Are there lowered Cupra's or FR's out there ?

MacFever

Nov 30, 2009
Brussels
Hi,
I just bought a FR DSG and would like to lower it while maintaining a maximum of comfort possible
Is there someone who has actually lowered their car on this forum and who cares to post some comment on handling and comfort ?
Thanks
Eric

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
1st, i had Eibach springs and standard dampers, (will have to do something with them!) then KW var 3 coilovers. it handles great on the coilovers, but most people would find it undriveable as its very hard, and speed bumps are walking pace only now.:(

alexfr10

Jan 8, 2010
Llandudno, North Wales
1st, i had Eibach springs and standard dampers, (will have to do something with them!) then KW var 3 coilovers. it handles great on the coilovers, but most people would find it undriveable as its very hard, and speed bumps are walking pace only now.:(

looking at getting some eibach springs.
would love coilovers but don't have the money for them. how much were the springs if you don't mind me asking and what mm drop were they?
could you post a pic?:D

alexfr10 :starwars:

MacFever

Nov 30, 2009
Brussels

Could you tell me if the ride was harder with the Eibach springs than with the standard ones ?
Thanks

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
springs were £125, now will have to sell them. drop was good at front ,but almost nothing at the back because you need shorter dampers to retain a spring with a good drop at the back.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
From a 106 forum, but the basics will be the same.
Right then, first off do you have some spring compressors, as if not then you need to take the struts to a garage as the new one might not need compressing but the old ones will.

Step 1 - undo hub nut first before removing wheels, on mine they are 30mm, but they will be either 30 or 32mm.

Step 2 - jack vehicle up and remove wheels, use axle stands.

Step 3 - undo bottom ball joints, on mine they are 16mm, leave the nut on a few threads and knock the bolt out, so you don`t damage the threads as they are special bolts.

Step 4 - i use a hammer to knock the wishbone to release the ball joint, or if you have a ball joint splitter than use that.

Step 5 - undo the steering rod, again it should be a 16mm and leave the nut on a few threads and hit the strut rather than the rod end to release it.

Step 6 - once the above are complete, get someone to support the strut while you undo the 3 13mm nuts holding the strut to the body, or use a jack to support the weight if you are on your own.

Step 7 - the strut should now be on the floor, now is the time when you need the compressors. I usually mark the strut top to the strut so it goes back on the same way round, scratch the surface so it doesn`t rub off ( i used to use chalk, but not anymore )

Step 8 - Compress the spring and use a air gun to undo the centre nut, i usually leave the weight of the spring a bit so it doesn`t turn the shock, but only a bit of weight or it will shoot the strut top off when the nut is off.

That is basically it, locate the new spring in the cut out on the strut and reassemble it again.

Guide to fitting suspension on a mk2 ibiza again, same procedure for removing the suspension, then it's just a case of compressing the springs to remove them, compress the new ones to put them in palce, and putting everything back where it was.

collegeboy09

Moving along with 215bhp
Sep 18, 2009
Northants