average mpg on gti 8v?

raepaul

May 27, 2009
when im travelling at 30 around town in 5th gear i roughly get around 20-23mpg on the trip computer, driving on the open road at 55-70mph i generally get 30-35mpg.

what do you all get? as i think i could maybe get a bit more? especially around town

Copper Cupra

Dec 16, 2002
Exeter
I mainly use mine on longer runs not so much town use and generally get upto 38-40. I was getting 45.6 on a long run recently 50-60mph approx over 120 miles. Leaving the car to warm up and town use I get 30-32. My seconard computer shows an overall average of 36.7mpg over the last 2000 miles which I think is really good.

:)

raepaul

May 27, 2009
i do around 80miles per day roughly 20 of which are town driving and if i take it realy easy out of town i struggle to even reach 33ish and around town most of the time shows about 16ish which i did think was bad. i always let the car warm up properly and it only has 73k on the clock. i have no idea when it was last serviced so might give it a service and see how it is

Copper Cupra

Dec 16, 2002
Exeter
i do around 80miles per day roughly 20 of which are town driving and if i take it realy easy out of town i struggle to even reach 33ish and around town most of the time shows about 16ish which i did think was bad. i always let the car warm up properly and it only has 73k on the clock. i have no idea when it was last serviced so might give it a service and see how it is

I would say a good service would be the key to getting optimum out of your engine, also silly things such as tyre pressures can have an affect too.

;)

raepaul

May 27, 2009
tyre pressures are fine as im very picky and check them every day :redface:

think the wheels may have a little to do with it as its running 17" wheels atm

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
7.7mpg from house to lights......100 yards!
running around prob 32-35 ish, m'way 38ish
old mans hat on.....it's winter, generally more traffic, ancient design engine & if you're worried about how mpg it's diesel time. also use the box more in town, it's not nice hearing a motor clunking ;) hat off....
just 'kin rag it till it dies...

raepaul

May 27, 2009
just 'kin rag it till it dies...[/QUOTE]

haha i do like you style but i cant afford to rag it too much as i need it every day.

i used to have a diesel but bad things happend :banned: so now got this one and just wondered what everyone else was getting averagely.

dimond

i started of with around 17-20 mpg and ive put a 4.0bar fuel regulator out of a vr6 golf and now i get around 30mpg drving local

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
38.4 over 300 miles that is 90% A, B road and motorway driving. Had 44mpg cruising on the motorway the other day. My cars done 78k and i could get the same figures from a 16v that had 120k on it!

Take it into town its late 20's early 30's, as it seems to use a fair old amount idling.

Good service and cleaning the throttle body normally brings MPG back up, but to be honest i think for the engine size the cars pretty good on fuel.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
got 47.2mpg from coventry to brum, i sat behind a lorry all the way, 60mph :D
my mom was shocked when i showed it her lol

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I know :( 4k plus for anything worth having. Oh I don't know what to do, and I only have a couple of months to decide before MOT and insurance run out.

MK4 ibiza/Cordoba 130PD, cordies are cheaper because they weren't popular, seen a couple with sub 60k on them for £3000.

I've always thought there's promise for a sporty saloon with some right mods, however i think the feel of the MK4 interior is very cheap and as a whole package the golf is miles infront.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.