To Sell or Not To Sell?

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
What's the tax like on a Cupra R anyway? Just had my renewal come through and the government has jacked it up another £25 to £210.

Hardly seems worth the difference now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep it's gone up on the R as well, it stands at a jaw dropping £395. When I first got it I'm sure it was around 225 a year, as I came across an old direct debit to the robbing gits.

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
Looks like a nice car. The price is a taking the mickey. Centre caps are incorrect, no brembo logos on calipers, door cards fabric has come unstuck. Miles are low but it’s still an 18 year old car ready to bleed it’s owner of cash.

Reactions: iammooks

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Looks like a nice car. The price is a taking the mickey. Centre caps are incorrect, no brembo logos on calipers, door cards fabric has come unstuck. Miles are low but it’s still an 18 year old car ready to bleed it’s owner of cash.
There’s another for 10k

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
You could have bought two for that price not that long ago

not wrong same goes for the 90s hot hatches , sold my 44k 5 GT Turbo for 2.5k in 97 and that was a good price then, look at prices now and I've not seen one as good as the one i owned

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
not wrong same goes for the 90s hot hatches , sold my 44k 5 GT Turbo for 2.5k in 97 and that was a good price then, look at prices now and I've not seen one as good as the one i owned

So many cars I should have bought when I had the chance - but thinking back, I was a teenager in the '90s, a broke student in the early 2000s, a broke adult in the mid to late 2000s and then I went freelance, so 'had the chance' isn't really that accurate.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
So many cars I should have bought when I had the chance - but thinking back, I was a teenager in the '90s, a broke student in the early 2000s, a broke adult in the mid to late 2000s and then I went freelance, so 'had the chance' isn't really that accurate.

I know what you mean.
Two I am gutted about.
In 2009 I had the opportunity to buy a Lancia Integrale evo 2 for a mere £17,995. I had just paid off finance on a new Octavia VRS I’d had for 3 years.
Instead of swapping it for a new one I wanted to keep it , so instead, what I’d been paying monthly I put away to put towards another car, but something classic.
The sensible side of me thought up to about 3 grand. An Austin allegro Equipe was purchased and put in the garage. :ROFLMAO:
Just before that though I’d seen the Integrale, went to look at it and it needed a couple of small jobs but it was white and it was stunning.
Also a 1968 Porsche 912 was at the same place for £14,995.
I love that shape of old 911 from late 60’s early 70’s but here was the 912, same body but the older engine from the 356. Again needed a bit spending on it to make mint but was pretty good and had stunning silver paint spending most of its life in America.
My wife was actually encouraging me to use the 3 grand as deposit and get a loan to buy it but we had a 6 month old so I walked away not wanting to borrow.
:cry:
Settled on the Equipe ( it was actually pretty cool- honestly) and kept it for a few years. I didn’t look back- until now.
The integrale is now astronomical, and some 912’s are not far off 911 money now. My wife keeps saying, “see you should have listened to me”
Maybe I should have, but every cloud an all that.
I Probably wouldn’t have the two Cupra R’s now. So I know they’ll never make me rich, In fact will no doubt make me poor but i wouldn’t swap them now. ( unless anyone has a mint 912 or Integrale they want to swap for one of them, then I’m all ears!) :ROFLMAO:

Amended. Just found the e mails. Not that it matters but it was a 1968 912 and it was £13,999. Even more gutted now. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I know what you mean.
Two I am gutted about.
In 2009 I had the opportunity to buy a Lancia Integrale evo 2 for a mere £17,995. I had just paid off finance on a new Octavia VRS I’d had for 3 years.
Instead of swapping it for a new one I wanted to keep it , so instead, what I’d been paying monthly I put away to put towards another car, but something classic.
The sensible side of me thought up to about 3 grand. An Austin allegro Equipe was purchased and put in the garage. :ROFLMAO:
Just before that though I’d seen the Integrale, went to look at it and it needed a couple of small jobs but it was white and it was stunning.
Also a 1968 Porsche 912 was at the same place for £14,995.
I love that shape of old 911 from late 60’s early 70’s but here was the 912, same body but the older engine from the 356. Again needed a bit spending on it to make mint but was pretty good and had stunning silver paint spending most of its life in America.
My wife was actually encouraging me to use the 3 grand as deposit and get a loan to buy it but we had a 6 month old so I walked away not wanting to borrow.
:cry:
Settled on the Equipe ( it was actually pretty cool- honestly) and kept it for a few years. I didn’t look back- until now.
The integrale is now astronomical, and some 912’s are not far off 911 money now. My wife keeps saying, “see you should have listened to me”
Maybe I should have, but every cloud an all that.
I Probably wouldn’t have the two Cupra R’s now. So I know they’ll never make me rich, In fact will no doubt make me poor but i wouldn’t swap them now. ( unless anyone has a mint 912 or Integrale they want to swap for one of them, then I’m all ears!) :ROFLMAO:

Amended. Just found the e mails. Not that it matters but it was a 1968 912 and it was £13,999. Even more gutted now. :ROFLMAO:

Always wanted a Gralle!
The prices now!!!
Did you see the modern version they made that’s about 250k?

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: Nathan penney

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
It's a shame really - the Leon was the first 'fun' car I ever bought, but it was still firmly in the practical category, which is why I bought the diesel and not the petrol. I could never have afforded the Cupra R at the time though - the running costs on my 30,000 mile a year commute would have killed me. When I get the clutch done, I may as well have mine remapped to 200bhp and that'll be plenty for UK roads. For someone who loves cars though, I haven't driven that many - and never a turbocharged petrol.

The car I kind of regret not doing more with was one my parents bought as a first car for me and my brother to use. It was a 1971 Mini that had been painted to look like a Cooper, but that was about it. They bought it for £650 and sold it for £450 when it failed its MoT because it needed welding work. It was still on the road in 2013 though, judging from the MoT information. I never thought to try and fix it and wish I had now. It was only a Mini 1000 but I could have learnt so much from it. Different times though - I had no idea in 1998 why the car popped out of second gear when you lifted off the throttle, or what caused the axle to rub on the chassis if you had someone in the back and you went hard round a corner.

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
It's a shame really - the Leon was the first 'fun' car I ever bought, but it was still firmly in the practical category, which is why I bought the diesel and not the petrol. I could never have afforded the Cupra R at the time though - the running costs on my 30,000 mile a year commute would have killed me. When I get the clutch done, I may as well have mine remapped to 200bhp and that'll be plenty for UK roads. For someone who loves cars though, I haven't driven that many - and never a turbocharged petrol.

The car I kind of regret not doing more with was one my parents bought as a first car for me and my brother to use. It was a 1971 Mini that had been painted to look like a Cooper, but that was about it. They bought it for £650 and sold it for £450 when it failed its MoT because it needed welding work. It was still on the road in 2013 though, judging from the MoT information. I never thought to try and fix it and wish I had now. It was only a Mini 1000 but I could have learnt so much from it. Different times though - I had no idea in 1998 why the car popped out of second gear when you lifted off the throttle, or what caused the axle to rub on the chassis if you had someone in the back and you went hard round a corner.
Sadly most cars pre 90's needed welding to get through the MOT & a lot of filler!
Cheaper issues back then but permanently skint too. 😕

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Sadly most cars pre 90's needed welding to get through the MOT & a lot of filler!
Cheaper issues back then but permanently skint too.

Back then I was earning £3.32 an hour working in a department store while I was doing my A-Levels. For someone who was already spending all their money on mountain bikes, that didn't leave much for cars.

Shame though - that's when all the best cars were around.

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Back then I was earning £3.32 an hour working in a department store while I was doing my A-Levels. For someone who was already spending all their money on mountain bikes, that didn't leave much for cars.

Shame though - that's when all the best cars were around.

Same...my meager bank acct was drained more by boozing than petrol, especially ad there was a pub next to school & the sixth form mainly resided in there. I miss the 90's 😁

Reactions: Jay20VT
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.