Boot Struts

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Just found this thread and definitely want to do this mod but when I've clicked through to the link, they are listed as Skoda struts and the compatibility checker says they aren't compatible with the Cupra. Am I being dim or is this what you all bought?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 98136

Just found this thread and definitely want to do this mod but when I've clicked through to the link, they are listed as Skoda struts and the compatibility checker says they aren't compatible with the Cupra. Am I being dim or is this what you all bought?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes they are the correct ones as per post #100.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I'm still interested to find out if anyone has tried just one 'upgraded' strut and one regular one?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I'm still interested to find out if anyone has tried just one 'upgraded' strut and one regular one?

I did when I fitted them to previous Mk3. ( Basically I went for a brew halfway through :D ) whilst , with one fitted, the boot would move slightly, there appeared not to be enough 'oomph' to get it moving fully. Giving it a small amount of assistance it would lift by itself once you got it around 5" up iirc. Not that dissimilar to the standard struts tbh. I think it's the extra, initial 'kick' required that means the more powerful struts are needed. Once it's past a certain point then standard struts would suffice.
I seem to recall that the kit for the Mk2 included some 'boot poppers' which replaced the standard fit rubbers which gave that initial extra lift, but I think that still required more powerful struts.

GTI-Pirelli

May 29, 2015
Allesley

I tried this when I was taking them off of my Cupra SC. It just made the boot a little easier to open but no way would it open via the remote.
Even if it had worked I wouldn't leave it like that. I cant imagine that the force imbalance would do the boot lid or the hinges any good as it would twist the boot lid as it opens and closes.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I just ordered these, the ones from post £100 on the 12 Feb and turned up yesterday 16 Feb.
Much faster than I was expecting from Europe.

Took 2 minutes to fit and work much better and boot can open from the fob now although it is slightly harder to close when at the last few inches but nothing major.

My originals were already getting lazy after 3 years and they made some annoying squeaking sounds after rain/washing the car.

The new struts are also ever so slightly longer so would not recomend using just one new with one of the original struts.

Well worth £28 :)

liam007

Feb 14, 2017
Hi guys,

total newbie here, I'm picking up my facelift mk3 ST early next month :)
I was just wondering if these were suitable for the ST, I like the sound of the boot opening from the key fob.

Cheers
Liam

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Done mine today, works well, a bit harder to close but will get used to it.
Just one thing, they seem to be a bit loose where they join with the boot lid, thought they didnt get in fully but they did so perhaps thats normal?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
How do you fit them?

spring clip on each end, just slide it open with a small screwdriver then pull strut off ball joint. Just make sure you have someone holding the tailgate, as one strut won't hold it up...
And don't ping the clip off altogether as its A. A bitch to find and B. A right pita to get back on again...

knappers

Mar 10, 2017
Received my new struts from Germany this morning.
Fitting them took literally two minutes for both sides. I used an extending prop to hold the tailgate up at the right height. Fitted them inverted so the angled / canted end would stay at the same end as before.
Seems to work brilliantly, not especially harder to close, either.
Thanks guys - wonderful mod. Really missed it as I have electric pop / close on my XC70 - shame we can't close at the touch of a button too...

Si.

Smithcd

Apr 8, 2017
Great mod. Just fitted it to my ecomotive today. Nice and easy. I wish I knew about this mod when I had my polo in 2013, the boot pop was such a confusing concept for me back then as to why bother???

st.tony

Dec 9, 2014
Mine should be here within the hour, £25 all in was worth a shot in my book, even if I'm not happy with the outcome it's no big deal

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Love this mod, would say be very careful closing the boot as it will take more physical force to do so, don't do what I did and put that force in the centre as you'll end up with a palm print dent, oops.

Make sure you close with both hands above the tail lights where the body is much firmer

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.