Any electricians in here? Help!

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I can do very basic electrics, wire in a new plug or single switch, but this has got me stumped!

In my hallway I have a double switch, one operates the porch light, the other operates the hallway light, which is also operated by a switch upstairs.

The porch switch is the wrong way round, so when the light is off, the switch is in the on position. I thought it would be a simple case of swapping the wires over, but when I opened the switch, there are more wires then I expected. The porch switch is the one nearest in the picture ( on the right). It has a wire going into the L2 hole, and then a 'bridging' red wire going from there into the other switch. Should the wire not be going into the L1 hole, and there be no bridging wire into the hallway switch? Confused!

switch.jpg

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I have the same issue with the double switch inside the front door controlling hall (1 of 2 on/off) and the outside light (on PIR). Just never got round to turning it upside down! Easy fix.

Reactions: Speedbird

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Im a spark and whoever wired it 1st time round is a divet.

On the right hand side on the pic move the 2 wires in L2 to common and the common to L1

And see what happens. Electrickery they call it

I just followed your instructions and it has sorted it perfectly. Thank you very much, I owe you one!