Brake Pads do not fit

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
Hi all, really could use some help.. Just replaced all my discs and pads from stock to Brembo.. however the front pads are making a horrible knocking noise when going over small bumps / dips.. I've narrowed it down to the pads just do not fit.. see attached image.. the part number is P85144 when i put my reg into euro car parts etc.. they all bring up the same pads 175mm it's only when looking at other sites that provide OEM spec brakes I find ones that are 175.2mm which are the ones i took off previously.. am I doing something wrong or had anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 161

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi all, really could use some help.. Just replaced all my discs and pads from stock to Brembo.. however the front pads are making a horrible knocking noise when going over small bumps / dips.. I've narrowed it down to the pads just do not fit.. see attached image.. the part number is P85144 when i put my reg into euro car parts etc.. they all bring up the same pads 175mm it's only when looking at other sites that provide OEM spec brakes I find ones that are 175.2mm which are the ones i took off previously.. am I doing something wrong or had anyone else had this problem?
What's your car? Cupra? with 340mm discs?

This brake system design relies on the lower shoulder (circled) to constrain them laterally (side to side) - their overall width is only clearance so not important.

The OEM (genuine VAG) pad uses a multi layer composite shim - around 1mm thick. I often see aftermarket brands copying the backplate size but fitting their own cheap/thin shim - which will effect this critical fitment dimension. Can't make out from your photo how much clearance you have with this shoulder?

Did you actually receive P85144? as there is a smaller (similar looking) variant for 312mm discs which is 15mm narrower (P85126)- so 7.5mm each side looks like your gap could be around this size?

1653896173752.png

Brembo P85144 - using a cheap/thin shim
1653894892757.png

OEM pads:
1653895731162.png

1653895748647.png

Attachments

• 1653895315579.png
    1653895315579.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 1653895333820.png
    1653895333820.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 96

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
Hiya super thanks for the reply, the car is a 2015 seat cupra 280 and yes the brakes are 340mm front 310 back - the pads i've got are 175mm P85144. I think you are right about the brembo shim just being crap as well.. I've just checked and that corner you are referrring too is getting squished / bent inwards which is making the gap even worse.

These pads are the ones I took off.. and they're a perfect fit, they are double the price of the brembo ones I bought but at this point worth the extra money

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
I have the exact same issue with the brembo pads I recently fitted. Just ordered some replacements recommended by my parts supplier. Will update if any good!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Reactions: tony20

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
I have the exact same issue with the brembo pads I recently fitted. Just ordered some replacements recommended by my parts supplier. Will update if any good!

Sweet, I'll let you know how I get on with the OEM ones.. I can't imagine they will be loose too.

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
Right where do I start jesus christ what a ffffing palava... Had my front wheels off in total 6 different times.. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING TO DO WITH BREMBO AGAIN. Had the OEM ones delivered from SEAT today I could barley get them to slot in, they were so tight compared to te brembo ones that just fell into the slot. SuperV8 hit the nail on the head with the shims, the shims on the brembo pads are absolutely shocking comparing them side by side, the brembo pads did not have a lower shoulder shim, the shim it did have was flimsey, where as the OEM Jurid ones had a very strong shim both in the lower corner and at the top of the pad. note to anyone buying pads for their cupra just go OEM or if your going after market stay away from Brembo.. I actually put brembo discs on the front and the little screw that comes with the plate was instantly threading and since having the clutch done the head has broken off... so yeah Fvck Brembo.

Reactions: SuperV8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Right where do I start jesus christ what a ffffing palava... Had my front wheels off in total 6 different times.. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING TO DO WITH BREMBO AGAIN. Had the OEM ones delivered from SEAT today I could barley get them to slot in, they were so tight compared to te brembo ones that just fell into the slot. SuperV8 hit the nail on the head with the shims, the shims on the brembo pads are absolutely shocking comparing them side by side, the brembo pads did not have a lower shoulder shim, the shim it did have was flimsey, where as the OEM Jurid ones had a very strong shim both in the lower corner and at the top of the pad. note to anyone buying pads for their cupra just go OEM or if your going after market stay away from Brembo.. I actually put brembo discs on the front and the little screw that comes with the plate was instantly threading and since having the clutch done the head has broken off... so yeah Fvck Brembo.
Interesting feedback. As I have said 'many' time before :( aftermarket 'big name' brake system manufacture's pads (not just Brembo) - are not in the same league as genuine OEM pads. Don't believe any marketing BS or OEM 'equivalent!
If you have a nice (road) car just fit OEM pads. Only reason to look to change would be lots of track use - in which case you would need a 'track' focused pad which is optimised for high temps.
If you would like to save a few pennies I would look at brake friction lining manufactures ranges - rather than brake system manufactures.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I have heard from my mechanic friend that Brembo aren't what they used to be and now produce lots of products in China.

May be utter b.s

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I did get the pads and discs from Euro Car parts.. the thought they were fake never crossed my mind. That would be a shocker if they were selling fakes
They'll almost certainly be genuine from ECP, but there are a ton of fake brembo pads and discs online.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've noticed many posts across the VW Group motoring forums that have considered that ECP, while not selling fakes of anything, do tend to sell same brand "specials to ECP only" including "shorter" ranges of pads, which might explain the loose pads - ie they will do their job safely but not the best fit for that individual application. Some of this might be down to ECP being the sole official importer to UK of some of these parts/brands, so no direct comparison can be made by us in UK. I've always checked the brake parts manufacturer's website for correct "as fitted at factory" kit numbers - and twice that lead me to contact the UK sales arm of the brake parts manufacturer when I could not get the exactly correct parts - twice they sent out correct kits to replace the "not correct" kits sold to me by ECP. I'm not sure that I'm still up for doing this the next time with my 2011 S4 or my daughter's 2019 SEAT Leon Cupra, so after reading this, I'll be suggesting that she gets genuine parts from an proper preferred vender like CCP, as I will do for my 2011 Audi S4. My wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS - I'll use ECP for as that is a higher "sales volume" car and ECP should be selling exactly the correct pads and discs.

Symon

Dec 23, 2011
Oxfordshire
I heard that the Brembo which ECP supplied are made in china under licence, so whilst not fake they are certainly not what you would expect.

Certainly I have heard lots of negative reviews of them compared to Brembo supplied elsewhere.

I am not certain I would buy Pagid now either considering that ECP are the sole supplier, costs may have been driven right down on those too.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I heard that the Brembo which ECP supplied are made in china under licence, so whilst not fake they are certainly not what you would expect.

Certainly I have heard lots of negative reviews of them compared to Brembo supplied elsewhere.

I am not certain I would buy Pagid now either considering that ECP are the sole supplier, costs may have been driven right down on those too.
Maybe why the new pads i fitted to the missus mini cooper are absolute gutter.

Brembo from ECP 😔

Symon

Dec 23, 2011
Oxfordshire
I have read about it on several forums that people are not happy with them. It is probably best to order them from elsewhere.

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
So I have just fitted the replacement pads the part's supplier gave me to replace the brembo pads. I hadn't heard of Breck pads before but they seemed decent enough quality and fit a dam sight better and more snug than the Brembo's!!! Early days as only driven my usual commute home but not a single knock or squeak from them so happy day's. Part numbers in picture's below
9d0cf53ed4fe7278150d6f04051bc400.jpg
2f34b9e7d7587158ef4a759c01893b0a.jpg

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
So I have just fitted the replacement pads the part's supplier gave me to replace the brembo pads. I hadn't heard of Breck pads before but they seemed decent enough quality and fit a dam sight better and more snug than the Brembo's!!! Early days as only driven my usual commute home but not a single knock or squeak from them so happy day's. Part numbers in picture's below
9d0cf53ed4fe7278150d6f04051bc400.jpg
2f34b9e7d7587158ef4a759c01893b0a.jpg

Did this pad have piston cutouts like in the label image?
If yes then this is the wrong pad i'm afraid.
The Alhambra has a wear indicator the opposite to our Leon's - which means they are handed left and right it they have piston cut outs. Piston cut outs are designed to slightly angle the pad contact to the disc to help with noise - bit like you do with squeaking bike brakes.
I would also suggest that pad is too low in the carrier - meaning there is a large amount of disc above the friction material.

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Did this pad have piston cutouts like in the label image?
If yes then this is the wrong pad i'm afraid.
The Alhambra has a wear indicator the opposite to our Leon's - which means they are handed left and right it they have piston cut outs. Piston cut outs are designed to slightly angle the pad contact to the disc to help with noise - bit like you do with squeaking bike brakes.
I would also suggest that pad is too low in the carrier - meaning there is a large amount of disc above the friction material.
Yes had the cut outs for the pistons just like the original pads I removed and the brembo's. Also the ware sensor was the same as in the original pads.

Symon

Dec 23, 2011
Oxfordshire
My go to lower cost pads are Mintex. I have never had any issues with them.

I don't think it is a good idea to skimp too much on brakes (or tyres)

The Mintex are about £34 when bought through ebay.

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Yes had the cut outs for the pistons just like the original pads I removed and the brembo's. Also the ware sensor was the same as in the original pads.

Whenever a brake pad has a crescent shaped cutout on it's anti-noise shim this is called a piston cutout, and its there to reduce the pressure on the pads leading edge to help reduce the chances of brake noise.
VAG in their wisdom changed the wear indicator sides from the LH side on the older Volkswagen Group A6 (PQ46) (Sharan) platform to the RH side on our newer MQB platform cars (Leon 5F) This means the pads are not interchangeable between the two (even though the back plates are dimensionally the same).

Breck have 2x 'similar' part numbers,
24738 00 551 00 = Sharan/Alhambra
24738 00 551 10 = Leon Cupra/GTI

Afraid you were given the wrong 24738 00 551 00 part number for your car.
If the brakes are quiet then don't worry about it - but if you get brake noise this would be my first port of call.

1655107245176.png

From Breck's own catalogue:

1655107067474.png

1655107124258.png

Reactions: Symon
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members