annoying tick in the back

boomhauwer

1.4 TDI Turbomotive :D
Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
hi,

I have since june 2008, an seat ibiza ecomotive (mark 4) and for a month or so there is a very annoying ticking sound in the back, i can't seem to find where it's coming from...
Could it be the suspension link that is bit dry :( ?

or could it be the interiour panels...

i know it's hard too help someone with a problem like this from a message board, but maybe someone has a suggestion.

grtz, paul

DanDiesel

In my diesel is where I'll be, chugging merrily.
Mar 17, 2005
Kent
I had a weird ticking/clonking noise which happened when going round corners.

Checked everything in the boot and nothing found until I removed the rear sets to aid the fitting of a sub and my brother found an AA battery had dropped down between the seat belt securing points and was rattling around.

Might be worth checking in the there for coins etc.

boomhauwer

Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
no, i've almost completely stripped down my rear interiour/trunk.

but i have an idea of what it may be... I read in the 'MK4 common probs' thread that the ticking could come from the rear suspension , even on new cars, and during the last winter, they put extreem amounts of salt on the road...

I've went too my dealer, and he said he's going to lube the suspension links.

qoute from that thread
Creaking rear suspension.
Lubricated under warranty but ongoing problem when roads are salted.

boomhauwer

Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
anybody have a how-to for disassembling the rear interiour panels. that sound is driving me crazy.

also, how hard is it to open up the steering wheel, something has begun ticking in there as well...

boomhauwer

Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
seriously, i've had it with this car. only 10 months old, it shakes, vibrates, ticks, creaks everywhere.
now there is like something loose in the steering wheel as well.

Can the tick come frome the shockabsorber from the rear suspension? (the upper mount too the chassis)

my dealer sais it comes from interiour panels, but it is a metallic tick, not plastic?

boomhauwer

Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
if anyone would care:

the problem is solved: and it was exactly like I thought it would be, it's the mount for the shockabsorber too the chassis. it was completely worn after 47000km (car is from july 2008)

if anyone have this is sound, you know were to look now

boomhauwer

Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
it's not a knock, it is a metallic sounds, a tick...

the metal thing in the middle of the pic.

SDC10010.jpg

Last edited:

josh263uk

Waiting for the sunshine!
Aug 13, 2007
Saarland Germany
it's not a knock, it is a metallic sounds, a tick...

the metal thing in the middle of the pic.

SDC10010.jpg

I have this same issue, is it just the top silver part of the unit? or is it the whole shock absorber?
I know the noise is coming from that area as when the car is washed and I use a pressure washer to get the crap from under the arches, the noise stops for a couple of days.

Was it easy to replace/expensive?

Thanks

Josh

boomhauwer

Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
I have this same issue, is it just the top silver part of the unit? or is it the whole shock absorber?
I know the noise is coming from that area as when the car is washed and I use a pressure washer to get the crap from under the arches, the noise stops for a couple of days.

Was it easy to replace/expensive?

Thanks

Josh

yes, it's the silver part only, you can keep your original shock absorbers.

I have no clue what it costs, my car is still under warranty so it didn't cost me a dime

I would replace them on both sides.

maybe someone who have etka can search it up for you what will cost. It doesn't look too hard to replace...

josh263uk

Waiting for the sunshine!
Aug 13, 2007
Saarland Germany
Thank you. mine is still under warrenty too. The garage has tried various things including changing the shock but no luck, I dont think they have tried this though. I will have to take it in and see what happens.

Crow555

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I have this same problem I think.

My driver side rear creaks like mad and I've noticed a metallic ticking noise coming from where the outside door handle would be when driving but I think that's the suspension noise stick. Is there a guide on replacing these and who would make quality replacement parts for it? Not SEAT I'm guessing. Thanks.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.