Bits of dipstick crumbled into oil sump?

vanya

Feb 23, 2019
Was just changing my dipstick tube as the old one snapped in half. A couple/few bits of the plastic crumbled off down the tube into the sump.

The bits were only 1-5mm big. I'm thinking shouldn't be much of a problem - will either melt or get crushed up if they make it past the pick up/oil filter?

Was planning on doing an oil change at the weekend so should be fine. Could anyone just confirm that it's not a big issue.

Thanks!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Had same a while back.
No it won’t melt or break down.
There were bit s left in the pick up and had reduced flow and oil light came on too.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: vanya

vanya

Feb 23, 2019
Had same a while back.
No it won’t melt or break down.
There were bit s left in the pick up and had reduced flow and oil light came on too.

Oh okay thanks - was literally 3 small bits so hopefully doesn't cause any pick up issues.
With a bit of luck they will just come out when I flush the oil I guess

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
It’s really cheap on these about 5 quid if I remember correctly.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
You may as well replace the pick-up tube/o-ring while you’ve got the sump off.
Remember there isn’t a gasket on the sump, it’s RTV sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanya

Feb 23, 2019
You may as well replace the pick-up tube/o-ring while you’ve got the sump off.
Remember there isn’t a gasket on the sump, it’s RTV sealant.

Yeah will change the pick up pipe - wasn’t aware there was an o ring though?

Any sealants youl would recommend?

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
This is the sealant I got when I changed my sump.
221113ab986da1a52d8650df52f939a4.jpg

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Was just changing my dipstick tube as the old one snapped in half. A couple/few bits of the plastic crumbled off down the tube into the sump.

The bits were only 1-5mm big. I'm thinking shouldn't be much of a problem - will either melt or get crushed up if they make it past the pick up/oil filter?

Was planning on doing an oil change at the weekend so should be fine. Could anyone just confirm that it's not a big issue.

Thanks!

If you don’t have any other reason to remove the sump then localize a few bits of the plastic I wouldn’t do it.

In my case I had the same problem (replaced tube+ dipstick) on our Audi 2005 1.8T. During following oil drain/change occasion the lost bits came out with the oil via the drain plug hole. No big deal. Had no benefit of removing sump and change pickup since I have owned the car since new and always changed oil rather often – no oil sludge!

Try first to drain them out!

/Peter

vanya

Feb 23, 2019
If you don’t have any other reason to remove the sump then localize a few bits of the plastic I wouldn’t do it.

In my case I had the same problem (replaced tube+ dipstick) on our Audi 2005 1.8T. During following oil drain/change occasion the lost bits came out with the oil via the drain plug hole. No big deal. Had no benefit of removing sump and change pickup since I have owned the car since new and always changed oil rather often – no oil sludge!

Try first to drain them out!

/Peter

Had the same thoughts tbh mate but I’ve only had the car for a month so probably not the worst idea to drop it as no idea what can be there.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise