Bolt on mods, what to do.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Got a Cupra r that has had a stage one, forge dv and a go faster panel air filter (branded but for the life of me i can't remember the make).
On the shelf i have a genuine brand new air filter and Badger 5 oversize intake pipe.

I really dont want a cone filter on the car so what are my options?

Pipe, standard filter?
Pipe, go faster filter?
Either of the above with holes in the air box?

Happy to try and run extra ducting to the filter housing to try and keep the air cool to the filter housing.

But is there that much heat soak in that corner of the engine bay?
Bearing in mind crank case gasses (hot) already pass through the intake pipe and the cold side of the turbo isnt that cold when the engine is upto temp anyway?

Opinions please.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I'm not the biggest fan of cone filters either and would have much preferred to have retained the stock airbox if I could but the fact is they're really restrictive on these cars along with the stock which thankfully you've already planned to ditch.

That said if I was you and aren't aiming to go much higher than stage 1 map (I hate this stage crap!) then I'd stick a decent panel filter in the box with some larger air ducting up to the box and forget about that side of things.

The next main restriction on these engines is the downpipe.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Not planning on taking it to the tuners again for a stage 2. Just working with what i have.
Sorry, couldnt make it out. Are you saying use the stock panel filter or carry on with the washable one thats in there?
Im going to take the whole filter housing out and see what can be done to add a 2nd ducting into it. Want it hidden, purely for aesthetics.

Ive got to say that the standard air feed pipe to the filter housing looks quite restrictive even on a standard car.
Not sure how to figure it out but a 1.8 forced induction engine running at 3-4k rpm has gotta be gulping air at a fair old rate.

As for the exhaust, i put a non res cat back milltek system on recently.
Happy to look into downpipes but want to keep the cats or fit sports cats. But dont want de cat.
Again, i dont want it plugged in and have sensors switched off etc.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Not planning on taking it to the tuners again for a stage 2. Just working with what i have.
Sorry, couldnt make it out. Are you saying use the stock panel filter or carry on with the washable one thats in there?
Im going to take the whole filter housing out and see what can be done to add a 2nd ducting into it. Want it hidden, purely for aesthetics.

Ive got to say that the standard air feed pipe to the filter housing looks quite restrictive even on a standard car.
Not sure how to figure it out but a 1.8 forced induction engine running at 3-4k rpm has gotta be gulping air at a fair old rate.

Happy to look into downpipes but want to keep the cats or fit sports cats. But dont want de cat.

To save you looking, the airbox will probaby have a pathetic hole from the equally pathetic snorkel, i considered ducting air to it but that meant id have to start drilling and cutting away at the airbox. Didnt see the point as id be getting an intercooler upgrade at some point. I think any kind of mod you're planning on the airbox will require some hacking lol.

Also i think thai meant the stock 'tip' which is what you've planned to ditch.

As for exhausts, milltek offer a sportcat downpipe to match up to either the standard catback or the milltek one. But you're looking at 5-600 quid.
I personally bought an 80 quid decat pipe, decided it was too loud and stinky and got a 90 quid sport cat welded in.

anni25pd

Jul 23, 2012
glasgow/ayrshire

As Leon is based on golf, you can use the R32 front Air feed /snorkel much larger diameter to keep it looking oem, just widen up the aperture to airbox with a dremel. Stick decent panel filter in
Parts a very expensive for what they are (bits of plastic) but I may have them lying around

Reactions: Connor H

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
You say you have a badger tip on the shelf.
You’ll need to map the car to see gains from it mate. Otherwise it’s just a piece of silicone.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I would not be remapping it again to gain 1bhp for £500 for a custom map.

that is absolute nonsense

Reactions: Chaki

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I would not be remapping it again to gain 1bhp for £500 for a custom map.

that is absolute nonsense

Maybe mapper would look kindly on him if he turned up again with an extra add on attached. Give him another run for a drink.
It’s worth calling and asking.
See what difference it makes on same map. Then have options to tweak. Also didn’t know custom map on a mk1 was 500. Think mine was 350.
And a good tip can have a proper gain.
Check badgers website and GTI forum.
More than one horse.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Well, its fitted and also fitted a new oe air filter.
To be honest its not the best fit at the airflow meter end but its on.
Its as if its 1/2 inch shorter than the original.
I assume it was designed for cone filters only.
Going to address that issue tomorrow.
Can hear a slight difference from the engine bay. Could be more air flow or just a clean new filter lol.
Felt the same but was driving at 30(ish) all the way home.
Will take it out for a run at the weekend.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
20200618_131922.jpg

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
That new TIP looks awesome. Size difference is mental. They do all fit a little bit unique for sure, mine needed trimming and the DV moved to a less than ideal spot lol

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
I get my cars live mapped on rolling road. A from a complete fresh build engine and omex ecu. Took him 4 hours and it's 100 an hour . Can't see it taking 5 hours to remap for a tip

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
As i sead before, it wont be going to have a plug in unless the car gets a serious fault. The basic stuff i can do myself.
To be honest im also not expecting the car to change from just fitting this pipe.
Itll be breathing easier now and thats good enough.
It was mapped at AMD Essex by the previous owner with reciepts and print outs to prove etc....
Im definately not chasing figures.

Im a mechanic (believe it or not with all the questions lol) and have been for years. But doing my HGV test as soon as social distancing is over so i can lock my tool box for the last time.
Just doing bits to the car to save me paying someone else doing them for me at a later date. I dont like working curbside.
New clutch and decent front tyres on my shopping list also.

Rich

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.