BMW E91 320D Touring - Black - 1 Stage Paint Correction Detail

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
E91 BMW Sapphire Black 320D Touring – Paint Correction Detail

Seems everyone is getting a BMW these days. My good friend Liam (detailed his mk3 Ibiza Cupra a few times before) got a nice 320D Touring for me to have a little play with. I was looking forward to this detail because I have same colour BMW so will give me a good idea of what’s in store next year when she gets a full on correction.

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to take pictures of the wash and decontamination process. Was a full on day and Liam helped me every step of the way to make sure he left in time for dinner. We managed to get few 50/50’s and plenty of finished shots too.

Products used:

Products
Wash n Drying
  • Dodo Juice Supernatural Shampoo [body and wheels]
  • AutoSmart G101 All Purpose Cleaner [Plastics and Rubbers]
  • AutoSmart Tardis [body and wheels]
  • Megs APC as Snowfoam [body]
  • Chemical Guys Orange Degreaser [arch liners]
  • Wolfs Chemicals De-ironiser [wheels]
  • PB Super Plush Drying Towel [body]
  • Various microfibers [body]

Body Work
  • Dodo Juice fine polyclay [body]
  • AutoSmart Reglaze [everything]
  • Menzerna Intensive Polish 3.02 [body – machine polish]
  • AutoFinesse Rejuvenate [hard to reach areas – hand polish]

Sealants and Waxes
  • Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore Wax [LSP]
  • Chemical Guys Acrylic Sealant [Wheels]
  • Autosmart Tango [Wheels]
  • AutoFinesse Tripple [Door shuts and interior shiny plastics]

Plastics, Rubbers and Glass
  • Megs Tyre Endurance Gel [tyres]
  • Autobrite Crystal [glass outside only]
  • AutoSmart Finish [Plastics and arch liners]
  • WD40 [Plastics and Rubbers]

Tools
  • Dodo Juice Spin Doctor Rotary
  • Megs G220 DA
  • Karcher Pressure washer + Snow foam Lance
  • Elite Car Care heavy polishing pad
  • Swissvax Detail Brushes
  • EZ Detail Wheel Brush
  • 3M 3434 Masking Tape

The car had been treated with CarLack NSC. It must of done an amazing job of cleaning up the paintwork as the clay hardly picked up anything. The pictures haven’t really caught the buffer trails left courtesy of BMW when they sold the car to Liam. Overall the paintwork was one of the better cars I have seen, especially BMW wise!

DSCF4539.JPG

DSCF4540.JPG

DSCF4541.JPG

DSCF4544.JPG

DSCF4546.JPG

DSCF4547.JPG

DSCF4548.JPG

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Squared off a small area and hit the car with a heavy polishing pad and Menz IP. Worked really well so carried on with this combination only switching to a light polishing pad and Menz IP again for the roof and areas with slightly lower paint readings where BMW went a bit mental with the polisher.

DSCF4549.JPG

DSCF4552.JPG

DSCF4553.JPG

DSCF4560.JPG

DSCF4561.JPG

DSCF4564.JPG

DSCF4566.JPG

Panel had long scratch on and lots of swirls/RDS.

DSCF4567.JPG

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
A lot of RDS gone and scratch lessens but needed a lot more work. Just didn’t have the time to get them all. I took picture at this angle cause it was only way I had a clear view of defects. Head on and standing up they were invisible.

DSCF4568.JPG

DSCF4569.JPG

DSCF4570.JPG

DSCF4571.JPG

DSCF4572.JPG

DSCF4573.JPG

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
DSCF4588.JPG

DSCF4589.JPG

DSCF4593.JPG

Overall we were both really pleased with outcome. Both Liam and I worked very hard on getting her back to her former glory. The inside of the car was also detailed, door shuts cleaned and polished etc..We were so busy trying to get car finished at a reasonable time we simply forgot to take pictures of everything.

We talked about taking car back to BMW dealer and say “next time, please sell cars in this condition!” but lets face it, it would be a waste of time.

Thanks for reading!

Detailers Notes
- I am beginning to hate black cars lol
- With right pad/polish combination BMW paint doesn’t have to be a pain in the back side

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Lovely work Maz... cracking reflections in the afters :thumbup:

I have another 1 series on the cards, this one is a M Sport in blue so am expecting the paint to be super hard. Its not had a lot of love over the last few years either so should be a challenge.

Hope your keeping busy as well mate ;)

Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
I think you worked harder than i did Maz, lol.

Have to say amazing work by Maz as usual, really pleased with the outcome in the small time frame he had.

Only down side is, we went out for a spin in his 335d and oh my god the 320d feels slow now. Might be time for a power upgrade already.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thanks everyone.
I think you worked harder than i did Maz, lol.

Have to say amazing work by Maz as usual, really pleased with the outcome in the small time frame he had.

Only down side is, we went out for a spin in his 335d and oh my god the 320d feels slow now. Might be time for a power upgrade already.

Welcome Liam, good to see you again mate.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think that's where I would be looking.

As nice enough as the 335 is, I'm not ready for an auto box yet!

Maybe in 10 years plus when I swap the Blade in for a GS and start thinking about Jags and carpet slippers.... ;)

You will be suprised how good the flappy paddles are in manual and application appreciate the auto in traffic Lee. :)

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I could understand it living in the smog, but out here in the reasonably open countryside I think I'll stick to playing with a knob :D

control issues? unfortunately as in all areas of my life......