boost leak at turbo

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
got a bit of a wierd one.

what would the turbo sound like if u had a boost leak from the turbo or pipe next to the turbo?

i actually turnt the music off today to take a call and after the call i could hear the engine. the turbo spoils up and i get the whistle but then when i plant it after its spoiled up i cant describe the noise i am hearing. its like an old 1988 first ever productong diesel engine sound. not smooth and silent liked id of expected but rough and bitty. (maybe clipping might be the right word to say it sounds like) am i just being a retard or do u think i might have something wrong

Smee

p.s how hard should u drive these cars and how often. i rag mine most days and i mean rag :S

Triple D

If you have a boost leak, it wont be very fast at all smee, it will sound like a hissing vibration sound, and quite possibly you will have excess soot coming out the back.I rag mine every day most days, change at above 3k most times, but have only ever had a boost leak when my second hybrid failed. Trust me, if you have a boost leak, its not quiet, and you will be thinking :wtf:

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
give it f minutes to warm up first then 5 mins easy driving at the end.

yea i let it warm up to mid and then wait 4 mins then i go nuts. (warm up i dont go over 2k rpm) i usually sit there on the spot for 3 mins when i get to my destiniation to make sure oil as cooled in the turbo.

but im not sure if it that i not heard the diesel in ages and im worrying over nothing or not

still getting 50 mpg ish and goes on to 140 (tho i was struggling to race a merc estate last night dunno what make cos it was sooo DIRTY)

Smee

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
If you have a boost leak, it wont be very fast at all smee, it will sound like a hissing vibration sound, and quite possibly you will have excess soot coming out the back.I rag mine every day most days, change at above 3k most times, but have only ever had a boost leak when my second hybrid failed. Trust me, if you have a boost leak, its not quiet, and you will be thinking :wtf:

i got vibration when the turbo in spoiled up and im planted from 3k to 4.5k

i can here it whistle up with the window down but not up

i dont think anything will show up on vag com.... tho it is in for a 20k service tomorrow so maybe it might come up with some. (maybe manifold gasket leak??)

i have never had sparks from my exhaust since the one time it done it and i came home from southend at warp speed most of the way (driving fast isnt big) dunno if this is a good thing or bad

Triple D

i got vibration when the turbo in spoiled up and im planted from 3k to 4.5k

i can here it whistle up with the window down but not up

i dont think anything will show up on vag com.... tho it is in for a 20k service tomorrow so maybe it might come up with some. (maybe manifold gasket leak??)

i have never had sparks from my exhaust since the one time it done it and i came home from southend at warp speed most of the way (driving fast isnt big) dunno if this is a good thing or bad

Sparks out the back is fine, i had it last night and showered a brand new 911 carrera 4s with em, along with a nice helping of soot at 140. :D

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
(warm up i dont go over 2k rpm) i usually sit there on the spot for 3 mins when i get to my destiniation to make sure oil as cooled in the turbo.
Whilst it's a good idea not to use high revs when cold, I think you're overdoing it by limiting yourself to 2000. And it's totally unnecessary to idle for 3 minutes - you're just wasting fuel and filling your turbo with soot, which will eventually make it jam. With a diesel, the exhaust gases are not hot enough to cause problems with oil cooking in the turbo after switching off - the turbo never gets as hot as it does with a petrol engine. By the time you've stopped and parked you can switch it off straight away.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
got a bit of a wierd one.

what would the turbo sound like if u had a boost leak from the turbo or pipe next to the turbo?

i actually turnt the music off today to take a call and after the call i could hear the engine. the turbo spoils up and i get the whistle but then when i plant it after its spoiled up i cant describe the noise i am hearing. its like an old 1988 first ever productong diesel engine sound. not smooth and silent liked id of expected but rough and bitty. (maybe clipping might be the right word to say it sounds like) am i just being a retard or do u think i might have something wrong

Smee

That's what mine sounded like a few weeks ago - until it got worse. Mine has a cracked exhaust manifold. See if you can smell exhaust fumes from the back of the engine on tickover.

PS - sorry, I just thought, yours IS a diesel. :hide:

Last edited:

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
With a diesel, the exhaust gases are not hot enough to cause problems with oil cooking in the turbo after switching off - the turbo never gets as hot as it does with a petrol engine. By the time you've stopped and parked you can switch it off straight away.

My exhaust was red hot after a few laps of snetterton on Sat! But normal day to day driving, I would agree with you, the last half mile I dont tend to rag it.

It didnt feel to bad when I drove it on Sat mate, didnt quite have the initial kick that mine has, but didnt really smoke or feel funny. In fact it felt ALOT tighter! Could of been somthing to do with having half of Dixons in the back ;)
If in doubt, mention it when it goes in for a service. Although it gives them a reason to test drive it.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
my car is in the stealers at the mo as the the exhaust gasket has gone it made a horrible screaching blowing noise when turbo spins up started off so quiet i gathered it was the sound that the car just made then one day it blew and was lumpy and loud and when i lifted the bonnet could smell exhaust fumes like dpj said

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members