Android auto + virtual cockpit

st.tony

Dec 9, 2014
Not seen any info on this and i appreciate not many on the road at the mo so just a brief question.

Does the mk4 allow waze/google maps navigation in the dash pod or is it on the infotainment screen only like the mk3?

Cheers

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Android auto maps only appear on the infotainment screen.

The digital cockpit will only show the built in maps, and direction instructions when using the built in infotainment

st.tony

Dec 9, 2014
Boo, shame about the nav but at least there's some functionality I suppose, just seems a waste on my MK3 that the dials can only show the factory nav which I don't use

Reactions: Syphon

scuj1

Mar 3, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
As far as I'm aware Android Auto has very little integration in the digital cockpit in any vehicle just now. It is coming but whether or not the dash would need an update to be compatible is hard to say.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
It works on the Audi TT, but of course that doesn't have a centre screen. It is just the normal rectangular interface shoved in the middle of the display though.
audi-smart-phone-interface-carplay-android-auto-tt-mk3-8s-supply-fit-[4]-8491-p.png

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
TBH it really doesn't bother me. I thought the digital dash would be some fancy cool thing when I got my Ibiza, but honestly it stays on the 'classic' dials with the ACC display in the middle most of the time. I have Android auto on in the centre screen for music/podcasts and maps and it's lightyears ahead of the Seat system. I've tried using the Seat nav in the dash screen and I'm unconvinced by it.

Tell

Staff member
You get use to it. The mib2 standard built in one isn't so good as the mib2 high. It's not executed so well. The high system using Here Maps works a lot better than the standard system on turns, round-about directions etc.

Question is whether the mib3 using Here Maps is executed as well as the mib2 high. Don't know haven't taken it for a spin, but suspect it will be as good as the high if not better. Would think they have migrated the same graphic turns. Standard TomTom v Here Maps apples and pears between the two mib2 units. If use to wobbly Mib2 standard wobbly directions a bit more solid with mib2 high which I reckon will be migrated to mib3.

The standard lags on roundabout and gives you erroneous directions like straight on, till you are on it and then shows you where to go. Bit too late. The high has much better direction graphics. The standard direction "cards" are faulty as you go into round about in certain direction withholding where you are going till on it. Schematic of get on the roundabout but not where to go. Not an issue with the high.

These will be your API that either cartography system comes with. The maps, plus the graphics that are keyed to appear at specific points as where you are going. It's those graphics and points that are different between the TomTom ones and the Here Maps ones on the standard and high mib2 map. Suspect the mib3 has the same common voice. That voice is also driven by the cartography which between the two systems can also give a different name if there is a typo error. We head towards a Duck rather than a Dock on the standard unit ?.

You cant beat having the directions on the dash in front with the next turn.

Mib3 there are two units, zn1 and zn2. At the minute only the zn1 is on UK cars including the Ateca Cupra face lift. All use Here Maps because I recognise what I've digitised in locally and got migrated in the production maps.

Last edited:

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
The thing is, until the routing and traffic is as good as Google, that's what I'm using :ROFLMAO:

Here maps are good, but not a patch on Google. It's not so much the maps themselves, but the live traffic alerts. Google just has so many more people using it and therefore putting data into the system.

Tell

Staff member
Depends where you are driving, no signal and not much good. As you say currently in heavy traffic in cities may be better so you can follow the same rat run when something happens. Seen that, slightly amusing when that happens. You get your co driver to monitor Google as well. I always check before heading off what Google has to say and adapt the Here Maps route if required.

TMC issues are a thing of the past with connect services since your traffic congestion is coming from the same database as Google as everything thing is getting pooled. TMC arguments don't stand up.

That hinges again on whether you got 4G reception which is patchy in rural areas, lack of the cars Android Auto actually measuring wheel revolutions in tunnels where turn offs are in tunnels or as you exit. Here you are blind whilst the cars system knows where you are. Those drives across Europe where you discover in a stand alone system it doesn't know where you are. Luxembourg city is a good example driving through the city would routinely miss exits since non connected services don't have the data as to the position of the vehicle once the GPS goes. Ditto alp roads where you miss exits in tunnels. Also street jumping in built up areas where it will jump position with data loss so you miss a turning. None of this you get with built in systems.

Turn to whether Google Maps are any good with cartography. Good for commercial POIs but also hit and miss where they are placed on maps. In retail parks often these are placed incorrectly. Google Maps misses new housing developments since they don't keep their maps up-to-date and their validation to user feed back is poor, reliant on often out dated aerial images where they can't validate user feed back. Proper cartography company invests in aerial images which are up-to-date.

You find in both TomTom and Google Maps they have builders roads digitised into new developments, often ten years old, which aren't the actual estate roads but the roads that were used when an estate was built. The estate roads never being digitised. Purely the information was clicked through and supplied by people who never validated the data with ordnance survey planning maps (commercial maps sold to councils and architect services) which have the micro data in them which if checked against reveal the rubbish in some of the commercial digital maps.

You do also get armchair digital mapping fantastists that supply crowd sourced data which if not correctly validated leads to rubbish incorporated into maps. They can work in tandem with each other, some of the source of ignore your GPS signs you see where they have succeeded in getting new roads incorporated into production maps before they are open or the classic local one of having tank tracks and roads across a live range digitised. The roads are closed to the public and you wouldn't be driving on them unless you have a challenger tank. TomTom validation error there either done by Indian staff or people taking the Mick. MOD puts up notices saying ignore your GPS. I've reported those !.. but the MOD knows about them as well:). You wouldn't want to take a wrong turn across a tank range. Extreme example of lousy validation.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
You can download large areas to cache to the phone- I have the entirety of the UK cached. Works fine without data, just like a regular old TomTom or whatever, if the 4G signal goes. But those sorts of areas are typically not where the problems with traffic are.

The issue around tunnels is a valid one though. Would be good if that sort of data could be passed to Android Auto/CarPlay. I know some data is passed over, such as lighting states to change from day to night mode, but being able to read the movement of the vehicle and use the car's GPS antenna would be great.

I have had Here Maps try and take me down a tank track on Salisbury Plain many years ago, although never with Google. But that was at least 8 years ago.

Tell

Staff member
I end up deleting the cached data when I need the space ... ofcourse you always have the inbuilt system in the car if you keep it up to date (good resource on that), no need to dig out your old devices and you have turns in front on your virtual cockpit or MFD ?.

Resource:

I like to get exactly to the spot I'm going to with precision which you dont often get with Google POIs. For outdoor activity you tend not to find car parks on Google Maps since its driven by commercial interests, no commercial interest it won't often get put on the map even if you supply it. Hiking and the like you need crowd sourced OpenStreet, the Android app Map Cordinates N45, E25, Pro is the one I use allows you to flick between Google Maps, Openstreet. Do the route walk into Street view, Google Maps direct limits you, so you can peak a boo as to where you are going. Then send those coordinates direct to Google and other supported map apps, or read out the location in DMS for car input, device input in the supported coordinates etc.

You don't get that level of functionility in Google Maps of seeing Openstreet. Uses the Google API and Openstreet combined.

Use that app for holiday planning in rental cars when you can build up your favourites. Similar functionality is also in the Japanese Navicon system used in Japan, which like Seat connect passes the coordinates from your device into the car or you tap them in using mapcode. So you can build your holiday plans before you hit the road. My annoyance with built in car system in Japan running old maps is why I champion updating built in systems on Seats ;). Nothing so irritating than old maps. The Japanese navigation system adopted over there shows microscopic detail of traffic light positions, very detailed next turn lane positioning. Far better than Google Maps using local cartography companies. Across Japanese apps as well.

South Korea has also pushed out Google Map navigation (banned / blocked) for security reasons. Naver map and Kakao are the two they use. Didn't want North Korea using Google navigation in an invasion. So they lost market share in both with local commercial companies filling the gap. Here Maps doesn't have a presence there, ditto TomTom.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise