Brake Lights Are Staying ON - HELP!

Mistert

Apr 1, 2015
Seat Leon 1.9TDi '54 plate.

I'm having intermittent problems with my brake lights staying on. Think it's the switch under the brake pedal. Thought I'd cured it with a bit of WD40 but it's back!!
HOWEVER - what's worse is that it has drained my battery FLAT. But when I try to charge the battery of course the lights come back on - aggh! So I have removed the bulbs from the left & right rear brake lights - BUT I have an overhead break light at the top of the boot. I don't know how to disconnect this one so that I can charge the battery & then take the car in to my garage.

Any help most appreciated.

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
You could remove the fuse for the brake lights. Then you can charge the battery. And the brake pedal switch needs to be replaced otherwise you'll be back to the trouble. You aren't driving it like that are you?o_O

Mistert

Apr 1, 2015
You could remove the fuse for the brake lights. Then you can charge the battery. And the brake pedal switch needs to be replaced otherwise you'll be back to the trouble. You aren't driving it like that are you?o_O
Good plan! If I can get the battery charged & start the car I'd have to replace the fuse before taking it to the garage to get a new switch fitted! Alternatively get a mobile repair guy to visit.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Good plan! If I can get the battery charged & start the car I'd have to replace the fuse before taking it to the garage to get a new switch fitted! Alternatively get a mobile repair guy to visit.

Take it to a garage? Why would you do that?

It was one of the first jobs I did on my car and it's nowhere near as difficult as you'd think. A little awkward, but not really worth paying someone else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mistert

Apr 1, 2015
Take it to a garage? Why would you do that?

It was one of the first jobs I did on my car and it's nowhere near as difficult as you'd think. A little awkward, but not really worth paying someone else to do.

Problem is I'm 72 with a bad back!

Mistert

Apr 1, 2015
Can’t you remove the battery to charge it then put it back in ??

Think it may be easier to remove the fuse for the brake lights. So I'm going to give that a go. But thanks anyway.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Im 46 with an ok back. If you are near Bedford, i can fit a new switch for you next Saturday (for free).

Reactions: iammooks

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Seat Leon 1.9TDi '54 plate.

I'm having intermittent problems with my brake lights staying on. Think it's the switch under the brake pedal. Thought I'd cured it with a bit of WD40 but it's back!!
HOWEVER - what's worse is that it has drained my battery FLAT. But when I try to charge the battery of course the lights come back on - aggh! So I have removed the bulbs from the left & right rear brake lights - BUT I have an overhead break light at the top of the boot. I don't know how to disconnect this one so that I can charge the battery & then take the car in to my garage.

Any help most appreciated.
i have sentPM

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise