boost or fuel problems

gazb1409

hi i was wondering if anybody could please help me as my leon tdi 150 started to play up today when accelerating the boost seems to get on an off as if limp mode for a few seconds or so or as if it is starving itself of diesel could this problem be the maf sensor any help would be very much appreciated

many thanks

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
hi i was wondering if anybody could please help me as my leon tdi 150 started to play up today when accelerating the boost seems to get on an off as if limp mode for a few seconds or so or as if it is starving itself of diesel could this problem be the maf sensor any help would be very much appreciated

many thanks
Look at the air mass meter first
Glynn

gazb1409

i was told to unplug the maf to see if that made a differance and it did'nt so i was told to try the map sensor is this common and is it a easy job to do

gazb1409

there was no differance at all so does anybody know if the other tdi's have same maf e.g the 90, 110,130's thanks

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
ETKA quotes a numer of air mass meters depending on engine code (in the right most column) :-

airmass.jpg

I don't know which one you'd use though. Your engine will be an ARL but there is more than one part number for it.

gazb1409

so would you say it was the maf it does get boost till engine gets warm if thats any help at all the maf sensor is 80 pound plus vat and i really dont want to replace it if its not that. i had car put on vagcom and 1 of the codes said it was map sensor i spoke to seat and they said my car does'nt have a map sensor. if this is any help. thanks

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Of course your car has a MAP sensor, manifold air pressure is key parameter for the ECU. It is combined with the manifold temperature sensor, and is fitted to the ducting between the intercooler outlet and the EGR valve and cylinder head inlet manifold.

gazb1409

seat said it as 2 pressure regulatiors on it they say it does not have a map sensor now i'm really confused

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Got to laugh at the seat idiots:headhurt: as the cupra tdi does have a map sensor, I have renewed mine twice in 70k its located in the boost pipe at the front of the engine. Remove the engine cover to get to it.
Glynn

d_cook88

zιℓ∂נιαη - ρℓαу ωιтн ƒιяє
Aug 28, 2007
Preston
Hey, sorry for thread stealing here but this topic may be related to what i may have a problem with...
Was coming home last night, was in 3rd put my foot down at just over 2500revs and it went up to about 3500, when i let off it drops for a split second, then holds for a second before dropping again, so i tried this in differnt gears and at differnt rev amounts and it did it all the time, is this normall or a fault? Cheers, Dave

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus

many thanks

i had this similar problem...
mine wouldnt boost properly (mostly within the first 5mins of starting & sometimes when fully warm). did feel like there was no diesel/boost for a few seconds.

took it to seat, they couldnt find anything but noticed the fuel filter had not been changed at last service.

never had a problem since!

d_cook88

zιℓ∂נιαη - ρℓαу ωιтн ƒιяє
Aug 28, 2007
Preston
Hmm iv only just had a service, i always buy the bits my self and a friend fits them for me, i was wondering if it could be an overfueling problem....its like there is excess fuel when i let the pedal go that holds the revvs there just for a second untill its burnt and starts to drop? Well thats my guess anyway....

gazb1409

had car put on vagcom got codes 17564 and 17552 looked then up on here but it makes no sence to me so if anybody could help with how to fix these problems would really appreciate it and thanks guys i will have a look see if i can locate the map sensor. oh by the way according to seat stealer no diesel as a map sensor do they know anything

Last edited by a moderator:

gazb1409

just been bk to seat and told the senser on the front boost pipes is called a thrust sensor and that my fault codes dont exist so i laughted at him and told him my car is a consistant lier so does any1 know if my cars symptons do add up to this so called thrust sensor thanks

gazb1409

thanks to all of you who suggested map sensor ( so called thrust sensor ) changed it and well boost back yay so thanks again you guys i owe ya one

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Thrust sensor? That's a new one. I suggest you find another dealer or a trustworthy independent, sounds like your local Seat dealer is run by Thunderbirds puppets !

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I'm completely with sssstew on this one.

Put it this way....if you had a guy round to service your gas boiler and he didn't know what the component parts were, would you let him at it ?

Find someone who knows what they are doing mate! (ETKA simply lists it as "pressure sensor" and lists nothing for "thrust sensor")