Ambient lighting in FR

Kernow13

May 22, 2021
This isn't the be-all & end-all in life and its still an excellent car, but I do believe many reasonable people would believe the references to FR versions meant FR versions.

Deleted member 123864

This isn't the be-all & end-all in life and its still an excellent car, but I do believe many reasonable people would believe the references to FR versions meant FR versions.
It does. For coast to coast rear lighting, nothing else. It doesn't for example, refer to the wraparound lighting further down the article in a separate paragraph. I don't know how any reasonable person would think so...

Kernow13

May 22, 2021
It would appear from this thread that I'm not the only one expecting at least Ambient lighting to mean what Ambient lighting used to mean - a colour choice - not a white door trim light. Seat appear to have changed their Ambient lighting from six colour choice to white light only.

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
I'm afraid I have to agree with horsebox. I ordered an FR in Feb and the wraparound ambient lighting was clearly an option you had to tick. I was under no illusion about this. I find the choice of white in the door card lighting a bit disappointing, especially as the infotainment provides a configuration menu for it and then gives no configuration options. Incidentally my door card lights are white, until I turn off the car and then they go red until the car is locked.

My gripe was the mis-selling of KESSY but that's in a different thread.

None of these things are the end of the world though, it still makes a very nice, bang up to date car hat is very good value.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I'm afraid I have to agree with horsebox. I ordered an FR in Feb and the wraparound ambient lighting was clearly an option you had to tick. I was under no illusion about this. I find the choice of white in the door card lighting a bit disappointing, especially as the infotainment provides a configuration menu for it and then gives no configuration options. Incidentally my door card lights are white, until I turn off the car and then they go red until the car is locked.

My gripe was the mis-selling of KESSY but that's in a different thread.

None of these things are the end of the world though, it still makes a very nice, bang up to date car hat is very good value.
I also agree with @horsebox.

If there are different variants of the FR trim level (FR, First Edition and Sport), then there’ll be differences in spec between them. IMHO prospective buyers need to check carefully on what each variant does and does not get in terms of equipment levels and features to ensure they buy the variant that most fully meets their needs and wants. Also bear in mind it’s not unknown for VAG product literature to contain errors (VW product literature often contains errors, so presumably other VAG brand product literature does too). Don’t assume that because one variant of FR has a certain feature that the others will have it too, and don’t assume the salesperson will know the spec of each variant either; there’s a good chance they won’t - I know this from experience when a salesperson has tried to persuade me to buy certain options on a previous car purchase and I politely pointed out to them that they were part of the car’s standard spec! 😀.

I own a current model VW Polo GTI+ and there is also a VW Polo GTI (without the plus). Before placing my order early last year, I researched fully what the differences were between the ‘plus‘ and the ‘non plus’ to see what I would be missing out on if i settled for the cheaper ‘non plus’ and what extra I’d be getting if I bought the ‘plus’ model.

The ‘plus’ was much better spec’d than the ’non plus’ and provided around £2,800 worth of additional equipment but the price differential between the two models was around £1,600 (So a £1,200 saving on the additional equipment). I went for the ‘plus’ as all but one of the items of additional equipment on the ‘plus’ model I would have wanted anyway.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
We have an FR Mark 4 150 which we got in November. We were aware that the car did not have wraparound lighting at the front of the dashboard BUT we did believe we had changeable lighting on the doors. Not only did we think it but it was also present..... just once. When we first got the car the interior door lighting was blue-white. Given we could change this on the MK 3 FR 150 we had previously owned, I immediately went into the settings and, having changed it to individual, I was able to change it from blue-white to red (which is the colour we wanted). It has (fortunately) been stuck in this setting since that time and cannot now be changed! Something is definitely very strange with the how this is all coded into the system.

xRRx

May 30, 2021
im in greece I do not have the ambient lighting, only white light door and foot and red if i open door...

FalconTech

Jun 8, 2021
I have a question, if anyone has and if they figured out the additional light settings.

B13C9758-94CE-45C0-B993-B06D27832149.jpeg

First option turns ambient into the rhythm of the hazard warning lights.
Second, changes open door to red.
Third, I have no idea what he’s doing. After switching to my language I can literally translate it as “Protection against accidental start-up active” in English is as shown in the attached photo.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
I have a question, if anyone has and if they figured out the additional light settings.

View attachment 25480

First option turns ambient into the rhythm of the hazard warning lights.
Second, changes open door to red.
Third, I have no idea what he’s doing. After switching to my language I can literally translate it as “Protection against accidental start-up active” in English is as shown in the attached photo.
From what I read in some press material seat released, is if you have the child locks on the rear doors and someone tries to open the rear door it flashes the front red,

My first edition doesn't have that menu, so I don't know for sure

FalconTech

Jun 8, 2021
From what I read in some press material seat released, is if you have the child locks on the rear doors and someone tries to open the rear door it flashes the front red
I had an idea like that and tried to check it out. But nothing happened. It probably works only while driving, I tried stationary.

Thanks for the tip, I will focus on testing in this direction.

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
Stupid question does the ambient / wrap round lighting only work when the head lights are on?

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Stupid question does the ambient / wrap round lighting only work when the head lights are on?
Yes, or when the side lights are on.

It does also come on when getting in or out of the car, but goes off when the map reading lights go off

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
On the latest brochure on the specs it now actually says ambient lighting (glove box, footwell and single mono colour) seems boring, in the process of ordering an FR 130 st on a lease, budget of £230 price was £225 and I've chosen the safety pack M which has brought it to £230, it was between that and the interior wraparound, thinking maybe I should have chosen that, I'd prefer to have both mind you!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Kernow13

May 22, 2021
The wraparound ambient Lighting on my Seat Leon hybrid is brilliant, a very distinctive and impressive touch - well done Seat I love it.

Reactions: Leonfr140
Aug 20, 2021
Hi folks,

I just picked up my brand new Mk 4 Seat Leon FR+ this week. I was under no illusions that the wraparound ambient lighting would not be included, but as this was not a customer order I just settled for the standard FR+ spec with the intention of potentially upgrading the wraparound ambient lighting kit later. From what I have been reading here however, it looks like it may not be possible to upgrade this if it doesn't come installed from the factory? Can anyone confirm please?

Deleted member 123864

Everything is impossible until someone succeeds. No one has succeeded yet to the best of my knowledge.

Kernow13

May 22, 2021
From my conversations with Seat - when I was in the same situation after I bought a Seat Leon FR believing as the advert said 'ambient lighting was included on the FR versions' only to discover it wasn't on the FR (only the FR First Edition or the FR Sport) The optional 'Ambient Lighting' is only on ordering and is added at the factory ONLY. You car will have the infotainment system and the dash and car grooves for the LED but no LED. Have to say I now have a Seat Leon FR First Edition with wraparound lighting and it is impressive and I love it.

Unlike the Seat Leon M3 the 'background lighting' in the M4 Seat Leon FR is one colour and very underwhelming. A clear down-grade in my opinion.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members