Boot Struts

MidnightBlack245

Oct 4, 2020
Just ordered myself some of the upgraded boot struts (to open the boot from the key). Are they simple enough to replace?

Attachments

• 8D91F121-21FA-4C13-A43C-66B0E7A4F84E.png
    8D91F121-21FA-4C13-A43C-66B0E7A4F84E.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 244

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
By heavier @jiraffe means more resistance to close.

The replacement gas-spring struts generate more force than OEM original struts thus enabling boot to open unaided as they store more potential energy when compressed. It’s basic physics that more effort is therefore required to close the boot with the upgraded struts.

If this is a problem for you, then leave them as stock so they act to reduce the effort required to open.

Another thing to consider is opening the boot in an underground car park or garage, as the up-rated struts will open the boot lid with more force, and therefore will cause more damage if the boot hits a ventilation duct, support pillar/beam or up and over garage door.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Another thing to consider is opening the boot in an underground car park or garage, as the up-rated struts will open the boot lid with more force, and therefore will cause more damage if the boot hits a ventilation duct, support pillar/beam or up and over garage door.

This is what would put me off fitting these replacement gas spring struts.

Reactions: MidnightBlack245

jiraffe

Dec 6, 2020
kent
[/QUOTE]
By heavier @jiraffe means more resistance to close.

The replacement gas-spring struts generate more force than OEM original struts thus enabling boot to open unaided as they store more potential energy when compressed. It’s basic physics that more effort is therefore required to close the boot with the upgraded struts.

If this is a problem for you, then leave them as stock so they act to reduce the effort required to open.

wouldnt be a problem for me, just thought id make people aware :)

Reactions: MidnightBlack245

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
The thing with the struts is (sorry cannot think of the name) but they are the oppisite to progressive, when the boot unlatches
thats where the most pressure is, but as it rises it reduces its presure, but is enough to hold it up, so it is no diffrent to a standard pair so the argument of hitting a low roof is no diffrent to the normal ones, and as for "heaver" when the boot is
pulled down at the start its no diffrent, but as it gets down just before it latches it is a bit harder but by that time you have the momentum and it closes ok, I had them on the Hatch but would like them on the ST

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020
The thing with the struts is (sorry cannot think of the name) but they are the oppisite to progressive, when the boot unlatches
thats where the most pressure is, but as it rises it reduces its presure, but is enough to hold it up, so it is no diffrent to a standard pair so the argument of hitting a low roof is no diffrent to the normal ones, and as for "heaver" when the boot is
pulled down at the start its no diffrent, but as it gets down just before it latches it is a bit harder but by that time you have the momentum and it closes ok, I had them on the Hatch but like them on the ST

Can you tell me what the make and product number you have fitted to your ST please? Done much searching and can't seem to find a definitive answer cheers in advance

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Can you tell me what the make and product number you have fitted to your ST please? Done much searching and can't seem to find a definitive answer cheers in advance
Sorry, I missed a word out of my coment, but have not found any for the ST, although I did aproch a UK company but they would not guarantee that they would work and I did not want to chance it

Sep 28, 2020
All I can find is the ones from Poland on eBay with springs to push it up. Spent ages searching but sort of given up now although the original ones are creaky now it’s cold so the search continues as it annoys me every time I open the boot now

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
All I can find is the ones from Poland on eBay with springs to push it up. Spent ages searching but sort of given up now although the original ones are creaky now it’s cold so the search continues as it annoys me every time I open the boot now
Yes also have seen them but don't fancy paying the carrage from there and also don't like the idea of the springs, did not
have them on the Hatch version

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004

Have you tried wiping the strut with WD-40 on a cloth?

Sep 28, 2020
Yes also have seen them but don't fancy paying the carrage from there and also don't like the idea of the springs, did not
have them on the Hatch version
Can’t get them posted anyway at the minute I wanted a sensor from Germany but the seller told me they can’t post to uk at the minute due to covid restrictions

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.