Big Turbo Small Queries

mackdaddy

:confused: Big Turbo - servicing and exhaust?

A few queries:

Here goes...I'm saving either for IanB's Awesome Stage III or JBS' IHI hybrid.

First of all servicing - if I'm doing 10k a year with no track use couldn't I just change the oil, plugs and filter every year or is there more needed?

Secondly I want to retain the 'stealth' look of the car and the sound, so could I go for a big turbo but retain the stock exhaust and air filter? Would this just limit power or would the engine struggle?

While I'm here, I have researched this but I need views....300bhp/lbs...regular driver...can I get away with an upgraded SMIC?

...phew...got them off my chest....:fool:

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
Hi there,

Servicing wise that should be ok, just keep an eye on oil levels etc and look after it, you should be fine.

Stealth look is all good, if you see the pictures from Ian's install you can see how stock it looks, and it sounds pretty subdued too. There would be no point at all going for the stage 3 or IHI kit without changing the exhaust and air filter. You need to have as free a flowing system as you can really. Ian kept his standard air box and is using a high flow panel filter IIRC. You could always get a discreet exhaust system for it if you dont want any tailpipes showing.

I'd only recommend going for a front mount with the stage 3. To get over 300 horsepower you will need one for sure.

Hope this has helped :)

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Hi Mackdaddy
Keep saving for the APR kit...........absolutely superb.....if you want a blast give a PM and I will something out.

Neil Birkett drove car at weekend....full report in VW Driver on the GTI Inters issue...think he was pretty impressed with everthing overall and he loved the install and back up package from Jim and APR.

As Andy said stock air box on my car....I'm getting on a bit these days and wanted a quiet stock like drive. Install looks stock except for nice APR maf housing.

Brilliant low speed manners. I've got Neuspeed FMIC on at moment which is smaller than many custom made Forge items....seems ok for road use but on track only time will tell....I may change if it is not up for it on track.

You definately need a free flowing exhaust to benefit the flow from turbo otherwise it will strangle the output...Milltek system on mine...nice and subtle and quiet.

Good luck

Ian

mackdaddy

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated!:)

I'll be looking out for that mag....

and as soon as I get the money - in it goes!:drool:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
On the servicing I would be inclined to do an Oil and filter change in between services, modern oils are great and way better than in turbo cars of the 80's etc, however with the very high temps I think 5k oil changes are worth it.

Besides if you spend £4k plus on a BT conversion skimping on an Oil change seems foolish.....small garages will only charge 1/2hr labout if you buy the oil and filter yourself (unless you don;t mind getting your hands dirty) so you should only be spending £60 ish