Anyone still using the fuel temp sensor resistor mod tuning boxes on a PD ...?

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
As per title really, just wondered if anyone's still using the cheaper PD boxes that plug into the fuel temp sensor?

Any long-term reports on benefits / drawbacks / problems?

cheers, Craig

sssstew

Editing your spelling
i reckon that people are gonna have to start taking them off soon, mine just scraped through MOT emissions when i had my TB on (i know its not the same as the PD fuel mod but its the same principle method just a different location) so now some of the PDs will be coming up to 3 years they will be up for MOTs and might start having problems.....

stevefish69

i have a 05 PD150 and was tempted but heard reports on here that they had changed the softawre in the ECU to throw a fault up when these are connected.

Shame because i cannot Re-map because its a company car and just can't afford to pay a few hundred quid for a couple of years.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
stevefish69 said:
Shame because i cannot Re-map because its a company car and just can't afford to pay a few hundred quid for a couple of years.

Who in the company is going to know you've re-mapped? ;)
How much time do you spend driving the car? It's a bit like saying I'm not going to paint my kitchen as I only rent the house.
If you join a fitness centre of Golf Club then you pay a few hundred quid per year for the purposes of enjoying yourself while you're there, why not the same for your motoring? Face it, you could easily spend a hundred notes out on the pi55 and not have anything to show for it the next day (apart from needing an appointment at the clap clinic!:blink: ).
Just because you've got noting physical to show for a re-map doesn't mean you can't enjoy the money you've spent on it, it's fun.

The only real problem I can see with the resistor tuning boxes is the limited power gain and after effects of overfuelling, such as engine check lights, and bits clogged up with soot.

mr_s81

May 27, 2005
Ballymoney, NI
Had to take mine off after the engine pollution light came on. Waste of money if you ask me. Does increase the power a bit, but comes at the expense of lots of smokiness from the excess diesel being chucked into the cylinders which to be honest I was getting a fed up with. Thought I'd got away from the black clouds of soot after selling my old 306 D-turbo! :rolleyes:

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Resistor mod - Had one of these on the wife's Bora 115 for a while, improved power a little, though mostly at the bottom end, not so noticeable after 3k rpm, and when the bad weather came around made the car hard to drive with constant wheelspin so took it off. She's not complained so I'll leave it off.

You get what you pay for - a 75p resistor will as you say chuck fuel in by fooling the ecu, but to what long term detriment? Wife's was on for 20k miles, no ill effects, but it's getting near 100k now, clutch is getting worn, no use in speeding up the process.

My remap on the Leon sits in one of the spare ecu slots, easily changeable with Vag-com from stock and back. As far as I know there are 2 or 3 such slots to put maps in, I presume the revo just swaps between one and the other rather than flashing the chip every time? Unless the dealer looks in the other slots I can't imagine how they would tell it is chipped if you turn it off.

In my opinion, at this time of year you are better off NOT remapping. No traction in 1st 3 gears till 50mph, colder air=more torque=clutch slip. I never had any probs in the summer, but come the cold air came clutch slip big time, coupled with the zero traction in lower gears means it's not worth using for me right now.

When remapped the car seems to have better range though.

Am hoping to put a generic map on in the next few weeks, give less torque, less power, more drivability.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.