Another heater problem

Sep 15, 2021
Hi everyone,
I bought my 67 plate 1.8 TSI FR about 2 months ago. With the cold weather coming in, I’ve noticed that the blower/AC doesn’t give out any heat whatsoever until oil temperature reaches above 100 degrees.

I know they have issues with heater matrixes but Im not very mechanically inclined so I’ve no idea if it’s the same fault.

im booked in to get the car looked at in a month but I have a feeling they will try and do me over and say it’s just the car waiting for optimum Temperature even though the handbook says operating temperature is above 80.
Any advice would be much appreciated

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Hi everyone,
I bought my 67 plate 1.8 TSI FR about 2 months ago. With the cold weather coming in, I’ve noticed that the blower/AC doesn’t give out any heat whatsoever until oil temperature reaches above 100 degrees.

I know they have issues with heater matrixes but Im not very mechanically inclined so I’ve no idea if it’s the same fault.

im booked in to get the car looked at in a month but I have a feeling they will try and do me over and say it’s just the car waiting for optimum Temperature even though the handbook says operating temperature is above 80.
They cant really argue with you as you have consumer rights and warranty as the cars on 3 years old, car should blow war air after about 10mins max. Dont overthink it untill you get an answer of them. It could be heater matrix, temp control for ac, or even thermostat issue. Does your coolant look clean in the coolant res. If it has bits in it the issue is the silica bag has split and blocked matrix. Most cars of that age come with 3-12 months warranty so you should be good

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

My TDI starts blowing warm air in a few miles so your TSI should be at least as quick if not quicker.

The heater matrix pipes are easy to access from the passenger foot well side. Remove 1x small torx screw and you can pull the tunnel side panel off. There you can see two alloy pipes - these are the flow and return for the heater matrix. Start the engine, put your heater on max heat & blower and feel both of these pipes with your hand. The one which gets hot first is the flow, the other is the return.

The flow should feel slightly hotter than the return - if is working correctly, as the heater matrix (which is just a heat exchanger or radiator), gives up some if its heat to the cabin air.
If they both get hot quickly with one being slightly hotter then I would suspect your distribution flaps - maybe a calibration/reset can help? When they don't fully cycle often they can get stuck - had that happen in my previous Audi, but then it cured its self, and then I made sure to cycle all the flaps every now and then.
If neither gets hot, then there is no coolant flowing to the heater matrix, could be an air lock/low coolant/pump issue (I think you have an electric aux pump)
If one gets hot and the other stays cold, or if if they both feel hot then I would say it is your heater matrix is blocked.
If passenger side air gets hot whilst drivers side stays cooler/cooler this is a classic symptom of blocked heater matrix.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The way I have read the opening posting is, the heater is handing over some heat after the engine oil is up to temperature, so I'd doubt it is the temperature flap motor(s) issue as they tend to either stick at HOT or COLD - in my experience, and sticking at HOT in summer is not very funny!

Sep 12, 2019
Did anyone have any solution to this problem? Having heating problems in my 2013 Leon (linked a new thread here) but with a sudden coolant loss beforehand. Now with no heat in the cabin. Haven't had time to look at the heater matrix hoses in the cabin, however the ones in the engine that go through to the cabin are hot to the touch

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.