Bora Tdi Mod advise

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
OK, first I said no mods! Now ... I am thinking again! I want to remap the car but the first thing that needs to be sorted out if I go down that route is the very vague and floaty handling of the car.

When I had my LC, I was looking at Koni/Eibach set-up, which would lower the car by 35mm. Can I get this for a Bora? My car has the "sport" lower suspension from VW - what a pile of sh!t! There is excessive roll and I have no confidence in taking corners quick.

Remapping - Ideally, I would want a new map the increased the BHP of the car, whithout hiking the torque too much - just a bit more. Heard of slipping clutches etc and I don't reallt want that. Is it possible to get more power with only a modest rise in torque?

Thanks!

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Suspension - Well, I recommend having a look at anti-roll bars if you want to reduce the amount of roll. Rear one will decrease the amount of understeer & a thicker front one will tighten things up.
I have Eibach springs & dampers on the vRS & they are very good. Not too stiff, but give good control. Drop is around 25mm, which is just right for me.

Remap - There are some less agressive maps available. People like Custom Code or Forge Motorsport have maps that will "save" your clutch.

prc

Sooty Meister
the rear neuspeed arb is around £190...:blink:
I think both H&R and Eibach also make arb kits (and cheaper). I'd think about the suspension (shocks/springs) before the arb. As stew mentions, I'd also get the lower S3 strut brace. Cost around £15, but the difference is awesome.

JBS Sales

Kam said:
OK, first I said no mods! Now ... I am thinking again! I want to remap the car but the first thing that needs to be sorted out if I go down that route is the very vague and floaty handling of the car.

When I had my LC, I was looking at Koni/Eibach set-up, which would lower the car by 35mm. Can I get this for a Bora? My car has the "sport" lower suspension from VW - what a pile of sh!t! There is excessive roll and I have no confidence in taking corners quick.

Remapping - Ideally, I would want a new map the increased the BHP of the car, whithout hiking the torque too much - just a bit more. Heard of slipping clutches etc and I don't reallt want that. Is it possible to get more power with only a modest rise in torque?

Thanks!
Hi
You will find that the whole of the VAG group share floor pans anyway.
They also share engines too.
I think that the Eibach and Koni set up is the best out there for all VAG cars.
This will lower it slightly so aid with the suspension.
Custom-Code would be a good remap too.
We have done alot of work on the TDi engines and have come to find some supeb maps.
www.custom-code.co.uk is their web site.
I am always here to help too if you need it.
01246 455005 is my number
Thank you
Sarah

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I wouldn't bother lowering it to be honest, just fit uprated Gas dampers and it won't even affect your insurance. The lowering will almost definately put a bit of crashiness into the suspension even if it improves it in other areas. The crux of the matter is the type of roads you drive on really. I have used quality gas dampers to good effect, it cuts out a lot of suspension squat under acceleration, cuts nose dive under braking and reduces suspension roll too and with very little compromise to ride quality. I fitted Koni suspension (from JBS!) to my last Golf GTI and wished afterwards I just fitted the top adjustable shocks on their own as they gave the desired improvements on their own and the springs just made the ride a bit harsh around town and on bumpy back roads. I still have the suspension sat in the garage but alas I don't know whether it would suit the Bora, I think it is for Golf and Leon only.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Thanks Paulo, I was aware it would probably physically fit, I just wondered whether the rear shocks and springs might have very slightly different pressures for the Bora/Tolly/Octy as opposed to the Golf/ Leon which has a bit less weight capacity at the 4rse end.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
:worship: Thanks, info will come in useful when I eventually get round to advertising them, just too darn cold to go down to the garage and photograph them at the moment!!!

Moving swiftly back on topic......:redface: