Auq supporting mods

paradisiac82

May 12, 2017
Cornwall
Not long got a leon 1.8T, it needs work to get it back on the road so slowly ticking off the list. Plan is to ideally get it to 270bhp-300bhp. I know being an AUQ this will need a fair bit of upgrades.

From what I gather I need:
Fmic
Cupra r injectors
Cupra r fpr (4 bar)
Cupra r fuel pump
Cupra r MAF
Oversized TIP
Hybrid turbo or ko4
Sports cat
Bigger exhaust and manifold

Obviously I know brakes and ARB/suspension will be required too, but I know these I can fit at any stage before a remap.

My question is, how much of the engine upgrades can be done before remapping?

Nizza

May 17, 2019
Well it really wants completing fully then mapping

Then that way you know exactly how the car is running and is fully set up and running safe as you’ve got it rather than map it then add more bits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paradisiac82

May 12, 2017
Cornwall
Well it really wants completing fully then mapping

Then that way you know exactly how the car is running and is fully set up and running safe as you’ve got it rather than map it then add more bits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't explain it very well, I know it all needs to be fitted then mapped, but can any of it be fitted without the need to be mapped? (So I can replace bits as I go and still drive the car without damaging anything)

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Not long got a leon 1.8T, it needs work to get it back on the road so slowly ticking off the list. Plan is to ideally get it to 270bhp-300bhp. I know being an AUQ this will need a fair bit of upgrades.

Fmic
Cupra r injectors
Cupra r fpr (4 bar)
Cupra r fuel pump
Cupra r MAF
Oversized TIP
Hybrid turbo or ko4
Sports cat

Obviously I know brakes and ARB/suspension will be required too, but I know these I can fit at any stage before a remap.

The cupra R fuel pressure regulator is still 3 bar. 4 bar is an upgrade to increase fuel pressure and increase flow from the cupra r 270+cc injectors.

It all depends on who your tuner is.

For example my tuner stage 2+ tune will see 265hp and 300tq and that's on the stock K03s turbo on 100 octane, I'm actually going for E85 tune as well which should put me in the 280-300hp range and 330tq.

So the best advice I can give you is talk with a few tuners, decide who you want to go with, and then see what they recommend. For example I won't be using the 4bar regulator.

Now just as standard I think it would be easier on the wallet to go with a k04 swap for your goals. You can pick up and entire swap kit used from someone who went big turbo with their S3, TT, or Cupra R. 210 and 225hp versions.

You tune that properly with just 100 octane you will see 300hp.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
You will also need forged rods if approching that sort of torque. I would collect all items and fit them all in one go. Most of the items on your list can't be fitted until the car is mapped to cope with the changes.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018

Fmic
Cupra r injectors
Cupra r fpr (4 bar)
Cupra r fuel pump
Cupra r MAF
Oversized TIP
Hybrid turbo or ko4
Sports cat

It gets tricky with what upgrades you can put in without a map and still have the car run ok.

What can go on without a remap and still run ok

FMIC

3" turbo back exhaust and sports cat (maybe you get an engine light)

Turbo can go on but then you cant go WOT, only easy driving on the way to the tuner.
Fuel pump can go on.

TIP can go on and also font forget a good free flowing filter.

Here is where it gets tricky.

Hypothetically you could install the MAF and Injectors and it should run okay because you're scaling up both at the same time. Bigger MAF would cause the car to run lean normally, but by increasing injector size you can compensate. But only for a short time.

How I would do it is this.

Do you FMIC and Exhaust when you want and even a upgraded filter, you can also do fuel pump anytime but I think it's not necessary to upgrade for your power goals.

Then when you're ready and you have your tune appointment set.

Install the turbo (give yourself a few days advance)
When installing the turbo also put in the oversized tip to match the turbo of your choice, and if you want a bigger manifold go for it but it's not necessary. But since the turbo is coming off anyways then so is the manifold.

Start the car and see if it runs ok

Then install the MAF and Injectors

Start the car and see if it runs ok

If it runs like **** swap back to old maf and injectors.

Drive calmly to your tuners shop and install your FPR and if necessary injectors and MAF.

This is just my opinion and should not be taken like the bible. It is not my fault when something goes wrong, anytime you mess with fuel or air delivery with a car there is risk of failure.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
As for rods since you didn't put an end goal of torque, I will assume you want to stick with stock rods. 300hp is fine it's all about torque delivery, down low quick spikey torque curve will destroy your rods.

But a nice torque curve can allow your engine to handle 300tq. Some people say 330 with a good torque curve. It is really all in the tune. A cheap chiptune will certainly destroy your ****.

paradisiac82

May 12, 2017
Cornwall
Thanks for all your advice. Not looking for track performance, just something with a bit more power, so 250-270bhp would be fine. I have heard about rods going which is a worry, how much can the clutch take as this will also be a factor, and how far can you go before it struggles to get traction?

Also, is it recommended to change the DV too?

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Thanks for all your advice. Not looking for track performance, just something with a bit more power, so 250-270bhp would be fine. I have heard about rods going which is a worry, how much can the clutch take as this will also be a factor, and how far can you go before it struggles to get traction?

Also, is it recommended to change the DV too?
Sooooo brotha.... you want 250-270hp don't
Do a new turbo. K03s will get you there on a good tune and good flowing setup. Dont have to worry about rods unless you're going e85 or meth injection.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Clutch can handle 330tq it's the same as the diesels they make gobs of torque, also the same as 4wd s3 and so on.

paradisiac82

May 12, 2017
Cornwall
Sooooo brotha.... you want 250-270hp don't
Do a new turbo. K03s will get you there on a good tune and good flowing setup. Dont have to worry about rods unless you're going e85 or meth injection.
So decent filter, fmic and exhaust and should get there? I'm sure I dead with stock turbo 220-240 was my limit

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
266hp 301tq... k03s without porting the turbo or manifold. It's possible all depends on mods, tune, and health of engine and turbo
ff3d933c85ffcf90de35240282ae6825.jpg

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I still think you're pushing your luck going near 300ft/lb on the standard rods (and original bearings). I know what you are saying about it being ok if you avoid spikey boost, but you have to take into account that some of these engines are almost 20 years old and well over 100,000 miles in most cases, that's an awful lot of cycles.

If the OP is really going to fit all the stuff on the list, then taking a gamble on the rods holding is false economy imo.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I still think you're pushing your luck going near 300ft/lb on the standard rods (and original bearings). I know what you are saying about it being ok if you avoid spikey boost, but you have to take into account that some of these engines are almost 20 years old and well over 100,000 miles in most cases, that's an awful lot of cycles.

If the OP is really going to fit all the stuff on the list, then taking a gamble on the rods holding is false economy imo.
Agreed when fitting a hybrid turbo or bigger turbo but if he is going for 250-270hp and keeping the stock k03s then there shouldn't be a problem, the stage 2 cupra R guys are pushing 280-300hp and 300tq very often. But not higher

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members