Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror - Retro Fit

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
Hi All,

I have a problem with my rear view mirror which needs replacing.

I have seen a Auto Dimming rear view mirror for sale but what do I need to retro fit it into the car?

Has anyone done this before? Does it just need power? Sensors? Any ideas?

My Car is a 150 2000 Plate and im guessing that the auto mirrors only came in the 170 Later spec ones.

Cheers

Alex

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I think it actually needs a new windscreen? I had my windscreen replaced recently, and there was a part bonded to the screen that the rear view mirror mounted to. The wires then headed into the roof.

However, it is possible that the fixing is only there to serve the automatic wipers rather than the dimming mirror?

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
So were the wires connected to the mirror or were they connected to the part that was bonded to the windscreen?

Im thinking that the part that is mounted to the windscreen is just the mount for the mirror

Does anyone have an idea what the wires do? How many are there? Just power and earth? or signal wire? sensor wire?

Cheers

Alex

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
So were the wires connected to the mirror or were they connected to the part that was bonded to the windscreen?

Im thinking that the part that is mounted to the windscreen is just the mount for the mirror

Does anyone have an idea what the wires do? How many are there? Just power and earth? or signal wire? sensor wire?

Cheers

Alex

If I remember rightly, the disc on the screen formed the base for the mirror mount, and the housing for a sensor. I don't exactly know what the sensor was there for, whether it was for rain or for light (or both). If it is for light, then it will need to be fitted correctly in order to do the job. The manual mentions that the dimming is based on the difference in light between the front and the back, the back sensor is easy to see but I never really found the front sensor.

There was at least four wires, because I remember having a right game trying to get the wires back into that slender stalk and clicking it shut. There were two for the sensor that mounted on the windscreen, I would suggest at least another two would be needed to power the mirror. The wires weren't connected to the windscreen as such, but the sensor had to be fixed to the screen, and the wires were connected to the sensor.

I would offer to open it up and have a look, but after spending half an hour trying to get the damned thing back together again, I really don't fancy doing it all over again!

Do you have access to a wiring diagram? I don't know if the Haynes manual would carry one, or whether you would need ElsaWin or similar?

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
Im sure it can be done and will fit ok, but only if you get the one that DOESNOT have the rain sensor.
Been looking in to this alot. I have fitted a W8 light with an adaptor loom and I will take the live and neg from that. There is a wire for the reverse switch, it un-dims when you put it in reverse Im not 100% on that yet, I may not bother

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
So Ii defo dont want the mirror with the rain sensor on it? Do you know are all the mounting points on all the mirrors the same? Ie if I get one with the auto dimming feature will it be a direct fitment from my non dimming mirror or do they use different mounts?

What I really want to figure out is what all the wires do? Im guessing one is a positive, one is earth, but im guessing that the other wires are sensors? its this information that I need to find out so I know what to buy and where to put the sensors

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
pop over to ukmkivs
There is some info on there. Im sure the mounts are the same if you dont get rain sensor mirror

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members