Best tyres

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Well, bit the bullet and Dunlop SportMaxx RT2s fitted today all round, only had a couple hours or so driving today with them but holy ****...absolutely immediate difference in traction, performance and feedback and noise reduction :-o. once warm, superb feel to surface and they dig right the hell into the road and the car just wants to rip through corners, or roundabouts in this case, and what's best, seemingly no instances of wheel hop :D

They get up to volume at about 40mph then don't seem to get any louder after than which is great (just wind noise at 8/9/10 speeds as "normal" for leons) and they are quieter than the T001s noticably. They don't squeel when under full lock parking/turning any more either which is great and there seems to be an even greater level of feedback than before on this, not that warm, but dry day.

Day 1 is day 1 though, lets see how they are after 100 days and then 200 , but from first impressions I am thoroughly impressed, big grins, makes me even more confident in the already superb handling and grip from the car to get my remap in the future :).

Just need some rainy days now to test that but so far, wheel hop eliminated, only a bit of spin when "cool" and beyond that just the TC nudging me a little on course, but so far under almost full throttle 1st gear, very little interference from the TC which was also rather impressive.

TL;DR...GOOD TYRES! :happy:

Last edited:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Can't say I've ever noticed the difference a change of tyres can make (except after a puncture)
But it's heartening to see that a significant improvement can be gained over an already excellent package by making informed choices at a time of routine maintenance.
Needless to say my next set of rubbers will also be coming from Fort Dunlop. :thumbup:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
I think the fact it is all 4 tyres in one go and it's a switch to a very performance based tyre is why there is such a difference. My main goal was to eliminate wheel hop whilst trying to avoid a torque arm insert mod but to keep that on the table just in case, i wanted to switch to new tyres just to get away from the bridgestones and honestly i was expecting some difference but not this much. It sounds a bit cliche but it's true in hearing that it really does make it feel like a different car only in that the way it digs for a FWD car is excellent.

Bit cooler where i am today so will take them out again around some more windy bits of road and see what's what, but first impressions are strong and satisfying :).

Springrollz

Jul 22, 2016
London
Has anyone bought from Ben Patey ? He sells Michelin pilot super sports for cheap but it seems too good to be true . What really arouses my suspicion is that he wants a bank transfer. I could go collect it but it's a 40mile drive :/

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Needless to say my next set of rubbers will also be coming from Fort Dunlop. :thumbup:
You'll be lucky , unless you buy tyres from Primani ... Although they do sell rubbers at Boots, good luck trying to get them on your car... :p

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Has anyone bought from Ben Patey ? He sells Michelin pilot super sports for cheap but it seems too good to be true . What really arouses my suspicion is that he wants a bank transfer. I could go collect it but it's a 40mile drive :/

Loads have from the meganesport.net and rsmegane forum (where I'm also a member as I've got a Megane 225) and they sing his praises. The only negative is getting hold of him!
In December, he was doing a full set of 235/35/19 PSS's for £550 - bargain!

Supercopa Dan

May 19, 2014
www.facebook.com

I did last month no problem at all did transfer through PayPal not much more protection but better than nothing. Tyres delivered in 3 days no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016

I thought we all liked driving?!

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
And the tyres from Ben patey are factory fresh? No marks or signs of wear? I'm with springrollz it seems crazy cheap. Not any kind of personal slight on the man but when anyone appears to be turning water into wine it warrants a little discussion. If he delivers nation wide for that price your talking well into a 200 pound saving over black circles. I seen a link referring to this dated back before Christmas and assumed he perhaps had some limited stock he was trying to shift but In now appears this is an ongoing thing? If they definitely aren't a Chinese knock off then its a no brained getting a set.

In other news. My front Dunlop Rs2s have absolutely came alive towards the end of their life. I will need to replace them before summer but they are sticking like glue to the uncharacteristicly dry roads we've had here the last two weeks. Wasn't a huge fan of them through the winter but don't have the storage capacity for keeping two sets of wheels. They weren't dangerous don't get me wrong just not as much fun. Would highly recommend them for the summer months though. Anyone have experience with the Michelin ps4s over the winter?

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
Ben is a great guy, sells a lot of stock which is why he gets such good deals.

Does not have too many over heads so does not need to mark everything up like most places.

Those super sports were 2016 stock and all original so a great deal. He does not sell any Chinese crap abd has lots of happy clients.

Those SS were a steal. Also being replaced by the ps4s so older stock needs to go

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
Anyone have experience with the Michelin ps4s over the winter?

Yes, got two on the front. Pretty consistent in all conditions. Obviously you need to take more care when it's wet and cold, but not at all like the Conti 5s which went completely to pot in the wet

h09

Apr 13, 2017
Might be a silly question but obviously the cupra is FWD so is there any benefit in say getting super sports for all 4 corners, or would just getting them on the front and a cheaper tyre on the back work just as well for traction while accelerating?

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
This might sound good in theory and would be a fantastic idea if you only ever planned on driving in straight lines It is actually officially advised that your best conditioned tyres should be on the rear wheels of a front wheel drive car as the thought is that you can controll loss of traction in the front wheels far easier than if you lose control of your rear end. Although this is something I don't prescribe to as like you say if your getting new tyres you want that new grip up front and as long as your rear wheels still have good tred and are a good tyre to begin with you would need to go to some considerable lengths to lose control of them. That is the point however. That the rear needs to be as good as the front. Some on here will encourage tyre rotation also to avoid large discrepancies in front and rear tred. Short answer is no do not cheap out on rear tyres as your life may depend on them one day.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Might be a silly question but obviously the cupra is FWD so is there any benefit in say getting super sports for all 4 corners, or would just getting them on the front and a cheaper tyre on the back work just as well for traction while accelerating?

No. Just... No.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Has anyone tried the Pirelli P Zero tyres on their Cupra? Just had my first service and apparently need some new fronts - been told the Conti's on the front are not available through Seat and they wanted to charge me £326 per corner for Michelin PS 4S. Done some reading and comparisons and think I've concluded I'll get the Pirellis but would like to see if anyone has tried them? All the reviews of the Michelins I've found seem to be done by people driving 2-5k miles and I've already done 12k in 9 months (find any excuse to go for a drive!).

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Has anyone tried the Pirelli P Zero tyres on their Cupra? Just had my first service and apparently need some new fronts - been told the Conti's on the front are not available through Seat and they wanted to charge me £326 per corner for Michelin PS 4S. Done some reading and comparisons and think I've concluded I'll get the Pirellis but would like to see if anyone has tried them? All the reviews of the Michelins I've found seem to be done by people driving 2-5k miles and I've already done 12k in 9 months (find any excuse to go for a drive!).

Not had P zero's on the Mk3 but on the previous R ( same size etc) whilst they seemed like a good tyre handling wise they seemed very susceptible to side wall damage. In 24k had two changed because of bulges in sidewall and two due to pothole damage , unrepairable. Changed for Goodyear Assy 2's, no problems. Current 290 will be going onto assys as soon as OEM Conti's are worn out. And £326 a corner? :cartman: :rofl: That is really taking the pi55. Never, EVER let a dealer fit your tyres. Unless you like throwing money away. If that's the case, give me £300 per tyre and I'll sort you out ;)

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Yeah I told them I'll take my car elsewhere for tyres!
Interesting about potholes though - there's so many around where I live and I'm going to need a tyre that withstands them or withstands the evasive last second swerving to avoid them or the car I've just moved into the path of by trying to avoid the pothole!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise