Braided hoses..

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
well ive been looking for braided hoses.. obviously went straight to goodridge.. being 6 flexihoses they seem to be a little more expensive than if there was 4. i seem to be finding sets from between £70-£90. Now there is a place near me that makes them up for you on demand, the boss got his race car done for £7 per hose and they were fairly long on the front...

so im hoping to get a set £45-£55 i definatly intend on gettin some for my ibiza 97 16v and will let you all know how it goes, but as an intial "feeler" would anybody be intrested in a set if i can put forward numbers they mite be able to do them cheaper i :shrug: dunno

Worth a thought? P.s dont know if 8v Gti / 1.8 16v/ Tdi / have the same fitment?

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
they are a metal, rather than a rubber. they dont expand with pressure like rubber, hence the pedal feels alot better. they dont let water in like rubber does which is a good thing. and they are probably more heat resistant than rubber? alot of people who track day their car will run them as a must.

by the way we are talking about braided brake hoses.

f1nn

Aug 20, 2006
I would definately be interested, as I'm giving my brakes a once over shortly.

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
they are a metal, rather than a rubber. they dont expand with pressure like rubber, hence the pedal feels alot better. they dont let water in like rubber does which is a good thing. and they are probably more heat resistant than rubber? alot of people who track day their car will run them as a must.

by the way we are talking about braided brake hoses.

At the expense of sounding thick, what happens when the hoses expand? Does it make the brakes feel 'spongy'?

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
i have thewm on the front but would love them for the back as i think that the pressure from the front is being sent to the back to bulge away!

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
well seeing as theres a few people ill enquire, not quite sure when im going to be able to go down as im working this weekend. ill also try and find out if th 8v gti and TDi's are the same fitment.... Dont know if cordoba fitment will be the same? Waits for a cordoba person ....

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
sound. i bought 20vt callipers for my 8v gti but then sold the car... but now i realise they are the same as my 16v ones..
So they fit both the 8v and 16v Gti mk2's, Cordoba 8v + 16v and the mk3 20vt . ill have to go ask them when ive got some definate prices the more the merrier.

Robsparky

Apr 17, 2007
Braided hoses are over the top on standard calipers, having using them before on severals cars, make no diffenerence in pedal feel what so ever.

It also depends on what 'dot' brake fluid you use, as dot 5 can produce a higher pressure than dot 4, but can damage seals in normal calipers.

only worth doing if you have 4/6 pot upgraded brakes in my opinion

Pads are what make the difference, mintex 1144/1155 ds2500/ds3000 etc. make the world of difference

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Braided hoses are over the top on standard calipers, having using them before on severals cars, make no diffenerence in pedal feel what so ever.

It also depends on what 'dot' brake fluid you use, as dot 5 can produce a higher pressure than dot 4, but can damage seals in normal calipers.

only worth doing if you have 4/6 pot upgraded brakes in my opinion

Pads are what make the difference, mintex 1144/1155 ds2500/ds3000 etc. make the world of difference

I thought the rubber hoses are the weakest link in the system - Expanding/buldging can't be advantagous!

edc

Blue Leather & Shiny Bits
Feb 8, 2002
Surrey
www.clairecoileytrust.com
TBH - I have them on mine and on the road you can't really tell the difference. Sure if the hoses are already knackered then of course they are worth replacing. The only reason I changed them was due to simple maintenance whislt doing brake fluid and brake check.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
Disagree, ive had them.. friends have had them ect, and the pedal feels so much better. OTT is sticking drilled and grooved discs on standard set up, then sticking some pads that are crap when cold, thats pointless to me.

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Disagree, ive had them.. friends have had them ect, and the pedal feels so much better. OTT is sticking drilled and grooved discs on standard set up, then sticking some pads that are crap when cold, thats pointless to me.

Ive got zimmerman grooved/drilled (not sure which but the disks have holes in them) and Ebc green stuff brake pads and stopping power is awsome.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members