Best place to spend 500 bucks?

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
Hi guys, ive just come over to the world of seat after 3 years in a golf gti. Its my first turbo car and i know nothing about them.

The car is a 2001 cupra (180 bhp), its done 55,555 miles which is pretty good and full dealer service history, so its been looked after. Ive just had it diagnosed and the one little fault is being put right tomorrow.

so Im looking to spend some cash under the bonet.

Should I first be looking at a remap or is there a better route for about £500

Any ideas on how i should start would be sweet!

thanks in advance!

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Remap will give you the best bang for your bucks!

Plenty of remaps to choose from though.

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
Wicked, thanks olaf. Ive had a look at the revo remap, the stage one is definately within my price range and it seems like a pretty common choice, do you know if its a custopm remap for each car, or if its just an 'off the shelf job'. Is this a good choice?

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Grab yourself a revo remap and Forge DV, blat around having a great time all day and then go and spend the change down the pub.

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
That sound like a pretty good idea, any ideas where to getr revo in the north west. I know awesome gti are near by but i think they supply some other remap.

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Revo is one of many options. Revo is not tailored to your specific needs.

Worth doing a search. Remapping is probably one of the most popular discussions on here so there will be plenty for you to read through.

tedvagas

Nov 5, 2006
cleveland
been boring here, getting close to cambelt change at 55k might be best getting that done if it hasnt being done already

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
Shes going in next week for a cam belt, Its meant to be done at 60k (i think) but like you say, best getting it done.

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
awesome do APR remaps. There on special offer at the mo, £375 plus VAT. No problems with mine :) very happy.

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
Custom Code, REVO and Jabbasport all have good reviews depending on how you want your car to drive. There are others too, but these are the ones that seem to have most mentions on here. I had the REVO trial, and although it was fun it wouldn't have made my front tyres last too long. I found the CC a whole lot more driveable. The RR print out i got showed there to be less torque than the usual REVO maps, but it was a much smoother curve. You pays your money and takes your choise, but for me the money would definately be on a map and DV.

Mar 5, 2007
Is there a good thread where people have "raced" there variously mapped cars. Like jabba vs revo vs bell vs p-torque etc, or is it really much of a mucnhess?

I've read lots of threads, but never really found anything conclusive mentioned about any of them.

Everyone basically says they're awsome, but when some options are literally half the price of others, it would seem madness to pay the higher amounts!

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
TBH, there probably wouldnt be too much difference when put head to head on a track, it just depends on what you want it to feel like. REVO if you want waaaaaaaaaaa then gone, CC if you want a nice steady surge of power like stock but more-so. As for the others, well, i've not tried them, but i would guess at them being somewhere around the same as these 2.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Shes going in next week for a cam belt, Its meant to be done at 60k (i think) but like you say, best getting it done.

Make sure you get the water pump replaced at the same time, get a water pump with a metal impellor not the original one with the plastic impellor. The plastic impellors are rubbish and wear out prematurely.

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
This is coming together very well guys, I think i might have opened a can of worms here, the whole remap thing is a bit deep.

Thankyou for all the pointers.

Basically Im looking for mods that make passengers in the car say the words "****, ****, **** and ****" So Im guessing by the "revo wooaaaaaaaaaa" that thats what I want.

Good call about the water pump impellor, ive heard that before, ive no service history to say its been changed so Ill get on that while i get the timing belt done.

This is looking good guys.

I think though... like 86 said it would be sweet to get a revo vs this that and the other thread, lets try and get it going and ill add my results when i get the job done.
Even just 0-60 times, 0-100, mile sprints etc.

I bet you guys cant get this thing going... Thats a dare, and I bet you cant do it! ;)

danielbarnett

Apr 19, 2005
STOKE-ON-TRENT
If i had £500 i wouldnt jump straight in for a re-map. Depends what your tuning plans are. You could start off getting a forge dv, induction kit, or a complete turbo back exhaust - look for the group buy on here. as the exhaust will have a lifetime guarantee and it ticks a box for stage 2+

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
That's not a bad thought, but none of those options offer as good value for money as a straight forward remap. If you plan on going to stage 2 you'll need to buy them eventually anyway, and many tuners offer a cheap upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2 so it's not like you're wasting your money by going for stage 1.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.