Automatic headlight retrofit

RDO

Dec 27, 2021
Morning all!

I've recently become the proud owner of a Seat Toledo, which I'm very happy with.

However, I like to tinker, and one thing I've seen a lot with VW Group cars is people installing aftermarket Automatic Headlight switches and sensors.

Has anyone here done this with the full LED headlights fitted on later models, and if so, do you have any kit recommendation?

I've read a few posts here and there saying the kit for full LED lights is different to the kit for standard bulbs, but every kit I've looked at doesn't specify. The only difference that gets highlighted regularly is the size of the plug at the back of the switch (bigger on older and smaller on newer).

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

Rob

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
I have a 2014 Toledo with halogen lights, and I recently bought one of the auto / coming home switches from Aliexpress. This is the second unit I've tried; I didn't get on with the first one and ended up breaking it.

Unfortunately I haven't faired much better with this later unit. The first problem is that the dipped lights come on in all 3 settings - auto (when dark), side, and dipped. In other words, you can no longer have side lights only. The second problem - I set off this morning and turned my lights to dipped. After 20 seconds I noticed an electrical smell, followed by a smell of burning plastic a few seconds later. Time to turn the lights off and return to base!

You take your chances with these cheap units and my experience tells me it's not worth the risk. There used to be a unit sold on Amazon UK (the EL9?) which was around £80 and had good feedback, but it's no longer available.

Back to the drawing board I'm afraid.

Martin

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.