Are the headlights reflector or projector? (for new HIDs)

Aimez

After much bragging my HIDs have last for 3 years give or take one of them as been intermittent the last few weeks so I am replacing them with some slim ballasts now!
Things have changed in HID worls alot since then I have no idea if the ibiza headlights are refelctor of projector, it has pic on the website but I still don't get it?! :confused:Anyone know?

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
DO you have the optional Xenons, or have you fitted the HIDs yourself?

If you have factory fit Xenons, then you have projector headlights
If you have retrofitted HIDS, then you have reflector headlights

Aimez

No I fitted HIDs myself but want new ones car came with halogens or I wouldn't bother buy HIDs. Site says this;

What type of headlight unit do I have?

These bulbs are designed specifically for reflector style units so will not be suitable for projector style headlights. If you do not know which you have, it's quite simple to check. Look into your headlight, if you can see the bulb (it may have a cap over it) and you can see the back wall (reflector) of the headlight unit, then you have reflector style headlights and you should use our anti-glare bulbs (see below left).

If when you look into the headlight unit, you see what looks like a lens or dome in front of the bulb, this would be the projector type lens (see below right). In this case, the projector lense focuses the light much more accurately so the best option would be our standard HID bulbs. See below for a comparison of reflector and projector headlight units

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Hi aimez, sounds like you`ve been looking at H7R bulbs, I have them and would recommend them as they look better to oncoming cars and give a good beam pattern.

Slim ballasts eh? Going stealthy like I have?

Aimez

Someone on here posted a pic they actually fitted inside the headlights! But I am not fussed about that just no damn room in the engine bay at all! If you want stealthy I know you can mount them under the crash bar but too much messing about IMO.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Someone on here posted a pic they actually fitted inside the headlights! But I am not fussed about that just no damn room in the engine bay at all! If you want stealthy I know you can mount them under the crash bar but too much messing about IMO.

Er yeah... that was me!

Know what you mean about the lack of room in the TDI though, that`s why I put them in there.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
LOL

Yes mine have a seperate starter, I think all slim versions have as they are too small to house them inside.
It`s another box on the high voltage cable to the bulb, it`s about the size of a VAG flip key so should`nt be a problem to mount.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
True, it sounds like a ballast problem but at least you`ll have spares if you go for the same type of bulbs.
Which ones do you have?

Aimez

just H7 there isn't any on HIDs4u called H7R like you have. But this time I am going to get 6k not 8k. Had no problems with them until now just want them less blue. Will be getting some sidelights too. 2 year guarantee as well which is good.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
just H7 there isn't any on HIDs4u called H7R like you have. But this time I am going to get 6k not 8k. Had no problems with them until now just want them less blue. Will be getting some sidelights too. 2 year guarantee as well which is good.

Er.. did`nt you see these? clicky I have the 5000k - they are £5 more each though.
I don`t like them too blue either.

What's the difference between the H values ( h1,h2 .....h7)

I believe the `H` denotes HALOGEN, (proper xenon bulbs are called D1 D2 etc standing for gas DISCHARGE). It`s just the type of bulb FITMENT, they are all basically the same and use the same voltage input and wattage output - 12v 55w (except 100w bulbs and truck 24w), they just have different bases on them for fitting to different cars.

tkjeeves

Blue
Jul 13, 2008
oxford
one of my bulbs is now gone after 1 and half year of use. Wrote to HID4u, prompt response and i've sent back the faulty bulb after a few tests. waiting for them to provide a replacement now.

i'd recommend getting the H7R if you're switching the bulbs too

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.