Probs been asked loads but......auto trunk pop mod

Morganator

Jul 10, 2020
Hi all im new to the Leon scene and really loving mine atm. Ive done my best to research here the auto trunk lift mod but there is a lot of trial and error threads about it and just looking for a complete solution that works.

Currently my 2012 1.6tdi ecomotive 1P has the factory trunk lock pop unlocked when hard pressing the remote but it just unlocks it, id like it to auto lift on button press. Some threads suggest using skoda Octavia gas struts, some say dont, some say they use springs etc but it doesn't seem to be a complete kit or actual tried and tested parts.

Has anyone done it sucessfully and if so please could you share how, what parts and install instructions.

video for example:

"
"

Thanks all

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
Hi all im new to the Leon scene and really loving mine atm. Ive done my best to research here the auto trunk lift mod but there is a lot of trial and error threads about it and just looking for a complete solution that works.

Currently my 2012 1.6tdi ecomotive 1P has the factory trunk lock pop unlocked when hard pressing the remote but it just unlocks it, id like it to auto lift on button press. Some threads suggest using skoda Octavia gas struts, some say dont, some say they use springs etc but it doesn't seem to be a complete kit or actual tried and tested parts.

Has anyone done it sucessfully and if so please could you share how, what parts and install instructions.

video for example:

"
"

Thanks all
I used the scirocco spring bump stops and the MK1 Octavia boot struts. This in my car/youtue video. Only works if used often, if left for a week or so the first time you open the boot you need to give it a helping hand. Or and your wife/girlfriend wont be able to shut it.

Morganator

Jul 10, 2020
I used the scirocco spring bump stops and the MK1 Octavia boot struts. This in my car/youtue video. Only works if used often, if left for a week or so the first time you open the boot you need to give it a helping hand. Or and your wife/girlfriend wont be able to shut it.

Fantastic thanks for the great info and speedy response. Yeah luckley ill be using my boot regularly. im guessing the issue is if the struts dont get regular use then they seize? so when used normally is it tough to close the boot lid due to the gas strut pressure? Also did you have to do any unlocking or coding after installing the struts?

Thanks

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
No coding, mines a facelift the the boot unlocks and releases if you hold the boot button. Once released the spring bumpers and struts do their thing. I think the struts don't like being static, once opened once they come back to life. Yes harder to close due to strut pressure.

Ordered both parts from eBay, just checked and both listings are unfortunately gone. Search on here as this is where I would of got the part numbers. Was about £30 for both

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
You have to remember the Leon was never designed to have these and was therefore never designed to have the force put through the struts to the body mountings that are needed to push the boot lit closed again with the much stronger struts.

I'm sure I read a post on here a few years back from someone who did this mod ages ago saying that over the course of several years the extra force put through the body mountings had started to cause damage to the tailgate its self and the body mounting points.

Reactions: Morganator

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Snapped the mount of my tailgate with this mount, luckily I got the tailgate swapped under warranty.

In addition to potentially damaging your tailgate by closing it, it makes the tailgate heavy to close, you can accidentally open it where you wouldn't want to i.e. in a multi-storey carpark with a low roof and it only worked when it wanted to.

I think finding a motorised solution would be a better goal.

Reactions: Morganator

Morganator

Jul 10, 2020
Ahh really! such a shame it causes those problems as it would be such a practical mod to do. Would there be no way of reinforcing the mounts to support the extra pressures put on them?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.