Another Coilies post!

pete-marshall

ok so i fitted a new set of coilovers last night, raceland ones, (Gash, i know, but i cant afford better!) set up not too high, maybe 20-30mm between tyres and arches, on standard 16" ronals.

The front are fine but the back are rock solid and the car bounces on almost smooth roads!

The box said POLO 6N, i know they use alot of the same parts, could i have the wrong set?

Any one else had this problem? Any suggestions?

cheers!

Rory1984

Nov 8, 2007
I have the exact same coilovers, will admit that the ride is bit 'interesting' but only firm really, have discovered that suddenly all the roads are in very bad condition.......lol

I think it just depends on the height, i have mine probably halfway on the back maybe i bit lower and they are quite soft for coilovers, as i understand tho the lower you go the softer they ride? Here is a pic of the hieght of mine on 17's tho.

DSC00431.jpg

Realise i havn't really answered you but just an insight?

pete-marshall

haha its quite difficult to judge with the different size of wheels but i'd say mines at a similar height.

on the front the ride is "interesting" but on the back its feckin' horrible! quite dangerous as i think my back wheels left the ground a couple of times!

were the little "helper-springs" fully compressed when you tightened yours up?

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
pretty much thats what your gona get mate, my back wheels always picks up if driving and breaking hard! get a pic up of how it looks...the rear of mine is well... rather stiff

pete-marshall

oh. the problem is i've gotta drive to aberdeen tonight and i only have one spine!

Mines about the same height as yours crezz. when you fitted it did you have to tighten it up till the little springs were fully compressed?

Cheers!

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
naah there isint alot in the helper spring...tbh they dont do alot apart from allowing the spring to displace, dont really make it any softer atall...how much have they been tightend on the rear top mounts?

pete-marshall

just did up the rear top mounts till they were tight. is there any other way? though there is a funny rattling noise coming from the back?

pete-marshall

now I know I haven't really sold these shocks very well....

but they're not for me, I have them set up to ride a bit higher than crezz's and they're just too stiff for me. i'm going to put the original shocks back on.

if anyone wants these they are now for sale!!

Got rid of that rattling by tightening up top mounts after shocks had bedded in. they are just the standard raceland coilovers as seen on ebay for £169 + £15 postage, so if you do want cheap coilovers to drop your car and you do have a spare spine i'll post these for £140!

Aguilo

Belgian Beer
Jan 10, 2009
Belgium (Liège)
ok so i fitted a new set of coilovers last night, raceland ones, (Gash, i know, but i cant afford better!) set up not too high, maybe 20-30mm between tyres and arches, on standard 16" ronals.

The front are fine but the back are rock solid and the car bounces on almost smooth roads!

The box said POLO 6N, i know they use alot of the same parts, could i have the wrong set?

Any one else had this problem? Any suggestions?

cheers!

It's normal...

In fact, it's the same kit than Polo 6n, but the rear coilover are a bit shorter than Ibiza's originals!

So, you compressed too much the springs...

settle them a little lower, the car will not come down, but springs will release a little and it will be more flexible!

Do you understand what i mean?

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
i was told on here that you should not use polo 6n shocks because its dangerous or summert due to the different weights of the car..will find the post....

cant find it lol but if its ok for u guys then guess its fine!

Aguilo

Belgian Beer
Jan 10, 2009
Belgium (Liège)
It's false, you have to check in the manual the acceptable weight on every axles with regard to those indicated in the suspension validation papers. (TüV)

The Belgian car inspection is very strict for the suspensions, and no problem to validate mine.

The acceptable weight are good ;)

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Being concerned about Ibiza's carrying more weight than a Polo is more valid at the front end - 6N Polos never got either AGG or ABF engines.

When you crank up the ride height on a set of coilies, you do so by compressing the spring. This increases the spring rate and is most likely what's making everything a bit bouncy at the back. Slack off the spring collars a little and you'll let the springs decompress a bit. Play around a little, depending on how compressed the spring is, you may be able to ease up on the springs without affecting the ride height too much as commented above.

In an ideal world, you'd be able to tweak the damping rates to suit the changing spring rates when you adjust the ride height, but I doubt many people would bother. Just like people don't bother getting their camber and tracking checked and adjusted after adjusting the ride height on a set of coilies.

pete-marshall

gotta agree with the wheel alignment there, got mine done the same day as i fitted the coilies and its a must. 4 wheel alignment, on a digital machine if possible!

I'll try slackening off the preload on the rear springs a bit but I really dont want to drop the car too low as roads round my way are rough!

Cheers all good advice!

Phil Gee

Jun 4, 2007
Naughty North!
Had a similar prob with my golf. Fitted some half decent coilovers and took them off within a week. Set all suspension up via 4-wheel alignment and messed about with height but just couldnt live with the shocking ride they gave. Ended up buying some FK coilovers which were actually cheaper, and the ride was so much better. I think its always good to go off other peoples recomendations. hope you find some that do the job.

pete-marshall

cheers i was actually looking at a set of fk highsports but thought i couldnt really justify spending the money on a 9 year old car when I don't even really know the difference between the sets!

The problem with mine is i just don't want to go that low so i end up with a rock hard ride, problem only on the back really as the polo rear shocks are shorter.

So if anyone was looking at getting a set of these off ebay i'll give you mine for £50 cheaper! posted. in all original packaging.

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Most coilovers use standard diamater springs. You could always swap the springs. You could get a set of longer springs at the same rate or same length with different spring rate. Could be an uphill struggle and get through a lot of pairs of springs unti lyou find the right compromise tho