Boot struts

Nov 17, 2022
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea why sort of boot struts the manual tailgate uses? I’ve searched all over Google to try and find an answer to no gain. I’m wanting to upgrade them so that I can open the tailgate by holding the key button. I’ve tried typing the part number in as well and no where gives any answers or matches.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Do you mean you want stronger ones so its flips itself open on unlocking, or you want an electric opening tailgate?

Not that I know the answer!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Be aware with stronger tailgate struts it’ll take more force to close the tailgate because of the increased gas pressure in the struts and that might be an issue in certain situations (e.g. short people having to reach the tailgate when open and pull it downwards against the gas pressure of the struts).

Also, have a read of posts #6 and #7 in the discussion thread at the link below;
  • risk of damage to the tailgate when it opens quickly in height restricted areas (e.g. in a garage or multi storey car park with overhead concrete roof supports).
  • risk of damage to the tailgate mounting points caused by the increased gas pressure of the struts that the tailgate and strut mounting points weren’t designed to be subjected to.

Last edited:

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
The only experience I have with gas struts is on my bed.
It was getting quiet heavy to lift open so I got some uprated struts. Opened lovely but I couldn't shut the frigging thing! 😂

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The only experience I have with gas struts is on my bed.
It was getting quiet heavy to lift open so I got some uprated struts. Opened lovely but I couldn't shut the frigging thing! 😂
And I think that illustrates the potential issue of fitting updated struts to the Formentor’s tailgate - makes opening it easier but it might be quite difficult to close.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
I wonder if updating only one would offer a compromise? Enough grunt to open, no5 so much resistance to close.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I wonder if updating only one would offer a compromise? Enough grunt to open, no5 so much resistance to close.
I’m can remember reading (tried finding where I read it but failed miserably!) that these gas struts should always be replaced in pairs - i.e. two struts of the same type and strength/pressure. If not, then apparently there’s a risk of the tailgate twisting or distorting over time as a result of the each strut operating at a different pressure when pushing the tailgate open.

May 23, 2023
Hi, was just reading your post about formentor boot struts, did you find out what ones fit and maybe can link to them at all?

Or anyone got the sizes that are needed?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.