Battery went dead. Warning lights all on.

Brad234

May 24, 2016
Hi

Looking for some advice if possible. I have a Seat Leon FR 2.0 T-FSI 07 plate

I recently purchased a new radio head unit which was fine to install. Once installed I plugged my iPhone into the USB port supplied with the radio and a message came up saying USB load fail and the car battery suddenly went dead.

So I jump started car and got engine running but all the warning lights were on including EPC, engine management, tyre pressure, passenger air bag and will not go off. And now the car is running horribly!!

I thought that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would reset all warning lights but didn't. It's almost as if the ECU has been completely reset and the car is now in limp mode!!

I took it to a garage and they weren't able to solve the issue. He advised me to take it to Seat so that they can re-programme the ECU etc. He also said that the car is drawing amps from somewhere even when ignition off.

I assume it's going to have to go to a Seat dealer but slightly worried about being screwed over!!

Has anyone else had similar issues and if so any advice would be appreciated?.......

Thanks

Brad

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
Hi! I'm not entirely sure what happened there, but when you disconnect the battery it's normal for those lights to come on. Usually you just have to drive it a few meters and the lights will go off.

In your case I'd go to a Seat or a shop/member on here who has vcds and can help you check the error messages.

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Some earlier models suffer from battery drain issues when fitting new headunits.

I guess this has happened and to resolve you will need to upgrade the canbus gateway (if I recall correctly). If the lights don't go off you will need to get the car scanned and errors reset as mentioned above. Hope you get it sorted.

Feb 29, 2020
Hi

Looking for some advice if possible. I have a Seat Leon FR 2.0 T-FSI 07 plate

I recently purchased a new radio head unit which was fine to install. Once installed I plugged my iPhone into the USB port supplied with the radio and a message came up saying USB load fail and the car battery suddenly went dead.

So I jump started car and got engine running but all the warning lights were on including EPC, engine management, tyre pressure, passenger air bag and will not go off. And now the car is running horribly!!

I thought that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would reset all warning lights but didn't. It's almost as if the ECU has been completely reset and the car is now in limp mode!!

I took it to a garage and they weren't able to solve the issue. He advised me to take it to Seat so that they can re-programme the ECU etc. He also said that the car is drawing amps from somewhere even when ignition off.

I assume it's going to have to go to a Seat dealer but slightly worried about being screwed over!!

Has anyone else had similar issues and if so any advice would be appreciated?.......

Thanks

Brad
Did you manage to get this sorted as i have this issue on my vehicle atm

Mar 11, 2020
If the car is from before 2008 then you have to get a new/change the CAN gateway to prevent the car from draining battery after installing a new head unit. So your issue is probably in the CAN/bus.

Brad93

Jun 27, 2019
Barnsley
When I changed my battery same happened to me rang Srs automotive up darkside developments sister shop they told me to go lock to lock with the steering wheel and did that an it worked

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
I had to change my canbus module when I fitted a rns510 unit, to stop any battery drain.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Right a see good to know that actually because I’m actually thinking of fitting one myself
Fairly easy process to be honest. I bought a second hand module from 2010 golf, cost me about £15 if I remember

Brad93

Jun 27, 2019
Barnsley
Fairly easy process to be honest. I bought a second hand module from 2010 golf, cost me about £15 if I remember

Brilliant that’s only thing that my car hasn’t got but was going to go for an rns315 but if I can get the 510 would be even better only really after dab but the 510 as a bigger screen I’m led to believe

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.