Best bulbs? Nearest to HID brightness

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
i know this has probley been asked before, and have searched but i cant find my answer..

which are the brightest/whitest bulbs i can buy without going HID?

im looking for direct replacements

and which bulbs sizes do i need to buy? i gather that the H7 are the main beam, and the sidelight bulbs are what you have on when its getting dark, but what is the bulb number for the sidelights?

thanks adam! [B)]

SEAT leon 007

May 22, 2007
BHAM
The Side Lights

The side lights are called 501w, ive basically done what u want, ive changed the driving ones(h7), to xenon blue and the side ones to leds, to get rid of the yellow dull ones.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Main Beam H7
Full Beam H1
Sidelights 501

Osram Silverstar or Phillips Bluevision
I had both before i put my HIDs in

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Found this pic for colour comparison

colortemp.jpg

I'm getting some Osram Silverstar H7's & Phillips blue vision 501's tomorrow, so I'll let you know how they look (& post pics if you want)

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
go for Philips X-treme power

As tested in Auto express :

Accessory of the year: Philips X-treme Power
X-treme Power takes our top accessory prize, as it sets a new benchmark for headlamp bulbs. When we tested it alongside both standard and high-performance bulbs, it put them all, literally, in the shade. Based on the light 75 and 50 metres ahead of the driver, the best beam rating the rest could manage was 107, but the new X-treme hit 146 – a massive difference easily seen on the light-tunnel wall. As with all high-performance bulbs, Philips has taken the tolerances allowed by the regulations and pushed them to the limit, not only burning the filament harder, but also reducing the glass envelope to increase gas pressure and deliver more light. A brilliant road safety improvement.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
You could go 100w but to be honest you risk blowing fuses and the odd overheating wire leading into the bulb. Hid kits are so cheap now that a set of normal decent branded set will run you almost as much.

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Missed the delivery yesterday, will pick them up later today mate.

Pics will probably have to wait til tomorrow as the match is on tonight :)

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
due to the general consensus that high beam bulbs shouldn't be run as HIDS...

I'm running High-Beam HID's without any problems...

Haven't had bulb or ballast failure to date (kiss o' death) and with the initial "spark" you get when you switch HIDs on you are still able to flash if required.

Anyway...personal preference with HIDs in High beam, I just do a lot of "back-lane" driving, so they are invaluable in my situ!

I got Phillips GT150's for the Mrs's which weren't too bad

Jan 3, 2006
East Kilbride
Ive got Philips extreme bulbs in just now, meant to be 70% or 80% brighter or something like that... They are brighter and whiter than the standard bulbs but if you spent an extra £20 you could get a brand new set of HID's and you'll notice a bigger difference again...... :D

Cupraloon

I've just fitted some 501 LED side lights have a look at this thread hereabouts
--> http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141144

As for the dip beam H7's your probably looking at some piaa H7's which are about as close to hid's, but the cost isn't much less than hid's which a few on here have bought on fleebay for less than £50.00

So it might be worth looking into that... :yes:

I've used philips gt150 bilbs in the past both in cars and bikes and they are pretty bright, pick out roads signs well, and dhow a decent spread of light, their about £25-30.00

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Fitted the H7 Osram Silverstars & 501 Phillips bluevision sidelights

Massive improvement in light, must be at least 50% brighter & more whiter.

Here are some pics head on

lights1is9.jpg

lights2fs4.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.