Alternator overcharging?

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
OK just had the alternator and battery tested by ATS.
ALT: Volt 14.26v, ripple too big....
Batt: 12.6v; start capacity 82%

Does ripple shed any light on what the specific problem is?

I believe that means the regulator / rectifier is not converting all the AC current to DC current that cars run on - car components don't like AC current.

Please wait for another reply before condemning the alternator

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
I believe that means the regulator / rectifier is not converting all the AC current to DC current that cars run on - car components don't like AC current.

Please wait for another reply before condemning the alternator
Yep it's likely to be either or both of those components of the alternator. I'd rather change those than the whole unit.

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
its all one usually sealed unit.

what is the actual fault code and definition?

Via autel MS509

P0340 camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 1 or single sensor

Via Vagcom

17748 - crank / cam position signals out of sequence 35-00--

Off idle the car runs well and generally smooth, at idle the engine is jumping on its mounts

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
With your engine running observe the auto tensioner for the aux belt (pas, alty, air con etc), it should run smoothly - no jumping up and down.

Mind your fingers when you're under there:p

:)

Hey, sorry for the late reply -- was sick over the weekend. I had a look the other day (sadly noone to help me out, and was a bit dark, so got slightly confused :) ).

Am I right to think that the top bit here is the auto tensioner?

2011-03-02 23.06.03.jpg

And also are the two round things you're looking for just under these wires?

2011-03-02 23.05.33.jpg

You can sort of make the out but it was quite dark to take a better pic. The wires are mostly black but they have a colored stripe -- will have a better look today, and report back :)

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
Hey, sorry for the late reply -- was sick over the weekend. I had a look the other day (sadly noone to help me out, and was a bit dark, so got slightly confused :) ).

Am I right to think that the top bit here is the auto tensioner?

2011-03-02 23.06.03.jpg

And also are the two round things you're looking for just under these wires?

2011-03-02 23.05.33.jpg

You can sort of make the out but it was quite dark to take a better pic. The wires are mostly black but they have a colored stripe -- will have a better look today, and report back :)

Yes the top bit is the tensioner and yes again the cam actuators are under all those wires, there's 2 wire to each of the sensors:D

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Right, so the two are as follows: the upper one has a black with yellow and blue with light blue wires going in, and the lower one has a black with yellow and a green with yellow one. It was a tad difficult to make them out mind you :)

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
Right, so the two are as follows: the upper one has a black with yellow and blue with light blue wires going in, and the lower one has a black with yellow and a green with yellow one. It was a tad difficult to make them out mind you :)

Thanks, thats confirmed mine are the right way around.

Thanks for taking the time to look:D

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
No problem. Now I just need to find a mate to start the car for me a few times while I try and identify where this bloody noise is coming from on mine.

Also noticed that it does start without throttle most of the time but still gives out that sound. Could it be the starter sticking? :blink:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members