Bodywork Advice - New Leon FR 1.4 TSI Alor Blue

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
Hi Guys,

Firstly, we took delivery of our 14 plate 5DR Leon FR 1.4 TSI in Alor Blue on Sunday. Fantastic car, really surprised by the performance of this engine in comparison to our Leon MK2 2.0 TDI CR that we traded in; the colour is incredible IMO, seems to look a completely different hue dependent on the lighting outside! :D ... Shame the Mrs gets to drive this on a daily basis!!

I gave the car bodywork a good look over before leaving the forecourt, searching for scuffs and scratches since ive been caught out by this before, it was immaculate apart from a slight scuff on the front passenger side bumper, very slight - they are going to buff this out.

I do however have a confession. I managed to get a deal on Supagard treatment for the car, i know its not favoured amongst the hardcore detailers on here, especially when applied by a dealer (so spare the pitchforks, haha). However, the interior protection was worth its weight in gold with its 3 year guarantee for us. Im fairly particular about my interior staying new in appeareance, as its where you spend most of your time - especially since we opted for the alcantara. Spilt childrens drinks, greasy fingers etc.. if they dont wipe away and the seats stain, the dealer/supagard will clean and if need-be re-upholster. This of course also meant that the dealer would apply the coating to the exterior bodywork, which i was particularly sceptical about. I did plenty of research on this, knew that they could damage the bodywork if not done right, and i also found that i could buy the full kit of ebay for a little short of £50, however i don't have the time ATM to detail a second car, and i've never been confident with claying the bodywork in preperation for such treatment. I figured having the treatment applied on to fresh bodywork was the best time for success. I spend far too much time washing and waxing my own car (BMW F20 120d M Sport) that i figured having the hard supagard wax layer would save me doing both in such detail - my neighbour had the same treatment applied to his car and im always jealous of how easy it is for him to achieve a great finish with just a wash alone.

The Leon bodywork does look stunning, although whilst filling up with fuel last night my keen eye for detail spotted very faint swirl marks in the top layer of lacquer. The faintest of marks that you can only see under extremely bright lights at the pumps. They are unnoticeable, even at very close up in the daytime, and hardly noticeable if i shine my iPhone torch over the bodywork. Ive since looked closely at my BM bodywork, which is metallic Valencia Orange, and despite a few swirls they are very sparse - the BM has never had any treatment applied to it other than autoglym wash and wax products, and i am particular with my sponge, ensuring i was with the 2 bucket method etc.. seperate sponge for wheels and bodywork.

What i would like to know:

- Is the Leon lacquer known for being soft, ie are these very very faint swirls the product of washing the bodywork, if so - im fine with that as the car needs to be washed? Our MK2 Leon was silver so hides these kind of marks very well.
- Also has anyone else noticed similar swirls shortly after delivery, or are they present now after several months of ownership and washing?

Advice on what to do:

- My heart says to take it back to the dealer and get it put right (unless its a non-issue - i have a keen eye for detail when it comes to bodywork and once you know about a mark, you will always know :( ).
- My brain says, that if i take it back, they could machine polish it and make it worse. Also, they would need to remove the supagard and then re-apply, which could mean back to square 1.

Would just appreciate some advice on this from fellow bodywork-enthusiasts!!

Thanks, Ben

Last edited:

Subc

May 12, 2008
Scotland
If unhappy with the body work and thinking of taking it back to the dealer I would do it sooner rather than later ,as time and out of their care may be become an issue for them.

As regards washing 2 bucket method is the way, but would suggest Lambs wool mitt or similar as kinder to the bodywork than a sponge.

Supaguard had it once but never gave me the bling factor so went back to normal detailing.

Supaguard relies on good paintwork prep if the paint isn't prepped properly it will never look good. Very possible that paint marked in the process it only takes a tiny bit of grit.

Seems a lot of people on here with the MK3 seem to be having issues with swirls on the paint I went to look at an A3 last week and it was full of them with 5K on the clock. It dosent surprise me seen some of the cars been cleaned.

Only way to deal with them is machine polish but would be careful on who I let loose with one on my car as their is an awful lot of "Experts" appearing".

Last edited:

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
Okay, here is my opinion.

The swirls will have been inflicted by the dealership and would have probably been done during the cleaning stage, so they will have been there regardless of having the supagard. I guess there is more touching of the paintwork with the supagard, so the swirl infliction is increased. Personally, i wouldn't worry with trying to get the dealership to sort this. Firstly, you are likely to have a problem convincing them it is a problem they have inflicted and need to rectify. Then secondly, the chances are they will either make it worse or at least not resolve the problems. It is also important to note, these swirls will also be inflicted if you use one of the £5 polish hand wash places. It is even possible by yourself, although two bucket method will limit this.

If it bothers you, I would take it to a professional detailer and have it sorted and they will seal and wax it up so you are for just maintenance washes for a while anyway. That way, you still have the interior covered by the supagard guarantee from the dealer and the outside properly fixed and in a better than new state.

Sadly, it is near on impossible to get a brand new car from any dealer without some kind of swirl damage. I don't think the Leon is any more susceptible to this than any other car.

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
Only way to deal with them is machine polish but would be careful on who I let loose with one on my car as their is an awful lot of "Experts" appearing".

Thanks Subc, thats why i'm hesitant to take it back to the dealer, i dont think they have a bodyshop attached so it would just be a valeter and who knows what will happen - especially if they attack the entire body.

Thing is, in normal daylight you would be hard pushed to notice, but since i know its there it bugs me. I obviously don't want to take a machine polisher to it myself, as i have no experience with one, and then it would have to be re-supagarded.

I'm also not convinced its the supagard treatment that has caused the swirls, they could probably have been there from initial washing and removing the transport waxes etc.. The bodywork isn't hazy in the slightest, so would these swirls gradually come out over time with some TLC over the next couple of years? Although i guess if im down to the lacquer buffing out swirls then my treatment will have been removed.

Theres far too many valeters out there that cut corners, use the silly silicon blades to remove water and dont care about dropped sponges. We have a guy that comes to our offices, does the bosses very expensive cars etc.. wouldn't trust him with any of my cars tho after seeing him drop sponges and carry on regardless [:@]

Any more thoughts ...? Thanks

Subc

May 12, 2008
Scotland
Normal daylight is near impossible to spot swirls in the paint Sunlight and Filling station Lights are when most people notice. Detailers use lamps to replicate this and make them stand out so they can correct them. Its not great paying possibly over £20k and having these worries you shouldn't but seems to be common these days (neighbour with new A4 S Line absolutely covered)

A lot of polishes use fillers you wouldn't know you had a problem until they broke down after purchase.

If you don't want to take it back I would enjoy your car until the roads are clear of crap and book it in to a Pro detailer as advised by Marve and let him work his magic (or her). Check out detailing world for a recommendation in your area.

I would still mention it to the dealer as if no one complains nothing will change, also if you put the case across you are wanting a detailing expert to do the slight correction they may cough up or meet you half way as even a call to SEAT customer services airing your concern may help.

Good luck in what you choose and enjoy your car.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Mine was swirled all over and I manged to get it corrected by a detailer of my choice at SEAT's expense in the end.

Last edited:

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
A lot will depend on the severity of it. Deanc's was pretty bad, mine has some very light swirls, but they're so minor I can't be bothered arguing with them, I'll have the dual action on it when the weather is better anyway.
If you do think they're bad enough to warrant it, don't wash it, and get it back to the dealer for them to inspect as soon as possible. My last car ended up getting detailed at dealer's expense after someone washed it with a brillo pad while it was in for service, even after I'd asked them not to wash it, but it was an argument. TBH, most people don't care look at the number of hologramed cars you see round where people have been at them with £30 halfords polishers and tcut. Chances are the dealers staff are in this category (I've only ever met one salesman who appeared at all interested in cars, which always strikes me as odd)

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Ben

Its fairly certain that if you take your car back to the dealer for them to remedy the swirls they would either not be able to see them or potentially make it worse. I never let the dealer wash my car as I have seen the way they do it. It depends how bad the swirls are, but it is near impossible to prevent minor swirls appearing in ‘dark’ colours no matter how careful you are with your wash process.

As has been said you could wait for a better spell of weather and book in for a professional detail, to machine polish and remove the swirls. Or depending on how bad they are you could choose a polish and or wax that contains fillers to hide the swirls (they will re appear after a couple of washes). Our Black Ibiza shows a few swirls after washing so I have tried a number of different products pending a light machine polish in the spring. The best I have found to hide the swirls is Zymol Cleaner Wax available in Halfords £13.99– use a very little and apply with a damp foam applicator removing before completely dry – this will hide all minor swirls. The other option is to go for a glaze like Poor boys Black Hole or Maguire’s Show Car Glaze followed by a non abrasive wax.

If it was me I would get the Zymol, apply VERY sparingly with a damp applicator and use decent microfibres towels to remove almost immediately (the Megs ones in Halfords are good quality). If you get a lot of dust you are applying way to much.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Rob

Last edited:

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Mine was swirled all over and I manged to get it corrected by a detailer of my choice at SEAT's expense in the end.

same here, mine was full of swirls and roof had 4 scratches the full length of roof I spotted when the sun shone on it, returned to the dealer and they paid for a detailer of my choice to correct it.

when times right get an enhancement detail done, have a look on this page for some examples

https://www.facebook.com/NorthEastCarCareUK

have a look at this link, I had mine done, results are mighty fine

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=391846

Last edited:

smurf123

Feb 9, 2014
swindon wiltshire
first thing never use a sponge as any grit that is in the small holes in the sponge will carry on scratching the car as already said use a lambswool mit or microfibre mit and wipe down with a microfibre towel. when i picked mine up a few weeks ago it had some swirl marks it it told the dealer and they done it but did not use a polisher all they done was use a polish with glaze in it which only fills in the swirls but doesnt last.i had to use a duel action polisher and compounds meguires 105 then 205 to get swirls out followed by a good wax and then sonax brilliant shine which is like a sealer. or gtechniks c2v3 which you use like a detailer spray and lasts 8 months seat paint is quite soft

Last edited:

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
Hi Guys,

Sorry for such a late reply on this thread, I've been keeping up with your responses but haven't been near a PC to make a reply.

So the car went back to the dealership to have the scuff on the bumper polished out, they did a really good job so cannot fault them on that. I have dealt with this through the original salesman, who seems to genuinely want to help - even after the sale has been done. Whilst i was doing my pass over the car on hand over, he was looking around the car with me, and commenting on the how he was unimpressed with the job that the valets had done (leaving polish over-spill on the plastics, in the FR badge etc...) so when it went back i mentioned the swirls for my own peace of mind. I did request that i didn't want them dealing with, and also asked that they didn't wash the car when they had it in - to which they obliged. After reading your posts, i realised that the swirls i have are very very minor, especially after seeing those that were on DeanC's FR: that was truly appalling, how they ever thought they could hand that over is beyond me.

I have since invested in a Lambswool Meg's Mitt and some Grit Guards for my buckets, these are two things that i hadn't ever thought of, and tbh i never thought any of these mitt's could compete with a good old bucket and sponge or let alone get around the grit being trapped between the sponge/mitt and bodywork. I will give the car its first wash next weekend with the Supagard products - Kudos for the links to detail world about the washing procedure.

A little off-topic, I took my winter wheels off the BM at the weekend, the alloys were filthy (mainly since i couldn't get in to clean them as there is little clearance between them and the disks as i'd downsized to 16" from 18"). I used, for the first time wheel cleaner (the supagard stuff from the Leon kit), and it is really good stuff; although i cannot compare to anything else as this is my first use. I was initially unsure about these products as i understand they can damage the rims if they are split or corroded in any way (which my winters are, as they were only cheap, and tbh i dont really care about them). I followed up with the Supagard sealer, and they have come up a treat.

I was thinking long term about wheel cleaners as it did make life easier, and i had been recommended the Purple Rain stuff in the past, what are your views on this and wheel cleaners in general? My main concerns are how they would damage the bodywork with overspill, and of course theres still the issue of rim damage? Also, these products are obsviously designed for use whilst the wheels are on the car, however are they bad for the brake pads/disks, as i cannot see how the Supagard Wheel Protector stuff (which is like a wax) can be any good for the disks, since its an aerosol spray application it's kinda hard to avoid these areas.

Thanks once again guys, you've been a fantastic help!! :D

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
for your wheels you cant go wrong with valet pro bilberry wheel cleaner, used it for a number of years, its also ph neutral

every so often clean the wheels with either the purple rain or an equivalent such as iron x or bilt hamber auto wheel. all 3 products are similar

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
for your wheels you cant go wrong with valet pro bilberry wheel cleaner, used it for a number of years, its also ph neutral

every so often clean the wheels with either the purple rain or an equivalent such as iron x or bilt hamber auto wheel. all 3 products are similar

^ This. These are the first two steps of my once a year process for my summer and winter wheels.

• Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner
  • Iron-X fallout remover (removes ingrained brake dust)
  • Any old polishing compound
  • Chemical Guys wheel sealer
I used to spend hours with a clay bar trying to shift the stubborn brake dust until I discovered Iron-X (which does the same job in minutes). It's quite expensive and stinks something awful though.

Last edited:

Subc

May 12, 2008
Scotland
Heres Iron X in action on a Audi I detailed last year it removes all metallic contaminants even from paint. The red colour is the reaction with the metal fallout.
feefb5eb-067b-4057-b418-394f823dad76_zps45f07fb0.jpg
[/URL][

AndyN

Feb 7, 2014
I have some. Got the iron off my wheels but no reaction on paint. Must be clean already :) does it strip sealant?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members