Arosa 1.4 16v Sport - My Trackday Project - '09 End of Season Report from Page 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
The car really was giving everything I had hoped it to do. Plenty of ‘Ring regulars joined me for several laps at a time, and I was chuffed with the comments that were being placed upon the cars abilities and (believe it of not) me! Many commented on just how fast the car rounds the Karrussel, or how flat it can take sections of the track – the run up to Hatzenbach, over Schwedenskreuz or into Adenauer Forst for example. Also noted was how I seemed to be comfortable taking some unusual lines at places like Schwalbenschwanz, it was all just working. Fantastic stuff.

eosr_9.jpg

eosr_10.jpg

eosr_11.jpg

eosr_12.jpg

eosr_13.jpg

eosr_14.jpg

Now, this is all well and good, but a video would help. Below is a stunning early morning lap; not the quickest as I was driving at about 85% and met some unhelpful traffic, but one of the only high quality videos I have of me lapping the ‘Ring and it’s still only just over a nine minute lap. YouTube HD anyone? Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJV_87vbYk8

As the August trip reached its end, and I notched up my 191st lap of the year, so did an original component of the Arosa. The drivers-side outer CV had sheared. Luckily this didn’t happen on track and the problem was easily identifiable; so parts were ordered and I made arrangements for the car to be picked up by a returning regular (NigeP), and get it fixed the following week whilst a the same time taking a look at the ever-present gear selection issue (which by now was starting to look more like a broken pedal box as opposed to clutch).

I packed for home and said goodbye to the Arosa once again. The following day, Nige picked it up and collected the new outer CV’s (for both sides – not worth the risk!), bearings and a new hub; and then got to work on restoring two-wheel drive!

eosr_15.jpg

eosr_16.jpg

eosr_17.jpg

With the pedal box firmly diagnosed by Nige as the cause of my troubles, and a collective decision made to leave replacement until the car returned to the UK, my final, and 5th trip of the year in September would be a tentative one – the car needed to be driven home!

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
The Arosa wasted no time in rising to the challenge and with my cautious approach of only doing up to three back-to-back laps before letting it cool off (which helped with gear changes as the clutch cooled and contracted slightly!), the lap count and passenger total kept rising during what was a four day trip. Only on the final day did things take a turn for the worst with my pedal box. Suddenly getting the car out of reverse, and getting it into first and second gears became a serious problem; to the extent that brute force was the only solution. At this point, and given the eight hour drive required to get the little one home, it was time to put my 2009 JahresKarte to bed, and with two-hundred and twenty laps completed in 2009, the Arosa had done well! In celebration, I treated myself to one litre of Bitburger:

eosr_18.jpg

Then for the final time in 2009, I bid farewell to Nurburg and loaded the Arosa up with the last instalment of Winter beer supply for the return journey home. Talking of Winter beer supply, here’s what I’ve amassed for consumption before I return next year:

eosr_19.jpg

There was one final honour to be had for the Arosa in 2009 – a major feature in Septembers Golf+ Magazine, following a photoshoot earlier in the year before the car was resident in Germany. Scans below:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Having made it back to the UK with only a couple of tricky moments (boarding ferries is difficult when you can’t get into 1st or 2nd!), I gave the car a much needed proper wash and swapped on some Winter wheels for it to be parked up on.

eosr_20.jpg

Since its return, the Arosa has now had a new, reinforced pedal box fitted to ensure that I don’t have to go through a repeat of this saga. It has also had a gearbox oil change to verify all is well with the ‘box following the selection issues I’ve had for half of the year, and to refresh what was original fluid.. both of which mean that the car is fully operation again.

For the time being, that’s it as no major modifications are planned for the 2010 season. The main focus will be the renewal of original parts that may now, at 45,000 miles (10,000 of which have been extremely abusive!) be nearing end of life. I am investigating the fitment of a flat floor to assist with top end speed, so we’ll see if that becomes a go-er!

There are many things that can be said about my Arosa; it’s certainly lived up to and exceeded my original expectations, it is the only one of its kind, but even more uniquely: it’s the only SEAT Arosa to be able to claim that it has been ‘Developed at the Nürburgring’!

Until next time,

Ian

2009 thanks go to:
Paul, Nige, Chris, Martin, Heidi, Andy, Dale, Dave, Sim, Olli, various Northloopers, Steve and Mark.

All my passengers throughout the year (bar one, you know who you are!)

http://www.burgstube.com
http://www.rsrnurburg.com
http://www.csnuerburg.com
Hewitts of Stourbridge
WN Sales & Engineering

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
Cracking write up Ian, always good to read you're updates :D

Also loving the winter beer stash!

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Well done on the article Ian :D :clap::clap: Nice to see an Arosa making the pages of a VAG mag :D Seriously immense amount of hard work and looks like your making up for it with a few beers :clap: Nice wee mention there of Stu too :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise