Brake Disks + Pads - What am I looking for?

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
AA37A300-A469-4895-9BCD-EE664FDB1932.png

AutoDoc have good discounts on at the minute. Put your car details in and it’ll pull up suitable parts. Euro car parts can also help you find the right parts.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Unless you track your car, you may as well replace with oem pads and discs, Go on the listers thread Andrew will sort you out

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Autodoc can be good on price, however the delivery charge sometimes means Eurocarparts are better value?

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I would always suggest oem parts or higher quality.

Would avoid cheap parts for the sake of it, brakes are important. Even if you get seat or uprated brakes and get a non main dealer to fit them, your better off

Reactions: Jay5959

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I reckon im in need of new disks and pads all round, what disks and pads do you all recommend?
Are you sure you need front AND rear? have you measured them?
There is either OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) - OES (Original Equipment Service), or Aftermarket.
OEM are the original brakes the cars were made with
OES are aftermarket brakes sold by the OEM
Aftermarket are reverse engineered/'copied' from the OEM - or sometimes worse, copied from other aftermarket products.
Don't believe ANY aftermarket brand saying 'OE Equivalent' this is just marketing BS.

For road use the best will be OEM - but these will generally (not always!) be most expensive.
OES are generally reasonable - but this depends on who the VM is - some are just aftermarket pads with a VM sticker.
Aftermarket pads are a real mixed bag - some are awful, and use 1x friction material to cover 1500 different parts from a mini to a RangeRover! some are very good and perform better than the OEM. Even with the best aftermarket brakes is the problem is they still can't test every part the way the OEM would develop a brake.
Discs are more of a commodity, pick a High Carbon disc, and any disc which has R90 should be machined to a reasonable standard.

Don't believe big name brands - are the same as the Original Equipment parts for a cheaper price - they are NOT. They are still aftermarket, usually with a brand sales agreement, and probably priced higher of the back of the 'big name'

If the price is similar then no question - get OEM discs and pads.
If there is a reasonable saving - do your research which is best for your particular car.
Even the best brake parts can be noisy/judder etc.. if fitted incorrectly - most important is the thoroughly clean the hub and then clean it some more and measure disc installed run-out - and make sure then pads/pins/pistons are free/NOT seized/stiff.

Reactions: gaza1994

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I've just replaced my rear discs and pads with TRW ones from Autodoc, which are pretty much OEM, and front brakes with Brembo Xtra drilled discs and Xtra pads (also from Autodoc). The Brembos are awesome and look great but I have to wash my wheels every weekend because they're filthier than a coke fuelled lady of the night at a dogging orgy :oops: .

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I've just replaced my rear discs and pads with TRW ones from Autodoc, which are pretty much OEM, and front brakes with Brembo Xtra drilled discs and Xtra pads (also from Autodoc). The Brembos are awesome and look great but I have to wash my wheels every weekend because they're filthier than a coke fuelled lady of the night at a dogging orgy :oops: .
I'm afraid TRW and Brembo pads are not even remotely OEM.
Discs again are aftermarket.
TRW are made in Spain by a well known aftermarket producer.
Brembo again aftermarket.
But - if they work for you then great.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
TRW make the discs and pads for a lot of car makers. My 'OEM' original brakes were TRW and I know they supply Nissan as well. As for checking run out? Just no. Maybe if I owned a Lambo or a Bugatti Veyron but definitely not as a home DIYer, just not necessary.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
TRW make the discs and pads for a lot of car makers. My 'OEM' original brakes were TRW and I know they supply Nissan as well. As for checking run out? Just no. Maybe if I owned a Lambo or a Bugatti Veyron but definitely not as a home DIYer, just not necessary.
TRW were the brake system manufacture for your/our car, they made the calipers and maybe other brake components but not the OEM pads
TRW brake pads/discs are aftermarket.
the OEM pads for our car are actually made by Jurid.

If you don't check the disc runout you may be ok - you may not! You won't know!
Discs are machined to less than 50 microns runout and less than 15 microns thickness variation. Very high tolerances.
If you install your nice new discs and they are running out 'slightly' you won't notice straight away - only after a few hundred/thousand miles where the disc rubs the pad (think of a wonky bicycle wheel) the disc will be worn thin at this place - this causes disc thickness variation and brake judder.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.