Audi S8 - Protection Detail

Jim@WD

Audi S8Protection Detail with full interior and LTT Leather care

The S8 was brought for this chaps Father, and, whilst he was away, he hoped I could clean it up a little as a nice surprise for his return.

Before:

DSC08973wd.jpg

After:

DSC09092wd.jpg

Product
• AutoSmart G101
• AutoSmart Tardis
• AutoGlym Glass Polish
• AutoGlym Vinyl Rubber Care
• Belgom ALU
• Chemical Guys Jet Seal
• Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
• Dodo Juice SuperNatural
• Lusso Revitalizing Cream
• LTT Auto Ultra Foam
• LTT Auto Ultra Protect
• Meguiars APC
• Meguiars Super-Degreaser
• Meguiars Last Touch
• Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
• Sonus Green Mild Clay
• Zaino Z8 Grand Finale

Inspection:

DSC08973wd.jpg

DSC08974wd.jpg

DSC08975wd.jpg
DSC08985wd.jpg

DSC08981wd.jpg

DSC08984wd.jpg

DSC08986wd.jpg

DSC08987wd.jpg

Last edited:

Jim@WD

DSC08988wd.jpg

DSC08989wd.jpg

A few of the alloys had seen better days; owner considering putting them through a full refurb. However, as they’re partly polished on the front facing, it boosts the cost up quite considerably! I was able to shift the most of but unfortunately some light pitting remained in the inner-groove and deeper into the rim. This would be a full wheel off jobbie to correct this..

Wheels cleaned with AutoSmart G101 (because of the polished surface (Acid is no good here!!)), Super-Degreaser sprayed up and into the arches as well as dousing the tyres before scrubbing..

DSC08990wd.jpg
DSC08991wd.jpg

DSC08992wd.jpg
DSC08994wd.jpg

DSC08995wd.jpg
DSC08999wd.jpg

DSC08997wd.jpg

Door shuts and sills after this.. Again, G101 weapon of choice here with a mix of De-greaser and AutoSmart Tardis to shift stubborn grease deposits.

DSC09001wd.jpg

Jim@WD

Today I had the luxury of working with hot water – bonus.

Car given a thorough blast down with the pressure washer..

DSC09003wd.jpg

And then given the first of two snowfoams:

DSC09005wd.jpg

DSC09008wd.jpg

Allowed to dwell whilst I A) filled up wash buckets with Dodo’s Born To Be Mild, B) attacked small areas (petrol filler-cap etc) with a few brushes and C) had a sandwich!

DSC09009wd.jpg

Car then re-foamed to give an extra slick wash with the Born To Be Mild.

DSC09010wd.jpg

Solution > Wash > Rinse > Solution > Wash > rinse and so on..

Meguiars Last Touch was used to aid the claying stages; lubricating the surface allowing the Sonus Green Clay to glide without ‘drag’:

DSC09011wd.jpg

DSC09012wd.jpg

At this point it starts to rain. A final pass with the pressure washer was made to release clay-lube residues and then a quick sheeting of water with an open-hose to remove remaining standing water.

Once inside and dry, it’s time to take a look at the paintwork.

DSC09029wd.jpg

Hmm. Shame it’s not a correction detail!

Mind you, Lusso’s Revitalizing Cream (which is primarily a pre-wax cleanser...) did a good job of tidying up the surface marring and swirls.

DSC09031wd.jpg

DSC09032wd.jpg

Jim@WD

Same area as above afterwards:

DSC09034wd.jpg

Boot-lid before/after:

DSC09020wd.jpg

DSC09022wd.jpg

Deeper marks and scratches remain. Impressed with results from a quick pass over though..

(I’d opted for the Yellow 3M Polishing Pad as opposed to the Blue Finishing pad, as, Audi paint is typically rock-hard and I thought it would allow a bit more ‘bite’)

There were some funny old marks and hazes dotted around..

DSC09052wd.jpg

Overall though, it gave a nice finish (…for a protection detail only!)

DSC09047wd.jpg

DSC09045wd.jpg

On the bonnet and both sides, it was evident that someone had had a go with a machine polisher in the past; lovely buffer trials and holograms scattered around.

To give this one a little something ‘extra’ (as at the end of the day I’m an Audi man myself!), I used Dodo Juice’s SuperNatural wax to lay down the protection.

Hazing:

DSC09060wd.jpg

And later buffed up to a lovely shine:

DSC09106wd.jpg

Alloys sealed with Chemical Guys Jet Seal 901:

DSC09065wd.jpg

Tyres then dressed with Meguiars Endurance Gel.

At this point, I was asked if I could do anything with the engine bay. Bearing in mind all of the ‘wet-work’ had been complete, and, it’d be a shame to risk splashing dirt over the wings/glass, I opted for a ‘dry-wash’ whilst still in the garage.

Using AutoSmart G101 to clean, a fine brush to agitate and then ample amounts of microfibres to wipe away the residues. Finished with a buff down and a coat of AutoGlym Vinyl Rubber Care.

DSC09070wd.jpg

Jim@WD

DSC09093wd.jpg

DSC09096wd.jpg

DSC09097wd.jpg

A nice day, huh? Looks well though – will give a final wipedown later once the wax has had a few hours to gas.

Back inside and time to start on the interior..

Generally things are in great shape. Plastics and pillars needed a G101 wipedown, pedals a gentle scrub, carpets hovering and scrubbing and then the leather treating with LTT.

Floor mats had seen better days – especially the drivers; a bit worn at the heel unfortunately.

DSC09109wd.jpg

After a dousing in G101 and a light scrub.. Residues wiped with a microfibre.

DSC09113wd.jpg

Here’s something I didn’t know, when the front mats (n/s and o/s) are lifted, it leaves a great big hole! The underside of the mat is heavy with insulation and padding, but, I wonder why this is?!

DSC09111wd.jpg

LTT Auto Ultra Foam used to clean the leather..

LTT Auto Ultra Protect used to protect!

DSC09114wd.jpg

Alcantara was given a damp wipeover with a couple of microfibres.

Glass polished in and out with AutoGlym Glass Polish.

Exhaust attacked with varying different tools and chemicals..

Before:
DSC08988wd.jpg

After:

DSC09131wd.jpg

(Not the best after photo – there were stubborn marks on the bottom-half of the tip that I couldn’t shift..)

A wipedown with Zaino Z8 Grand Finale:

DSC09117wd.jpg

Jim@WD

DSC09141wd.jpg

DSC09095iiwd.jpg

Nice ‘clean’ paint – albeit a few deeper swirls and random scratches.

DSC09143wd.jpg

DSC09149wd.jpg

DSC09156wd.jpg

DSC09158wd.jpg

DSC09161wd.jpg

Total time was just under 9 hours. A little longer than I anticipated! Still, at least I’ll know for next time; the A8/S8 is a biiig car!

Thanks for reading. I enjoyed both completing and documenting this detail – RS4 Cabriolet in a solid red to follow shortly!

Jim

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Jim, where you been on DW!?!

Really good detail as always and excellent writeup. Interesting to see you used both BTBM and Supernatural. What did you use for what?

I havent gone to G101 yet. What are its advantages of it over other products? Worth changing from megs to it?

Maz

EDIT: Also why Lusso over something like Lime Prime? I love Lusso products, wax and glass polish are amazing. Is the lusso cream just a better performer?

Last edited:

Jim@WD

Thanks all.

Jim, where you been on DW!?!

Really good detail as always and excellent writeup. Interesting to see you used both BTBM and Supernatural. What did you use for what?

I havent gone to G101 yet. What are its advantages of it over other products? Worth changing from megs to it?

Maz

EDIT: Also why Lusso over something like Lime Prime? I love Lusso products, wax and glass polish are amazing. Is the lusso cream just a better performer?

Not allowed to post details on DW anymore jonjay.. subscription fee's and all that. :confused::banned::rolleyes: Love it how there was a thread RE my whereabouts that someone posted a few weeks ago. hmm. Just not sure DW is the place to advertise (along with the other 40+ detailers..)

Born To Be Mild - shampoo
Supernatural - Wax. (not their shampoo..)

I tend to use G101 more as it works out cheaper.. Good cleaner, no harsh smells, all-round product (as you'd expect from an APC..) and doesn't foam (like my APC in the foaming-bottle does) [B)]

I used it on the alloys, callipers, petrol-filler cap, interior, plastics, door-cards, enginebay & hoses, pedals, mats, door shuts.. All over the shop. I just prefere it to APC. :whistle:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thanks all.

Not allowed to post details on DW anymore jonjay.. subscription fee's and all that. :confused::banned::rolleyes: Love it how there was a thread RE my whereabouts that someone posted a few weeks ago. hmm. Just not sure DW is the place to advertise (along with the other 40+ detailers..)

Born To Be Mild - shampoo
Supernatural - Wax. (not their shampoo..)

I tend to use G101 more as it works out cheaper.. Good cleaner, no harsh smells, all-round product (as you'd expect from an APC..) and doesn't foam (like my APC in the foaming-bottle does) [B)]

I used it on the alloys, callipers, petrol-filler cap, interior, plastics, door-cards, enginebay & hoses, pedals, mats, door shuts.. All over the shop. I just prefere it to APC. :whistle:
Oh I see, I wrongly assumed the supernatural was the shampoo variant. I will look into G101 and give it a go, must be a reason why a lot of detailers use it. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.