Arosa 1.4 16v Sport - My Trackday Project - '09 End of Season Report from Page 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Today was D-Day for the interior.. My mate and I quickly got stuck in but uncovered several problematic items along the way. Nevertheless, a careful approach meant no damage was done to any of the items we removed :D

11am to 4pm was spent mostly:

Stripping out the interior..

First came out the front seats, then the rears. Then the boot lining and rear side trim. Then the centre console to enable us to remove the carpet and HEAVY sound deadening (we were both surprised just how heavy this matting was!). We then turned our attention to the headlining, which after some persuasion and difficulties with the sun-visors (!) it came out, only to reveal something neither of us expected. A dirty great patch of cardboard stuck to the roof with 15 times more glue than was necessary!

intstrip1.jpg

This was a right PITA and took ages to remove - taking great care not to damage the roof itself. Here's Dan still at it and a view of how stripped the interior got:

intstrip2.jpg

Then it was time to start putting things back in. By this time we were tired and cold, and it took about 30 minutes to get the centre console back in as we had to do it twice having forgot to put in a metal support (which was predictably only noticed once the whole lot had gone in and I turned around only to notice it lying where the rear seats used to be. Oh ****.)

intstrip3.jpg

We then cleaned up all the crud and dust in the rear:

intstrip4.jpg

intstrip5.jpg

intstrip6.jpg

..and did the same in the front:

intstrip7.jpg

intstrip9.jpg

Last edited:

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Noting at this point all of the excessive glue still to be removed at a later date from the roof:

intstrip8.jpg

Finally, how much stuff did we remove?

intstripout.jpg

And what effect did it have on the rear suspension? I now have a chelsea tractor:

afterintstrip2.jpg

afterintstrip1.jpg

So, there we have it, the work has begun. Next up I need to start ordering parts, although there are still a few things that need removing ;)

Last edited:

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
What colour was the carpet, headlining and other trim bits you removed? ;)

EDIT: Went back a couple of pages - is that a black carpet I spy? I will be after a few bits from you later - bagsies!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
at least being light & a hatch stuff will be easy to bolt on & off.

lemme know if you want a suspension day again

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
I too was amused to that dirty great big piece of Cardbourd stuck to the roof when we stripped out the interior of Arosaracers Arosa, its there to stop the whole car sounding like shutting a door on a van:)

You shouldent of worried about damaging it, after me yanking on it geting the cardbourd off the roof popped back into place:D

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
What colour was the carpet, headlining and other trim bits you removed? ;)

EDIT: Went back a couple of pages - is that a black carpet I spy? I will be after a few bits from you later - bagsies!

Indeed, black carpet, black door cards, black/red seats, black plastic trim :)

The vultures are gathering..!

at least being light & a hatch stuff will be easy to bolt on & off.

lemme know if you want a suspension day again

Indeed, cheers mate, I will do.. once I've decided (read: looked) at what kit I'm gonna use!

I too was amused to that dirty great big piece of Cardbourd stuck to the roof when we stripped out the interior of Arosaracers Arosa, its there to stop the whole car sounding like shutting a door on a van:)

You shouldent of worried about damaging it, after me yanking on it geting the cardbourd off the roof popped back into place:D

Yup, the card wasn't even in the centre! With it removed I have that genuine van feel to every door closure :p

that was fun!

do you want your top door cards as im after some

I'll be keeping the doors as they are mate - it needs proper handles/armrests and storage given it'll be driven to Germany many times. The rear cards will be available later tho

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
It's weight-loss Jim, but not as we know it!

The more I work on this car, the more I realise that the previous owners were either off-road fanatics or serial festival goers; as I keep finding mud, twigs and leaves everywhere!

Today I had the simple aim of swapping a few tyres around and removing damaged wheel-arch liners.. little did I know it would turn into another day of jet-washing and immense loss of weight for the little Arosa! There was clay-like mud behind the wheel arch linings, up the suspension turrets (on top of what I'd previously removed!), on top of the entire length of the exhaust, steering arms and across the rear beam.. it was everywhere..

mud1.jpg

mud2.jpg

mud3.jpg

mud4.jpg

I reckon I must have shaved another 5kg off easy!

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
thinking I need to give some advice on safe ways of supporting your car :)

wishbones aren't one of the places I'd have chosen!

great idea to get it cleaned up though, especially up the turrets

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Custom Cages made Ian Carvells VW Cup wining Lupo Gti cage. (saved his bacon when he tested its strength in a big roll @ Snetterton sadly.

http://www.customcages.co.uk/corekits.htm

They're doing badgerwagens muchos tubey integrated cage on 7th Jan

We the cheapest I rang round too.
good luck.. fun project

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Day of the Heat Gun

Armed with my new heatgun, today I set about removing (minimal) weight and gaining style :whistle:

First to go were the side rubbing strips as door-dings will be the least of my worries with this car!

nodoorstrips1.jpg

nodoorstrips2.jpg

Next up, a de-badged rear (lots of weight saving there......)

debadgedrear.jpg

And finally, I started to tackle the stupid glue on the underside of the roof left from removing the cardboard. I'm about 2/3 done - gave up when my arms were hurting and my fingers burnt!

roofglueremoval.jpg

I've got some more work planned for tomorrow, but as you can tell, I'm running out of steam on things that can be done without ordering any parts - that's the Christmas shutdown for you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.