Answers - To Clean or Not To Clean?

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Hey peeps, I have an ABD 1.4 96 engine. Just pulled out the air filter on top, and there's a breather pipe maybe? The thickest black one - it's full of muck - similar to a soft gooey version of limescale? It's fixed onto something benneath with a jubilee clip. DO I clean the pipe or not? Is it there for a reason or unwanted build up? Here's a pic...

Any answers a.s.a.p much appreciated! (Y) ;

DSC07589.jpg

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
take it off and wash it out yes then keep an eye on it after a few weeks

usually a sign of head gasket or water in the oil but can get pretty bad with just water and damp in the air and condensation etc so dont panic just yet

but take it off and do it - wouldnt wanna sump full of soapy water would ya ;)

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
head gasket was changed on it a year ago you know... cos there was signs of whistling or something when it reved. This was before I bought it. Had a new manifold and gasket. But thanks Flapper! :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
could well just be short journies over the last year then as that pipe looks pretty clean/new anyway to be honest and not really that full up

have a look under the oil cap too while ya there

a good clean out in order, but as said earlier - take it off the car ;)

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
take what off the car? Yeah there's no signs that the headgasket is leaking elsewhere... For example - the oil level's fine etc. if that's a symptome?

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
ah right yeah done it. It's pretty natural apparently, condensation mixing with oil etc. the manifold cover has a pipe coming from it into the air inlet - and since I had a new manifold - they didnt put the pipe manifold cover back on - say they just fall off anyway. So do you think the lack of hot air may be the case as to why I have it? Anyway - I'm not too worried. I'll check it in 2 weeks again.

red chilli

it could just be residue from when the gasket was changed ,,

ie its there when the headgasket was stuffed ,, just clean it out , then re check ,

other signs to look for is check oil filler cap ,for same colour goo ,,also check water filler cap and look inside water bottle check colour ,, hth paul .,

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
yeah I've checked them all you know, water cover, oil cap etc. All clean as a whistle!... aah well just a bit of build up probably after 13 years!

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
There was a thread a while back with this. IIRC he checked a couple of weeks later and it was back.

As far as I'm concerned, it's quite normal.

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
yeah my dad was telling me when he had a Jetta GTi 16V when I was smaller, he used to be checking his engine too and used to find the same kinda residue. Weird that I mentioned this - turns out that the engine in his Jetta was pratically the same found in a 16V Gti's on here...

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Dont worry about it mate, my 1.4 APQ engine code, that pipe is exactly the same. I have no signs of head gasket failure or anything. No oil in water etc. Just a common thing.

Next question, How do you take that pipe off?? Ive been trying and just cant get it off.

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
aah alrite - loosen the jubilee clip ye? It's connected right at the bottom. Have you got a stumpy flat screwdriver? Or a small spanner set? Unscrew it, mine was facing the bulkhead, a bit of a b*tch to get off... and just pry it out carefully. I find that rubber bonds to anything after a while, pretty hard to get it off sometimes (especially pipes) e.g... hope that helps! :). I just blasted the hosepipe through it, washed it out perfectly, and did the airbox too.

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
no probs mate - post a pic... I managed to get mine off with a little tug... Rubber naturally seals like a b*tch to anything after time...

:)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise