and hadn't thought of the issues being raised by forum members, so will definitely do without!

Interesting that the Michelins Pilot Sports have decent levels of rim protection built-in - seems like this is the tyre to replace what ever comes as standard on the ST Cupra which I believe are either Bridgestones (currently have these as OE on my A3) or Contis?

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
If you search youtube for 'Alloygator fitting', you get to see how they are fitted. Involves using a rubber mallet and lots of hammering, I couldn't watch! Not sure I'd be keen fitting these, with that and water retention, just be very careful instead!

Famandy1

Feb 20, 2015
North Yorkshire
Thanks Rob, yes just watched the video and totally agree with you - will just need to be careful, so hopefully a combination of dipping near side mirror, parking sensors and extra vigilance will all help to maintain the wheels!