Best tyres

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
That is a safe proposition, but in a way you'll be 'wasting' the PS4S' capacity in the rear untill you change the next set.
Personally, I would sell these two perfectly fine Pirellis and get four 4S'.

My reasoning is that we only have this car a limited time and it's a bit of a shame to save those last few quid on a car costing many thousands to optimise economy instead of driving. Otherwise might as well gotten the base diesel version... And even there, I would always get the best tyre, from an energy perspective perhaps :)

Chuggs1

Sep 22, 2016
Think I may change all 4 and as I'm on a lease will put back the old ones when I hand back at 2 years

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Hopefully not necro-bumping this thread but...

Any more info or personal feedback on the: Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 tyre?

My front 2 are getting close, so wondered how these handled. They seem to have incredible reviews on here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/SportMaxx-RT-2_2.htm and so far hear nothing but good things.

Currently on Bridgestones T001 which are erm..."tramping" and wheel hopping more and more now it seems, so looking for tyres that will stay planted, grippy, not bouce, hop or jig about and allow me get my remapped power down without too much spin. Although after these T001s i'd take wheelspin all day over the sodding wheel hopping which sounds like and old washing machine banging from side to side as it spins up...!

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Hopefully not necro-bumping this thread but...

Any more info or personal feedback on the: Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 tyre?

My front 2 are getting close, so wondered how these handled. They seem to have incredible reviews on here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/SportMaxx-RT-2_2.htm and so far hear nothing but good things.

Currently on Bridgestones T001 which are erm..."tramping" and wheel hopping more and more now it seems, so looking for tyres that will stay planted, grippy, not bouce, hop or jig about and allow me get my remapped power down without too much spin. Although after these T001s i'd take wheelspin all day over the sodding wheel hopping which sounds like and old washing machine banging from side to side as it spins up...!
Changing from the Bridgestones will reduce the wheel hop, it will not eliminate it totally , you will still get it albeit not as severe ( one bang instead of several ) . It has been covered elsewhere, but the main issue seems to be bushes being too soft causing the drive line to bounce.

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
I would say go for the Michelin Super Sport if you can.

worth the extra few squids per corner.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Changing from the Bridgestones will reduce the wheel hop, it will not eliminate it totally , you will still get it albeit not as severe ( one bang instead of several ) . It has been covered elsewhere, but the main issue seems to be bushes being too soft causing the drive line to bounce.

Good to know. Would that be the torque arm insert thing? https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/neuspeed/neuspeed-engine-torque-arm-insert/ i'd get it, but i need to obviously get a 21mm socket and a torque wrench that went up to 75nm or more for undoing/tightening, so i suppose someone like screw fix or halford or something would have what i need for that. If anyone can suggest a good wrench please link me :).

I would say go for the Michelin Super Sport if you can.

worth the extra few squids per corner.

They do not do them in 17 inches otherwise i'd consider them.

However from the looks of those dunlop ones they seem to be superb, plus they seem to be new, plus, they seem to be one of the best tyres that are available to do locally for me literally a 300m walk away for me.

Thanks for info though, i'll get on that insert too.

Last edited:

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
I would consider the Powerflex inserts also. I've replaced my Neuspeed with one. The Powerflex ones come in differing versions depending on what mount version you have, and in different hardnesses depending on your application / use (diesel, normal, track, race).

Piran

Jun 2, 2015
Kent
I'm getting the michelin pilot sport 4s fitted Wednesday which seem to come out better in every aspect against the PSS so they must be good. Will give some feed back in a couple of weeks

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Probably a stupid question, but hey, thought i'd ask anyway.

My current tyres the T001s are rated at: 225/45R17 W 91 and with the RT2 they will be 225/45R17 Y 91

Am I solid with just getting the FRONT wheels changed to the RT2s? Or should I just get all 4 done? I mean, with it being a FWD car and all and with the rears not really in that bad of a shape, is it even worth getting all 4 done at this stage?

Part of me wants to, just to be rid of the T001s so i am leaning towards a 4 swap completely, especially as they will be quieter, higher speed index and high tolerence.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
As I recommended before, swap all 4 and have the same grip all round. If the T001 are significantly worse in certain conditions, it could make the car dangerously unstable in e.g. emergency evasive action.

So:
- get all 4 new
- sell the T001, someone for sure is looking for two new tyres...
- With the RT2, swap tyres front to back a few times during their expected lifetime to even out wear. This is only safe to do if there is no significant difference in thread depth front/rear. That way next time, further forward, you are free to swap to any other make and model and don't lose on tyres you didn't use.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
After looking at the rears, they look pretty used, certainly not "new" looking after 7500 miles so it's not like they are going to waste. Wonder is this is something i could of considered before ordering the car...although i doubt i could of just gone "fit these please!" as simple as that.

Anyway i'll consider keeping hold of the rear 2 tyres then and take any offers that come my way, something is better than nothing/disposal true.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
I've sold many used tyres, bit of a 'try new tyres' junkie, there are always people trying to save 50£ from fitting new crap linglong tyres and get a (bit worn) quality tyre instead...

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
I am not sure about quality with the T001s haha but i see your point! I suppose also I could just keep the 2 rears for spares just in case too, wouldn't know what to flog them for used, £50 per tyre or £80 for both? xD.

We'll see, need to get my clutch looked at first, or something looked at, the engagement "clasping/grabbing" sound is doing my nut in a little bit, i'm sure it's not supposed to be happening but hey Off Topic.

Springrollz

Jul 22, 2016
London
Has anyone had any experience with other high performance tires? Like the new sport conti 6 , ad08s or p zeros?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Has anyone had any experience with other high performance tires? Like the new sport conti 6 , ad08s or p zeros?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I have a full set of Ad08r on my lcr, very good tyre, unbelievable grip in the dry and on a damp road. They are not very good in heavy rain or standing water.

Last edited:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Posting this in my own thread but posting here too. Now that the weather is warming up a lot more across the board, the T001 tyres seem to be coping better. I mean, they still slip a bit and TC like to cut in a bit too offen but since i got my car originally end of august i never had much time to deliver a full, worn in hard set of driving in warm dry conditions as september/october got pretty mild quite quickly.

What I am going to do, is instead keep these tyres a bit longer and push them pretty hard in the nice weather we have currently, find the limit, find what works with them then perhaps in a few weeks time instead i can consider a 4 swap. May as well just rag em hard in the good weather as they seem at least for now, to be doing a bit better.

Last edited:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Experimenting with tyres is a fascinating, if expensive, hobby - a bit like choosing your favourite beer. :cheers:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Ha, i still don't know my favourite beer after 10 years (lol) of drinking ales :p, I love so many of them! I know what you mean though, the best recipe is just getting tyres that characterise your cars traits as best as possible.

For me, i want the extreme dry grip, much much better wet grip, no wheel hopping and to keep that tight, agile, precise handling and exceptionally good throttle pick up the 1.8 FR shines at. It feels like it's 85% of the way there in good weather at the moment, new tyres should make that 99% before the +11% from a remap soon haha.