Auto to tiptronic difference

jamie-h

Jul 9, 2014
Had my 1.8fr DSG nearly 2 years now and still loving it. Just a quick question as im not sure if this is normal. So if I put it in tiptronic from a standind start and floor it , as i change the gears myself they are instantanious as they are when in auto on all other driving.. But when floored in auto the gear change isnt as quick , not as slow as manual but not as quick as doing it myself..

Just wondering is this normal??

Also I feel like 1st gear lags a bit now and again when i floor it then 2nd kicks in and im away??

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
In "D" mode the shifts will be earlier for economy reasons. I don't bother with manual mode or the paddles. Just knock the lever back into "S" mode and bury your right foot in the carpet if you need to press on.

1st gear is effectively a crawler gear on the 7 speed DSG to protect the clutch. As such the ECU will limit boost pressure and therefore torque in 1st gear.

jamie-h

Jul 9, 2014
In "D" mode the shifts will be earlier for economy reasons. I don't bother with manual mode or the paddles. Just knock the lever back into "S" mode and bury your right foot in the carpet if you need to press on.

1st gear is effectively a crawler gear on the 7 speed DSG to protect the clutch. As such the ECU will limit boost pressure and therefore torque in 1st gear.

Yeah I am in "S" when it happens in auto , i've had a look at a few vids on youtube and its seen a few the same so its just me bein paranoid :D
Makes sense about the first gear tho thanks :yes:

jamie-h

Jul 9, 2014
Ive done a few tests on the first gear issue.. so yesterday on an old road near where I live, I tried every mode possible in both auto and manual from a stop foot to the floor in wet conditions and a little bit colder than today , there was hardly any power in 1st then into second and the turbo kicks in which I thought something was wrong, then today I done all the same tests in dry ish conditions and not as cold and there was full power in 1st everytime.
Is there something in the ECU that takes away the turbo from 1st when below a certain temp outside to prevent wheelsplin or when the wipers are on because of the rain?? Does anyone else have this ??

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Ive done a few tests on the first gear issue.. so yesterday on an old road near where I live, I tried every mode possible in both auto and manual from a stop foot to the floor in wet conditions and a little bit colder than today , there was hardly any power in 1st then into second and the turbo kicks in which I thought something was wrong, then today I done all the same tests in dry ish conditions and not as cold and there was full power in 1st everytime.
Is there something in the ECU that takes away the turbo from 1st when below a certain temp outside to prevent wheelsplin or when the wipers are on because of the rain?? Does anyone else have this ??

I also find 1st gear a bit "lacking" in grunt - probably explains why it's reluctant to stay in 1st itself. The previous 2 cars with a DSG7 weren't an issue although wheelspin was!

jamie-h

Jul 9, 2014
I also find 1st gear a bit "lacking" in grunt - probably explains why it's reluctant to stay in 1st itself. The previous 2 cars with a DSG7 weren't an issue although wheelspin was!

When its working properly its fine but when its not I feel like im in a 1.0 fiesta till I hit second :shrug:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise