Belly pan/sump guard... worth replacing @ £63?

BBoy82

Dan the compressor man...
Oct 25, 2008
East Northants
My belly pan/sump guard has finally bit the dust (after being held together by cable ties for a week or so) in the wake of hitting a rabbit @ 90. :lol:

Is it worth replacing, given the fact a new one is £63 from seat, or should i just can it, and not bother replace?:confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dan

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
the crappy little plastic thing underneath?mine never been on since i done me 1st oil and filter change.to much of a faff on.only adds weight and slows you down!! :lol:

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
It's there for a reason. Airflow, cooling, sound deadening etc etc. I think its expensive for what it is to look at, but £63 aint that much overall. Have you tried a breakers yard ?

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
I would, i find at speed the car is alot smoother, imo it reduces under car turbulance. If i lost mine, id try and find one from a breakers. Other than that, try piecing it back together with some strips of metal and rivets and then get a nice powerful soldering iron and plastic-weld the endges back. Thats what ive done on the pieces that hang down from the chassis legs around the intercooler/drive belts.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
As above, get it, it hass ducting for the clutch and Gear Box to cool these and should help with high speed runs. This will stop big things getting up into the engine bay aswell. Like rabbits;)

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
.....and tractors. I reckon that when I did a test run on mine without the guard on it must have sucked a tractor up cos it sounds just like one, especially first thing.

Plus there is nothing worse than having to keep opening the bonnet to pick all the Civics, Fiesta's and Minis out from the engine bay!! A guard helps ensure that they pass to the rear and are left in the dust.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
.....and tractors. I reckon that when I did a test run on mine without the guard on it must have sucked a tractor up cos it sounds just like one, especially first thing.

Plus there is nothing worse than having to keep opening the bonnet to pick all the Civics, Fiesta's and Minis out from the engine bay!! A guard helps ensure that they pass to the rear and are left in the dust.

PMSL!:cartman:

2footpegs

Jan 17, 2009
yh you should get it replace IMO as mine fell of the other day and on the motorway my MPG seemed to have dropped down a bit, not sure if thats just a coincidence tho (its back on tho now)

BBoy82

Dan the compressor man...
Oct 25, 2008
East Northants
Nice one fellas! Thanks for the swift replies!
I'll get it on order straight away...
Normally £63 quid aint an issue, but im getting married in july... You can imagine!
Cheers, and all the best.
Dan

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
What part is it on this pic?

I only have part number 1, looks like there should be a second section to cover below the sump, is that right?

belly.jpg

gauge100

My Belly Pan / Sump pump has now just decided to fall off. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas where you can get one as i have looked on ebay and nothing is available atm.

Matt

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
It's an undertray, a sump guard would be heavy metal and rigidly mounted to the chassis.

In the ETKA diagram above, the short undertray is the one for the petrol engined cars (apart from the LCR) and the long one is for the diesels. The diesel undertray has a secondary sound-deadening function.

Undertrays improve the car's aerodynamics, smoothing airflow under the car and helping to ensure that the engine bay is a low-pressure zone, promoting airflow through the radiators. They also keep stones and water from damaging the car's electrics and the low-mounted boost pipes on turbo cars. Well worth having, I think.

The LCR has a special undertray, full length and with NACA ducts. The TDI 150 also has a special undertray, as I've just found out - it seems to be thinner than the ordinary TDI undertray, presumably because the 150 Sport is 15mm lower than other Toledos, and to have a dished area below the turbo.

Comparative pictures here.

TDI 150 undertray. This one is damaged (previous owner hit a rock from the look of it, ripping off the back edge and some of the side mounting points). The oil is from the boost pipes, which get it from the PCV system, recirculating crankcase vapours (which are of course oily) into the inlet system.

Underetray-before.jpg

TDI 110 undertray.

Undertraytopside.jpg

As you can see, the diesel undertrays don't have a hole under the engine sump, despite what the ETKA picture seems to show.

Get one from any dealer, parts supplier such as GSF or from David at Sere motors, one of the forum sponsors - see the sections below.

Last edited:

Rgm racer

Sep 22, 2009
Never seen one of these on my mk1 LCR, has anyone got [or can take and post] a photo of one of these, ideally from a mk1 LCR.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I fancy one of those alloy ones that folk are making, save whacking things with the sump and it should last longer than the plastic one.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members