Asked a miliion times i know...

cheekyboy_123

Hello again all

Just on my way out to get some oil for my car..I trawled through the countless threads on this subject but couldn't find a definitive answer. I have even spoken to two seat dealers who have given me two different answers..

My car -

Leon 1.8 T Cupra - 2003

Seat in watford said the Castrol Magnetec oil 10w x 40 is what they use.
I spoke to another garage who said i should put in fully syn oil 0w x 30..

Now i'm confused! Need to get some today so some advise would be appreciated. Thankyou!

andycupra

status subject to change
alot of dealers use the magnatec.
however id recommend the fully synthetic.

LCRs should have fully synthetic, and given the the LC is 95% the same car and engine it would make sense to use synthetic IMO

Last edited:

cheekyboy_123

Thanks Andy

Fully syn = 0w x 30?

If so, i'll get off to halfords in a mo..

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
I always though fully synth was a no no for turbos?

Dont ask me why just for somereason i had got in in my head from some where. Im prob completely wrong

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
no fully synth is an only for turbo's
i used millers in my gt-four when i serviced it, just gets whatever they put in at service now, i dont take note

Cupraloon

I was told many years ago by a well know cossie turbo tuner, that you don't need fully sythenetic, a good quaility semi is more than capable, even on big power (500bhp) cossies.

But it's your choice at the end of the day, just one thing if you do decide to go fully sythen i'd recommend you stay away from Mobile 1, as I had problems with exsessive oil useage on previous car's since they changed the grade a few years ago, just IMHO..

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
Think i've just got my wires crossed at some point.

Its been quite a while since i actally had to change/ top my oil myself in my LCR

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
castrol edge(gold bottle) is the stuff most dealers put in, its changed names a few times and bottle colour. im using the 0-30 longtec (silver bottle) now as had it at a top price on fleabay, just keep an eye out and you can practically nick some. think i paid £12 for a sealed 4 litre bottle delivered. fair bit of time searching to get that though, but so far :)

andycupra

status subject to change
castrol edge(gold bottle) is the stuff most dealers put in, its changed names a few times and bottle colour. im using the 0-30 longtec (silver bottle) now as had it at a top price on fleabay, just keep an eye out and you can practically nick some. think i paid £12 for a sealed 4 litre bottle delivered. fair bit of time searching to get that though, but so far :)

id be wary of buying oil on ebay.
You can get it cheaper as the UK is expensive and so there is no reason why you cant save some money. However, you should take note that counterfeiting is a definite possibility so take some time to check what there is in place to confirm its genuine.

ok not quite the same, but the other day counterfeit sensodyne toothpaste was found with was actually toxic!

Last edited:

cheekyboy_123

Guys - thanks for all your responses..
Bought some Castrol fully synthetic oil and did the change at home...
Had an old VW filter (for a 1.8 T) lying at home - Job done!

Had a new drive put in a few weeks back so a little hesitant at first

Great forum this - i believe i'll be using quite often (and i promise to use the search function more :D)

Have a good day all!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise