Booty building ;)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Hiya everyone. After fitting my spacers, my back end was scraping when I took passengers in the back so I thought THATS IT, time to strip the rear, lol. But because I knew Id miss my sound system too much I had to think of a compromise. And this is. Hopefully this thread will show you some of my progress on my boot build. Its nothing special, minimal materials are used so its still lighter then when it used to have seats, and i'm not into the whole fiberglass crap. so here are the photos. Enjoy, ask questions, comment and criticize ;)

DAY 1

Firstly I got rid of the parcel shelf, rear seats and hid the seat belt clip things:

IMG_1357.jpg

Then I got rid of the spare wheel (OMG that thing weighs a ton!!), jack and other crap that was in my spare wheel well. Also took out the carpet.

IMG_1358.jpg

Because I wanted a completely flat floor, I had to angle grind off a bracket on both sides. so that I could lay the wood flat:

IMG_1363.jpg

Then I was off to B&Q to buy some wood. Once I had the wood, I made a frame for the spare wheel well. This is how the frame looks like:

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

DAY 2

Using the original carpet as a template, I sketched out the outline of the boot onto the piece of mdf. And cut the 12" hole in it for my sub. Here is one of the panel:

IMG_1364.jpg

And one with the sub fitted:

IMG_1366.jpg

With that now done, I had to think of a good place to mount the Amp. Originally I was just going to have it sitting on the floor under the passengers seat, but then I've decided I might as well show it off as well. So I cut and folded back some of the carpet above the rear seats, and placed the apm there:

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Last edited:

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
With the amp in place I had to make an outline of the rear seat space using some tracing paper (absolute nightmare), so that I could get the cut out outline the right size. Here is the left and right section:

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

And this is how it all looks at the moment. Still need to think of a way of holding it all together. Then all I have to do is put some cloth over it and jobs a goodun.

01.jpg

Mig

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
looks nice mig, well done. its a good idea if u dont use ur back seats ....theres hardly any space for anyone to sit in the back anyway lol, has the rubbing stopped or still the same?

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
looks nice mig, well done. its a good idea if u dont use ur back seats ....theres hardly any space for anyone to sit in the back anyway lol, has the rubbing stopped or still the same?

No, it never rubbed. Its just when I said I'd give my peeps a lift somewhere, and because they are so fat we didn't even make it down the road. When its just me in the car and one more person with a weight of no more then 14 stone, then there is no rubbing at all. From when I have stripped the rear, the back is now higher then the front (usually I have it set to being 20mm lower the the front. ) So once my boot install is finished, I will have to wind down my coilovers a little more.

Mig

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
NOoooooooooooooooooooooo i thought you were stripping it for uber race spec, not pimp my ride... you seriously need some brown bread to insulate that boot well below the sub, also do the tailgate - it makes a huge difference!

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Mig,

1 suggestion.... you may want to make the sub enclosure a little smaller, and seal it to.... just an MDF 'box' sat in the wheel well should do it.... you could screw it to the bottom of the false floor where you've mounted the sub.....

Will give you far better performance from the sub ;)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
NOoooooooooooooooooooooo i thought you were stripping it for uber race spec, not pimp my ride... you seriously need some brown bread to insulate that boot well below the sub, also do the tailgate - it makes a huge difference!

I know, I'm a bad bad man, its just that I'd miss the sub soooo much :cry: . You see I've sold it a month ago thinking I can live without it...........and 2 days later I came crawling back on my knees, searching ebay for another sub :lol: As for the brown bread, I see what I can do. If not then I might have to insulate it with some old rags. You see I dont even play my music that loud (hate people that do that), but I do like to hear the bass :funk:

Mig,

1 suggestion.... you may want to make the sub enclosure a little smaller, and seal it to.... just an MDF 'box' sat in the wheel well should do it.... you could screw it to the bottom of the false floor where you've mounted the sub.....

Will give you far better performance from the sub ;)

Yeah I might have to make up a box around the inside perimeter of my "frame" that I made.

Hope your gonna tint the windows! Couldn't leave that sat around on full view! lol

Loosk good matey!

Mike

Well as you can see the rear windows are tinted enough and the car is garaged overnight (the next 3 months anyway) Hopefully I will make some kinda cover for the amp when I dont want it to be on display. And if not then I'll just chuck a hoody over it and as its flush with the floor, it shouldn't look like that there is anything bulging underneath.
07.jpg

Keep the ideas and comments comming peeps.

Mig

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Mig,

Just out of curiousity what shade of tint do you have on your back windows??

Also how much did u have to cut out of the rear bumper to get the exhaust to sit the way it is?? Those tailpipes are similar to the ones on the exhaust im considering and im just wondering.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Mig,

Just out of curiousity what shade of tint do you have on your back windows??

Also how much did u have to cut out of the rear bumper to get the exhaust to sit the way it is?? Those tailpipes are similar to the ones on the exhaust im considering and im just wondering.

Its limo black on the back windscreen, medium on the rears and nothing on the front ones as they are illegal and I'm not up for extra hassle from the police.

As for the exhaust, its a standard mk3 Ibiza cupra item, and the rear apron only had to be trimmed by about 10mm.

p.s Little more progress on the boot today pics to follow shortly.

Mig

Mckellar

can i ask - is it not illegal to NOT have a spare wheel in the car? ie:may fail MOT

im not sure if thats crap or not.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
DAY 3

OK, I've had a bit of a lazy day today as I didnt get my ass into gear until 11am and then I had to go to work at 2pm, so not really much of an update. Basically some of you mentioned something about making a smaller enclosed space for the subwoofer as the whole of the boot well area might be too damn big. So I've decided to make a sub box around the inside perimeter of the wooden frame. But of course there had to be a complication, so in my case it was the fact that the actual wheel well isn't center in the boot, therefore I couldn't make my box an actual box. The photo below should explain what I mean, as you can see in the top left of the "frame", the wheel well goes up.......... meaning that my box will have to do the same:

IMG_1401.jpg

The back panel and right panel were easy enough to make:

IMG_1400.jpg

but the left side was a little more complex:

IMG_1399.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I will make the front panel and the "floor" to the "box". Fingers crossed it will work.

Here is another photo of the install from a slightly different angle [B)]

IMG_1373.jpg

Mig

Last edited:

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
wanna do mine mig? just a completely flat floor? just where your amp is i wanna put some 6x9s there

make another template mate, you could make some money out of making false floors

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.