any help for misfiring / engine judder & loss of power?

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
You can get all the bits from euro car parts or GSF. If you give them your reg, they will tell you what parts are right for your exact car. Spark plugs are easy enough to change, have a look on YouTube for some vids, if you are unsure.

Finally, don't forget to use the discount code for euro car parts.! :)

Last edited:

YellowLCR

Jun 13, 2010
West Yorkshire
Make sure you buy the genuine part for the coil pack as non VAG stamped coils can throw open circuit fault codes for as long as it's on the car. I had this on a Golf 4 2.0, eventually it had to be swapped out because it always threw up faults.

t3rm3y

Jun 24, 2010
Change one spark plug at a time so you don't mix the leads up as this would affect the firing order and make the engine run like crap.

I plan to change the spark plugs, the HT leads and the coil pack all together, i will just do it like for like as it is now, my only concern now is that maybe a mechanic put the HT leads on wrong? how do you know which lead goes from which spark plug to the coil pack terminal? are they numbered or marked in a specifi way? (the gsf image has "A, B, C,D")

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
I had 2 go on mine at the sam time. Replaced all 4 you can actualy smell the ones that have gone once removed least I could with my acute sense of smell not lol

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I think you could do with a bit of hands-on help here, a friend who's done a bit of work on cars before and maybe has a few tools.

A diagnostics check would help, too. Someone local to you with VCDS (what used to be called VAG-com) will be able to find out what fault codes have been registered and stored in the engine control unit, which can help narrow down what's going wrong. For instance, if you are getting misfires on two cylinders (1 & 3, or 2 & 4) I'd suspect the coil pack - as each coil in the pack feeds two cylinders. If you're only getting one cylinder misfiring then the plug or lead is more likely. A post in the VAG-com section of the forum will find out if there's a forum member close to you who's willing to help.

The HT leads are easiest to check and involve no expense or tools. These are heavy copper cables with thick rubber insulation, conducting high voltage electricity from the coil to the spark plug. As they age, the insulation can go brittle and start to crack, letting the spark voltage leak to the metal cylinder head through the cracks. One easy check would be to take off the engine cover so you can see the HT leads for their full length, wait till it's dark, then run the engine and look carefully at the leads to see if there's a glow or sparks anywhere along their length. Any leakage of electricity indicates that the HT lead needs replacing.

Be careful not to let anything (hair, tie, bracelet, etc) dangle into the engine bay while looking - the radiator fans can come on without warning, and there are other bits spinning round in there.

With the engine switched off, you can remove each lead to check it for cracks or faults or poor contact at coil or plug. The lead should be flexible, have no cracks, cuts or melted sections and the metal contacts at each end (inside the rubber or plastic hoods) should be bright and make good contact - needing a bit of a pull to get them disconnected. Do each lead one at a time - it matters very much that they connect the correct plug to the correct contact on the coil.

If changing them, do all four, but one at a time so that you have the connections correct. If the leads were connected wrong to start with you'd have had a constant misfire from then on, which does not match your initial description.

To check or change spark plugs you need a plug spanner. If the plugs were changed less than 40,000 miles ago then they are still within their service life. The plugs are down in narrow tunnels between the camshafts. Each plug tunnel should be clean and dry. The plugs should be clean and intact. Any dark marks could indicate leakage of hot gas from the cylinders (rare) or the spark tracking down the outside of the plug (less rare).

Make sure there's nothing loose in the plug tunnel before you take the plug out or it will drop into the cylinder where it will do no good at all.

The plug should take some force to unstick when removing it. If it turns easily, it wasn't tightened up enough.

There are volumes that can be said about judging the condition of a plug. A couple of charts will give you the idea, though.
http://www.cyclepedia.com/spark-plug-troubleshooting/
http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/view.php?pg=sprkplgchrt
You're looking for light brown colour and no obvious damage to the bits at the far end.

Putting the plugs back needs some care. Check that the cylinder head where the plug screws down is clean and shows a clear mark where the plug has been sealing all round. Any leakage here should be obvious and needs to be corrected. The plug should be screwed in until it's seated and meeting firm resistance, then tightened "a bit more". Defining " a bit more" is difficult - any good mechanic will use a torque wrench which applies a precise amount of tightening. Failing that, you just need to be sure it's not going to leak. Using a T-bar plug spanner, you should find that a firm twist is all that's needed. Using a socket set with a long bar handle, it is possible to overdo things. The spark plug is steel and the cylinder head aluminium - overtightening can strip the thread in the cylinder head, which is a bigger problem that what you have now :)

If changing plugs, change all four unless one is clearly badly damaged - in which case you want to know why it got damaged before going any further.

The coil packs are usually fairly robust and don't fail often. If plugs and leads all check out and look good then the coil pack is suspect - but checking the fault codes is highly recommended at this stage.

Once again, it is important to ensure you get the right plug connected to each corner of the coil pack, or you will have a constant misfire. Copy the arrangement of leads down or take a photo before you disconnect anything.

I would not change all three components at once. The likelyhood of failure is in order plugs - HT leads - coils. Check out one at a time to avoid unnecessary expense.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
One more thing: coil markings A, B, C, D equate to cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4. Cylinders are numbered from left to right as you look into the engine bay from the front bumper.

t3rm3y

Jun 24, 2010
muttley, thank you, very descriptive and informative, and mty thank you for the links for parts.
I am in north essex, i will put a post in the vag com section to see if anyone can check the codes and get my parts when i know what is needed...

t3rm3y

Jun 24, 2010
i passed by eurocar parts i ncolchester so went online and oredered my bits at 30% off, ithought i might as well get them while i am waiting for a VAGCOM test, if it is one of the mentioend faults then great i have replacements, and if it turns out its not then its only about £60 spent and might as well repalce and have new shiny items anyway.

I wanted to make sure i could get to the screws and undo everything ready, one hex bolt / allen bolt whatever its called that holds a tough looking bit of plastic over the HT leads wont budge, it looks like the head is stripped, so i cant turn it, the others all undo fine.
i have looked online, many fixes involve welding or heating or drilling which i have no means to do - any other ways to undo these tough bolts? its quite flush to the housing so i cant get anything on it, unless i can find some thin strong pliers or something??
would i be better going to a garage and gettign them to rip iot out somehow? (for quickness)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Screw extractor. Depending on how badly the hex socket in the screw head is damaged you may not even need to drill the screw. Aldi had some when I was in there yesterday.

Product_detail_Wk4T33.jpg

You'd need a reversing drill and maybe a drill bit to drill out a hole in the screw head.

Last edited:

t3rm3y

Jun 24, 2010
update - i got bored waiting for someone with vagcom so i wd40'ed the bolt, left it for an hour and gve a couple whacks with a flat head screw driver at an angle and a hammer - it undone pretty quickly. it was worth a shot before going out and spending more on extra tools.
will be getting new bolts though for the holes so it doesnt happen again.

I replaced the HT leads and coil pack at same time.
I didnt change the spark plugs as these had been changed during a service and the syptoms had occured prior to the service and after.

The car seems to be running right now, a couple of times i have been going quite slow in a higher gear and the symptons havent occured :)

I think, due to the dodgy bolt holding the engine cover in palce and on top of the HT leads / spark plugs, someone doing a previous service has not been able to get to the HT leads properly and yanked them out badly, damaging them?? its a scenario that fits, and that im ahppy with :)